Does a small SA 9mm exist??

Guest bazookazilla

Guest bazookazilla

I have looked for a small single action 9mm for the last luittle bit and have not been able to find one. I know there are 9mm 1911's to be found, but I am looking for something smaller for my wife(She doesn't know this). She can shoot a 9 pretty well, but is terrified to shoot larger calibers. She has no interest in carrying, but I would really like there to be a gun in our home she feels comfortable with. I have a .40 and a .45. She fired my .40 once and has refused to pick it up ever since. She does very well with a .22 and pretty good with a 9mm, but the other ones frighten her badly.(BTW, It's not a big difference, but in her head it is, so that makes it a big difference). It's one of those things I will just have to let happen. But she does much better with a single action only.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Verbal Kint

Not sure how much you'd want to spend on such a gun... but an HK P7 would be a nice fit for what you're wanting.

The CZ RAMI would be an excellent option as well. Small, 9mm, can be cocked and locked. :confused:

EDIT:

CZ_2075_RAMI.jpg

STczrami_031005A.jpg

Edited by Verbal Kint
Photo
Guest DrBoomBoom

I don't know how small of a gun you need. There's an FM Hi Power "compact" that's a little smaller than a standard HP. And CZ makes a sub-compact called the RAMI, it's a da/sa, but has a standard browning design safety rather than a decocker, so it could be used as an sa.

Guest Verbal Kint
And CZ makes a sub-compact called the RAMI, it's a da/sa, but has a standard browning design safety rather than a decocker, so it could be used as an sa.

Beat ya to it! :confused: But shows great minds think alike.

If by small you mean it will fit her hand, I would go with a Hi-power. combine the weight with a small grip and there is very little perceived recoil. I have one in 40 S&W and it has less felt recoil than my Walther P99 or former XD9 and FNP9. Not to mention it is a proven design. The Walther P99 is also an excellent gun for smaller hands and a joy to shoot.

A small 9mm will have the same felt recoil, or even more snappiness, than a large .45 pistol.

Perhaps a mid-size 9mm with some weight to it would be a better option for introducing the recoil-sensetive to carrying a viable defensive weapon.

The H&K P7 suggestion was exactly what I was thinking...

Guest darkstar

You could try a Sig P239 in 9mm.....might not be as tiny as some others but is small, single stack magazine, and all steel so recoil is not an issue. While not a true SA, it is a DA/SA with de-cocking lever.

Guest sling

HK P7 Definitely. I love mine to death. Full size 4 inch barrel in a compact thin package. Magazines are pretty much near impossible to find though so if you order one see if you can get another mag with the package. Best defensive handgun IMO.

This may not make sense.. but the recoil is alot like a full size 1911 without the muzzle flip.

The P7 has a very low bore axis and points naturally... almost like an extension to your wrist.

Doesnt the Sig 239 have an aluminum alloy frame?

Edited by sling

The P7 is the best 9mm pistol ever made, end of story. A more economical route would be the Star Firestar M43... great little guns, a shame that the Spanish government killed the firearms industry over there. Anyway, you can still find plenty of the Firestars out there, usually reasonably priced.

DanO

Guest darkstar
HK P7 Definitely. I love mine to death. Full size 4 inch barrel in a compact thin package. Magazines are pretty much near impossible to find though so if you order one see if you can get another mag with the package. Best defensive handgun IMO.

This may not make sense.. but the recoil is alot like a full size 1911 without the muzzle flip.

The P7 has a very low bore axis and points naturally... almost like an extension to your wrist.

Doesnt the Sig 239 have an aluminum alloy frame?

Yeah, meant to say all metal frame.......

Guest sling
The P7 is the best 9mm pistol ever made, end of story. A more economical route would be the Star Firestar M43... great little guns, a shame that the Spanish government killed the firearms industry over there. Anyway, you can still find plenty of the Firestars out there, usually reasonably priced.

DanO

+1000

Or possibly the best pistol made period. :P

Modern day Luger if you ask me.

Kel-tec makes a little 9mm. Maybe that is omething you might like. I have no experience with the gun myself.

