Going to buy a motorcycle

I figure gas is going to get worse before it gets any better and I'm already paying 80.00 a week just to go to work and back. Add a few side trips and I'm doing a 100.00. Going to have to finance it but figure that anything in the 200.00 a month range is still saving money, especially until mid fall.

Okay, I'm mid 40's but young at heart. My last bike was a Ninja 900 but I sold it in 1989 when I got out of the service. I'm looking at the Ninja 250 and waiting on a quote from America's Motor Sports. Also going to swing by the Castle on Gallatin Road and check out this bike and company I found surfing. UM bikes?

So my questions. Any better shops in the area that I don't know about? How much profit do the shops build in...can they be talked down?

Anyone know anything about these UM bikes?

V2S250R_sideBLK_SM.gif

The Kawa 250. Hopefully not in the green but Plasma Blue

nv59096_6_400.jpg

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The UM or United Motors is made by Hyosung and has twice the HP of other 250's (even the Japanese stuff). There is a shop over on 2nd in Nashville called A-1 Funcycles that has the Hyosung 250's (which are exactly the same as UM). UM is a US distributor for Hyosung. BTW if you get a Hyosung before july 1, you get free gas for a year! Here is the website http://www.hyosungmotorsusa.com/. Check out the http://www.alternativecruisers.com/index.php?action=forum. I had a Hyosung GV250 (cruiser) that was awesome for a 250, till I got run over.

Here's was mine.

IMG_2363.jpg

Edited by Smith
The UM or United Motors is made by Hyosung and has twice the HP of other 250's (even the Japanese stuff). There is a shop over on 2nd in Nashville called A-1 Funcycles that has the Hyosung 250's (which are exactly the same as UM). Check out the http://www.alternativecruisers.com/index.php?action=forum. I had a Hyosung GV250 (cruiser) that was awesome for a 250, till I got run over.

Here's was mine.

IMG_2363.jpg

Where are the "after" pictures?

Hope you're healing well.

Guest Jason F.

Skip the UM and other import clone bikes. They clone designs of already existing bikes like the very capable SV650 from Suzuki. Only problem is they use lower quality materials like weaker castings and steel tube. They can make a bike some would be happy with but long term reliability, parts availability, and resale value can not match that of one of the big name makers. They are already well ingrained in the market and while Korean or Chinese bikes may not be total junk they just do not have the foothold in the market yet.

I really like the Kawi 250 as a starter bike, a bike for a smaller person, or a commuter bike. I know several people who own larger more powerful motorcycles who use the 250 as a track bike. They have no problems passing less skilled riders on 600 and 1000 cc sport bikes. I personally do not fit well on them due to my physical size.

If you do not mind a cruiser style there are a bunch out there that get good mileage. If you want worry free look for shaft drive and water cooled. I have a older Honda that is shaft drive, water cooled, a v twin, and gets a little over 50mpg. My Suzuki 600 is an inline 4 sport bike and consistently gets mileage in the high 40's.

If you can find a deal on a used BMW F650GS they are great bikes. Very high mileage consistently in the high 70's and 80 mpg range. Good resale and reliable. Nice torque with the single cylinder thumper.

Skip the UM and other import clone bikes. They clone designs of already existing bikes like the very capable SV650 from Suzuki. Only problem is they use lower quality materials like weaker castings and steel tube. They can make a bike some would be happy with but long term reliability, parts availability, and resale value can not match that of one of the big name makers. They are already well ingrained in the market and while Korean or Chinese bikes may not be total junk they just do not have the foothold in the market yet.

I really like the Kawi 250 as a starter bike, a bike for a smaller person, or a commuter bike. I know several people who own larger more powerful motorcycles who use the 250 as a track bike. They have no problems passing less skilled riders on 600 and 1000 cc sport bikes. I personally do not fit well on them due to my physical size.

If you do not mind a cruiser style there are a bunch out there that get good mileage. If you want worry free look for shaft drive and water cooled. I have a older Honda that is shaft drive, water cooled, a v twin, and gets a little over 50mpg. My Suzuki 600 is an inline 4 sport bike and consistently gets mileage in the high 40's.

