How to get rid of Copperheads?

The Grand Kids were afraid of it. Said it "scares them". My brother in Alabama begged and begged me for it. So, he has it.

That brought back a memory. Spent 38 years living in Illinois and moved here a couple years ago. The only wild rattle snake I ever seen wasn't far from Clarksville in 1973 when stationed with the 101st. All my country neighbors tell me, "naw, ain't none of the rattlers around here"! This spring I have seen just about every native species except the rattler. In fact, I've seen more snakes on my property the last two months than all of since I've lived here. Guess it's because there's so many field mice / rats around here last couple years?

That brought back a memory. Spent 38 years living in Illinois and moved here a couple years ago. The only wild rattle snake I ever seen wasn't far from Clarksville in 1973 when stationed with the 101st. All my country neighbors tell me, "naw, ain't none of the rattlers around here"! This spring I have seen just about every native species except the rattler. In fact, I've seen more snakes on my property the last two months than all of since I've lived here. Guess it's because there's so many field mice / rats around here last couple years?

I live about 5 miles off the backside of post. Believe me...there here! Campbell is full of them as well as LBL!

There's not really such a thing as a snake that "doesn't attack humans". Any snake will strike if it feels threatened. That being said, Copperhead envenomation is very rare, and deaths by Copperhead pretty much non-existant. It's a very mild venom, relatively speaking.

I worked with a lady who was bitten on the arm by a copperhead while working in her garden right here in East Tennessee. Arm swelled to two or three times its normal size and part of it turned black. At one point, the docs thought she might lose the arm. A year later, she still had mobility issues in that arm and the docs told her that she would likely never regain full use.

I think I want nothing to do with even such 'mild' envenomization. A copperhead in the wild will be avoided. A copperhead in my yard will be treated as a threat.

Edited by JAB
Guest bkelm18

I worked with a lady who was bitten on the arm by a copperhead while working in her garden right here in East Tennessee. Arm swelled to two or three times its normal size and part of it turned black. At one point, the docs thought she might lose the arm. A year later, she still had mobility issues in that arm and the docs told her that she would likely never regain full use.

I think I want nothing to do with even such 'mild' envenomization. A copperhead in the wild will be avoided. A copperhead in my yard will be treated as a threat.

It will be different for different people, obviously. However in many cases they will not even administer an anti-venom for a Copperhead bite simply because the effects of the anti-venom will be worse than the venom. Any envenomation will suck, but relatively speaking, Copperhead venom is on the weak side thus deaths from Copperhead bites are extremely rare. The few that have died are usually the victims of multiple bites.

Edited by bkelm18

There is a thing called Snake-B-Gone that can be found at most home improvement stores and works great. I wanted to test it so I tossed a rock down a hole that I saw a snake go in and nothing happened. Waited 10 mins and tossed one of those small mothball sized balls down the hole and out came a snake in seconds and it was out of the yard fast. I then spread that stuff around the yard and have never seen a snake since but the neighbors still have issues.

He got some of the commercial stuff from lowes, hopefully it works, with the spring time he is more worried about the smaller young ones being around the garden ans such, he always heard that they were worse because they would dump all of the venom and cant stop, is that true?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

... smaller young ones being around the garden ans such, he always heard that they were worse because they would dump all of the venom and cant stop, is that true?

Maybe. Sometimes. Then again, they wouldn't have as much total volume to begin with, so ...

- OS