That's a DA.

Everyone is suggesting fairly expensive gun so I guess I'll throw out a cheap option.

Coming from Serbia (yeah, them) is a single stack SAO 9mm all steel called the Zastava. I had one here and sold it, for IIRC $269. It is obviously based on a Tokarev, looks a lot like one. Very slim. Like most com-bloc stuff (or former cb in this case) it isnt technologically sophisticated or well fitted but it will work.

That's a DA.

Everyone is suggesting fairly expensive gun so I guess I'll throw out a cheap option.

Coming from Serbia (yeah, them) is a single stack SAO 9mm all steel called the Zastava. I had one here and sold it, for IIRC $269. It is obviously based on a Tokarev, looks a lot like one. Very slim. Like most com-bloc stuff (or former cb in this case) it isnt technologically sophisticated or well fitted but it will work.

I knew it was a DA, but I thought that is how this whole message board suggestion thing works. Someone asks for opinions on a certain type of gun, and then you totally ignore that request and tell them about something similar.:D

No really, that is all I had to bring to the table. I wasn't much and it wasn't correct.....but hey at lest I got the caliber right.:(

Guest Steelharp
The P7 is the best 9mm pistol ever made, end of story.

Really? Wow... well, guess that settles that. :(

Edit: Ok, maybe that sounded flippant. Let me ask; if that's the case, why is it out of production, and things like the BHP are still around? Let me add, I have never shot a P7, only handled one at Rabbi's for a while. The squeeze thing seemed very non-positive. If you don't hold your tongue just right, it seems to be prone to stopping the gun from firing. Doesn't seem like "best ever made" quality, to me. But, I admit to zero firing experience.

Edited by Steelharp
Guest atomemphis

What about the itty bitty glock 9mm, or the EAA little bitty 9mm, or the Kahr I've seen at was pretty small as well.

Really? Wow... well, guess that settles that. :(

Edit: Ok, maybe that sounded flippant. Let me ask; if that's the case, why is it out of production, and things like the BHP are still around? Let me add, I have never shot a P7, only handled one at Rabbi's for a while. The squeeze thing seemed very non-positive. If you don't hold your tongue just right, it seems to be prone to stopping the gun from firing. Doesn't seem like "best ever made" quality, to me. But, I admit to zero firing experience.

dcloudy is right: the P7 really is the best 9mm made. Sorry. Sell a couple of your sissy 1911s and invest in one and you'll see why. It would be a perfect gun for you btw as the bore axis is low and you seem to shoot well with guns like that.

Why is it out of production? Because it got too expensive to make and people wont spend $1400 on a compact 9mm carry gun (they will spend twice that on a full sized 1911 safe queen but no one ever accused 1911 owners of smarts).

Like most things, if it's popular it's no good. If it's good, it's not popular.

Star bm, all steel a little heavy but that will help with recoil. I love mine and it will hit as well as i can. Spanish police pistol and can be found at most shows between 200.00 and 250.00.

Thanks for sharing...I had never seen one of those before and really like the looks of it. Guess I'll have to keep an eye out. I need something else cheap and fun to burn some of this 9mm ammo through.

Guest sling
Sell a couple of your sissy 1911s and invest in one and you'll see why.

Oooo....Ouch. Though i couldnt agree more. :(

This will probably open up a bigger can o' worms than the whole crappy glock arguement.

Having owned or owning Glocks, Sigs, 1911's of various years and makes, Rugers, HK's, Walthers, Lugers, Brownings and the P7 itself I can say that IMO the P7 was just about the best auto-pistol ever made. I think the Rabbi is right, we don't live in a gun era where a company can afford to mass make Ferrari's, especially the auto-loading world. There's too much competition for competent, less expensive and yes cheaper pistols.

That said, I'm not sure they would be right for everyone. They have to make sure they can squeeze the cocker, my wife because of a herniated disk in her neck doesn't have the strength to do so. Also, I don't want everyone to want one, that only drives up the cost for me buying second one. So, NO DON'T BUY A P7, they are JUNK.