If you can find a deal on a used BMW F650GS they are great bikes. Very high mileage consistently in the high 70's and 80 mpg range. Good resale and reliable. Nice torque with the single cylinder thumper.

Actually UM/Hyosung made all the parts for Suzuki, until a few years ago. Now they import their engines from Suzuki.

OK folks, first, used would be my first thought but if you have noticed, I have been SELLING guns of late. I have to finance this so USED isn't going to work. Most folks don't want the call to be how much will you take per month...

The wife works for the school system so she doesn't get checks for three months every year but no one quits eating or using the AC at my home during the summer:rolleyes:

Next, 250 is all I want for several reasons. MPG first, don't need to do 170 anymore 2nd. (did it on the old 900 and it was great and scary).

I like the handling on the sport bikes though and like the ride better than straight up seating on a cruiser style.

Thanks for the info on the UMs nsnate02. I will check into that further, especially since they state the bikes can get 113 mpg on their site.

Guest Jason F.
Actually UM/Hyosung made all the parts for Suzuki, until a few years ago. Now they import their engines from Suzuki.

That has been long rumored and for a very long time neither Suzuki or Hyosung would confirm or deny it. It was also a common rumor that Hyosung purchased molds and tooling from Suzuki or more probably (as things often work in machining and manufacturing) designed molds and tooling in partnership. Regardless they do use different and varying degrees of quality components.

I have ridden a Hyosung and a SV and the Hyo is no where near the bike the SV is. One of the biggest differences is the absolutely crappy frame on the Hyo. More than one review confirms my seat of the pants comparison that while cheaper and not necessarily a bad bike they are not up to the same quality levels as the bikes they clone. All of that is neither here nor there as he is talking about the 250 and I do not have any direct experience with it. If they are infact importing motors from Suzuki fine but if they are not importing the frame, controls, ect as well than it is a different bike.

They cost less so it should be expected and I do not really fault them for using cheaper components. The main reason I would not own one is they tank on the resale market and parts availability is not what it should be. Their dealer network is expanding but it will be years before they can match the network of the bigger makers. I see them as where honda cars were in the late 60's and 70's and where hyundai was in the late 80's or early 90's. Lower name recognition, smaller dealer network, ect, ect. Honda is now known for reliability and such but was an unknown then. Hyundai was worse off as they had some real quality problems. They still do not have the name Honda or Toyota does but they are getting serious good press and are making some rather good cars these days. They may have had good names in their home countries but it took many years to build the brand here in this country. It will be the same for the Korean and Chinese bikes (and cars for that mater).

The Kawi 250 can be had very inexpensively and they are very easy to sell if you need to move on. I have never seen anyone have a problem selling one. By the way if you think a 250 Kawi is a slow bike you do not know how to ride, it is more than enough to get you in trouble either legally or physically.

I might add that the UM/Hyosung have two year bumper to bumper warranties. My thinking was for the price and warranty etc. spending the extra cash on a name wasn't worth it.

Plus you get free gas for a year. Ignore the name slaves. If you're getting a high dollar bike, sure, resale is a factor, but for gas, commuting, etc. the UM/hyosung can't be beat. Esecially when you factor in the double up on HP, warranty, etc.

Here is a couple of reviews. The only difference in the 650's and 250's is engine.

http://www.motorcycle.com/manufacturer/hyosung-gt650r-review-75270.html

Here is a comparison of 250 cruisers (name brands included)

http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/roadtests/250cc_cruiser_comparison/index.html

As far as the "rumor" about Hyosung and Suzuki partnership, S&T (Hyosung Parent Co) details it on their website. It originated in the 70's.

