10/22 Aftermarket trigger group & adjustable aperture sights??

I'm doing it again, spending too much money on a 10/22.

I am looking to find a brand from someone who has purchased a complete aftermarket 10/22 adjustable trigger group and was happy with it. I would like it to be user adjustable if possible from approx 1.5lb - 3 or 4lbs.

I ordered a 29" Urban Rifle Supply standard taper barrel. I'm initially going to put it in a Archangel Target stock.

I also ordered a PWS T3 Toggle Trigger receiver/action (thanks for the suggestion Dol S-fly). Because the barrel doesn't have a front sight I ordered a Nodak Spud NDS-44 that has a narrower front sight post in a SKS style that slips over a standard taper barrel. Unfortunately I had already ordered a Tech Sight rear, which came with a front, prior to the PWS T3 order. The T3 comes with an integral Picatinny rail so the Tech can't be used - on this 10/22. I'll used the Tech set-up to my Stealth Sporter 10/22.

I need two things yet:

1) A Picatinny mountable rear sight that has windage and elevation adjustments and can have the apertures changed out to a variety of sizes.

2) An adjustable 10/22 trigger group.

Thanks,

Craig

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

Kidd trigger group is the best out there. Hands down.

I've got a 8oz./1lb that's adjustable down to 3oz./6oz. Even at 1lb, it seems like after you take up the first stage, all it requires is a thought to fire the weapon.

Tony makes the only trigger I'll use in a 10/22.

I'm excited about that action. Be sure to post a review.

I've got 4 or 5 stock triggers from past VQ replacement projects I am going to mod myself to see if I can do a pretty good one myself. I picked up a PC 10/22 sear/hammer check block to ensure my engagements are good to go. Thanks for the notion on Kidd. I think Kidd is the only one that comes as an adjustable. I put the Tech Fronts along with another aperture rear on my

"junkyard" 10/22. I'm probably going use some type of AR rear aperture sight on the picatinny railed PWS Toggle receiver. The Nodak Spud NDS-44 front sight works on a standard taper "sightless" 10/22 barrel. I tested it on my TI 1:9 twist threaded barrel. Just waiting for the backordered 29" barrel and my receiver. I may get a Kidd trigger group seeing as I have this much spent on the project, may as well go the whole Monty. I have 4 "homebuilt" trigger groups, one of which is pretty nice, two are OK and one needs work, so I have some to play with when the PWS receiver arrives.

Also, hard to beat a Kidd. Even for the money it is hard to beat.

Dolomite

I will plus one this +1....

I have shot a Kidd Trigger and it is in my opinion BETTER than even Volquartsen if you can believe it.

Is it worth it? It is if you have the extra money to spend and can really make use of the better trigger.

I got my spare hammers and the sears I had on hand and started experimenting a little bit this afternoon, along with the PC sear&hammer fitting block. I've come up with a couple of decent triggers, certainly not a Kidd.

I went back through RFC threads on 10/22 triggers and watched how Bob Dunlop of AGI showed where to "hack off" some material from both hammer and sear. I think a homebrew trigger will be enough to see how the long barrel and the toggle receiver work together. If it appears that Kidd trigger will make a dramatic improvement or put the icing on the cake then I can decide that later.

All I have ever used is factory parts for my triggers.

I will say there are a few things you need to do to make them great. First is shim the trigger parts to remove the side to side movement. WIth all the factory slop it is impossible to get a gun to reset reliably. Second you need to swap the sear and trigger return springs for lighter ones. I ordered a pack of varius ones from Brownells but you can likely find what you need at a hardware store.

Here is the best shim kit:

http://michigancenteroutdoors.com/shim_kit.html

http://michigancenteroutdoors.com/shim_kit_instructions.html

The deluxe kit is generally enough to do two trigger groups.

There are a few on here who have felt my triggers. They can attest to how well they feel for a factory trigger. Not Kidd great but better than most other triggers.

Dolomite

Dolomite,

Thanks for the link to the shims. Now that I have seen the link, I remember having seen those kits before, just didn't get the shims, although I have PC shims aplenty for S&W tune-ups, just nothing that fit 10/22s. I'll get a deluxe stainless kit.

Because they were on sale I got a couple of PC aluminum overtravel triggers. These have the hole for the adjustable sear. They simply won't work without modification with stock parts. I should have got the adjustable sear kit. I have to contemplate what will be my next step to get them to work. Regardless if you back out the over travel screw or even shorten the trigger return plug the trigger won't move the sear enough to release the hammer. I thought that the trigger might be good just to have the overtravel screw with no hassle, but there is a hassle. I suspect the JB Weld sear trick would work here but I might not feel like monkeying around with that.

Craig

• Admin Team

Let me know if you want to meet up and shoot one of these days. I'm happy to bring the 10/22 I did from an 80% receiver last year specifically to shoot suppressed SSS's, and I'm also glad to pull my Kidd trigger if you'd like to try it on your rig.

Gordon and I talked about a project I'm contemplating the other day. I've got a couple of projects in front of it, but I'd like to build out another 80% receiver in .22WMR but experiment with making the equivalent of a SSS round in .22WMR. I'd have to talk to David about bullet choices, and expect I might even have to make my own mold. But, it has potential to be a lot of fun.

I'm really interested to see how you like that toggle bolt.

Edit: adding this so I can find it later - http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/apr96reloading.html

Edited by MacGyver

You getting a lot of port noise with the SSS?

Every semi auto I have tried them in the port noise is louder than the shot itself out of a can or long barrel. I even made a anti bounce weight for my Ciener kit to add weight to the bolt. It helped some but I still get a lot of noise.

Dolomite

• Admin Team

I've got a Kidd bolt, too which ships with light, medium and heavy springs. With the medium or heavy spring installed I don't get much. It seems to slow it down enough to make the difference.

I'd like to try one of the toggle bolts, though. I like the capacity of a 10/22, but have no issue with being required to actuate the bolt.

• Admin Team

They're completely legal. You could even make it, shoot it for a while and then decide you want to sell it. So long as you aren't mass producing them for sale, there's no issue.

The thing I like about the Select Fire receivers is their quality. Put one next to a cast factory receiver, and you'd choose the billet machined 80% one every time.

For anyone who wants to do it, I've got all the bits you'd need and a drilling jig that makes it almost foolproof. I'd be happy to loan them out to anyone who wants to try it