Going to buy a motorcycle

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest atomemphis

I ride as well, "the lower the displacement the better" is going to be my forever long opinion as a sport riding enthusiast.

I started on a wee small dirt bike. I transitioned to street bikes. I would benefit to still be on a Ninja 250. My ego wanted a fancier bike, and awhile ago I got into the European sport riding community a la Ducati.

The biggest lesson one who is interested (learning or veteran) in riding can learn is to attend a track day. Barber Motorsports park in B'ham is one of the nicest facilities in the country. You'll see guys on those 250's pass 1000cc superbikes.

You don't need loads of power to go fast, just have smooth hands and know what you are doing.

So I will continue to vouch for small displacement bikes (<550cc) for people until they have reached its limits (which is hard to do).

Guest grimel
Next, 250 is all I want for several reasons. MPG first, don't need to do 170 anymore 2nd. (did it on the old 900 and it was great and scary).

I like the handling on the sport bikes though and like the ride better than straight up seating on a cruiser style.

If you are really looking for MPG and cost, the 250 Ninja is king. Given a steady right hand 70mpg is "easy", but, it can be wicked up to 100 for long periods. More than one person has used the baby Ninja for solo sport touring. In the rest of the world (and the US until the 70's) 250's are considered road bikes. I used to 2 up on a 350 twin.

If price is your main concern, Toledo Honda (yes, it's in Ohio) will have the price to beat.

If MPG is more important than cost, look at the 125-250cc scooters, 100mpg becomes reasonable with DRY storage for groceries (2 or 3 bags) and decent weather protection. The 250's have enough electric (as does the 250 Ninja) to run an electric vest/jacket liner to extend your riding into the winter (I ride to work down to 10 last winter) until snow/sleet/ice covers the road.

Brought it home tonight. Suzuki GS500F from American Motorsports in Madison/Rivergate. They didn't have any Ninja 250's in stock and only sell Kawasaki at their Nolensville Road location.

It was the right price because it was an 07.

Sorry for the stock pic but its dark outside. Thanks for your input, I did take it to heart.

GS500FK7_GrayBlack_4b4a52.jpg

Awesome! I've heard many good things about the GS500 series, and I'm sure you got a great deal on it since it was a leftover '07.

As far as the 250 goes, if it's any consolation, I was in America's Motorsports on Nolensville Rd. early this week, and they did'nt have any 250s in stock there either. From what I can gather, those little buggers are rather hard to come by right now. Haha, I'll stick to riding my '04 Ninja 250 and maybe pick up a bargain on an '08 this winter...

Unless of course, I decide I really do need that Ducati Monster 695...

Guest grimel

The list of motorcycle I want is only exceeded by the list of guns I want and not by much.

Guest Disney

I rock out on a 1993 Honda CN250 (Helix Scooter) as my daily whip. I guess they says it's like bangin a fat chick. It's all cool until your buddies see you on it. :D

I really like my bike though. VERY comfortable, will do 80+mph top speed, and knocks down 70mpg every day. I take girls for rides on it quite often as well and they all love it. It's got plenty of power for two people (and i'm 255 pounds of pure pain).

Congrats on the GS!! I've always liked those bikes.

I'm going to ride as much as I can. Put 33 miles on her tonight breaking it in around Westmoreland and Bethpage.

Going to have to run her back by America's Motorsports though as it has two issues. One is a "gurgling" sound coming from the tach between 2500 and 4000 RPM...weird right? The other is the idle is not coming back down to a normal idle even after fully warmed up. Its staying up around 3500 RPM until I give it a bit of clutch engagement and it will come down but pop right back up at the next stop. I think the choke cable needs adjustment for this.

Other than that she is a dream to ride. Much easier to horse around than my old ZX900 Ninja from the late 80s.

I come through G town every morning and afternoon going to work. Airport road to bypass town and then 109 south to just before hitting I-40. I will keep an eye out for that beauty in black.

Guest atomemphis

As a Monster owner (M900), I would tell you to go ride it. Its a really great bike. Best Mechanic for many miles is in Nashville at Corse Motorsports (his name is Alain Ledgerwood). Also good for conversation.

Just remember, a 6 mo. wait for parts you broke after a lowside isn't unheard of.

Guest grimel
Just remember, a 6 mo. wait for parts you broke after a lowside isn't unheard of.

That's a good excuse to buy the Duc and a UJM as backup.:up:

I'm going to ride as much as I can. Put 33 miles on her tonight breaking it in around Westmoreland and Bethpage.

Going to have to run her back by America's Motorsports though as it has two issues. One is a "gurgling" sound coming from the tach between 2500 and 4000 RPM...weird right? The other is the idle is not coming back down to a normal idle even after fully warmed up. Its staying up around 3500 RPM until I give it a bit of clutch engagement and it will come down but pop right back up at the next stop. I think the choke cable needs adjustment for this.

Other than that she is a dream to ride. Much easier to horse around than my old ZX900 Ninja from the late 80s.

I come through G town every morning and afternoon going to work. Airport road to bypass town and then 109 south to just before hitting I-40. I will keep an eye out for that beauty in black.

I work on airport road, but you will have a hard time seeing it because when I ride it to work I cover it up with a bike cover. You might even have a harder time seeing it because I think I got it sold, a guy came and looked at it Sat. and said he was going to buy it Mon. I know I am going to miss this bike but I like to get out and ride the back roads and this bike is made for getting out and tearing up the curves and going down the road at high speed :drool: and I think if I dont slow down on it I am going to get a fat ticket. Now that my wife has her m/c license it is not as much fun riding around at regular speeds. Plus my friends from church all ride cruisers and I am either leaving them on the curves or riding the brakes in the curves.

If everything goes like I planning on, I will be getting a Kawasaki Mean Streak.

Meanone.jpg

Mean1.jpg