Guest GT_Rat

The new Kawi 250's are selling faster than the dealerships can get them. A friend has been trying to get one recently and nobody in Nashville could get him one. They all had waiting lists to buy. Consider the EX500 as well. Not too much more expensive,similar gas mileage, and more grunt to get you going as well. I have to say I agree with Jason on the UM/Hyosungs along the lines of reliability. They are unproven and I don't care to be a guinea pig. If it breaks down I want parts to be available now not in three weeks when they can ship them in from Korea. That said they are nice looking bikes and if they do build a reputation for quality I'd consider one. It would be cool to have a little 250 buzzer to tool around town on. :P

For what I have seen a 250 bring used at the auctions you should definitely buy used. Even with gas being what it is most people absolutely regret buying a 250 so resale is pretty awful which should pay dividends for you. I couldnt imagine riding a bike that was slower then my Lexus lol.

Don't listen to the people that discard the Ninja 250 as a toy...these are the same people who argure that a 'busa is better than some other bike because it .2 seconds faster in the quarter mile. They are selling like hotcakes because they get 75mpg and will still send a average person 0-60 in 5.5 or so seconds.

---BUY USED--- They have been selling the same bike for 20 years with little change and there are tons of them on the market. Craigslist is a great place to look.

Guest GT_Rat
Don't listen to the people that discard the Ninja 250 as a toy...these are the same people who argure that a 'busa is better than some other bike because it .2 seconds faster in the quarter mile. They are selling like hotcakes because they get 75mpg and will still send a average person 0-60 in 5.5 or so seconds.

---BUY USED--- They have been selling the same bike for 20 years with little change and there are tons of them on the market. Craigslist is a great place to look.

New body work, 17" wheels and revised cam timing on the 08. Not a thorough redesign but when you have a great package to begin with all it really needs are refinements.

Where are the "after" pictures?

Hope you're healing well.

Afraid I won't have any. Went to see it today and it looked pretty bad. Exhaust, gas tank, front end, front fender, etc. were all beat up pretty good. The insurance co has it now and the lawyer said i won't see it again.:(

New body work, 17" wheels and revised cam timing on the 08. Not a thorough redesign but when you have a great package to begin with all it really needs are refinements.

Yeah...I saw that they have changed it some. Because of spare parts availability I would still by all means suggest that someone pick up the previous generation for $1500 less.

They did make it look considerably more aggressive!

Yeah...I saw that they have changed it some. Because of spare parts availability I would still by all means suggest that someone pick up the previous generation for $1500 less.

I'm thinking about giving my '04 the streetfighter treatment and picking up an '08.

Guest GT_Rat

I think the only thing you might have to hunt for spares on would be the body work. Maybe. Under the skin it's still essentially the same bike like you mentioned earlier.

Poak, a streetfighter 250 would be pretty cool. How much aftermarket is there for the little Ninja? Much in the way of performance parts? Maybe some serious forks and shock. Some wider wheels/tires? A dual disk front brake setup? You could make a hell of a twisty terror.

Edited by GT_Rat
Guest Jason F.

Forget all the UM/Hyo stuff discussed here and go ride one. Plenty of people like them and there are good reviews. Plenty of people do not like them and they get plenty of bad reviews. Only thing that is going to make up your mind for you is riding several options available and comparing first hand. My ride on one of the Hyosung bikes showed me that it was junk when compared to the bike it clones.

Now the fun stuff. Yes there is a nice little aftermarket for the Kawi 250 not huge but it is out there. Many people do make some interesting rides out of them. Check this out...

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=68519

654917424835.jpg

If I was not 6'2" and 260lbs I would have a Kawi 250 in my garage. As it is I have too many bikes in the garage but I would sell one of them to get a Kawi if I fit better.

Guest Jason F.

I will also add this to consider. If gas were .99 cents a gallon and mileage were no concern to you would you still go out and buy a motorcycle to commute on? If you can not answer 100% yes than buying one because gas is $3.50 a gallon may not be the best idea.

If you are buying new the payment and the full coverage insurance you will be forced to carry can pretty quickly eat up any savings you gain over your already existing car. You are also adding in extra maintenance. You owned a bike before so you know more frequent valve checks/adjustments, chain maintenance, far shorter tire life, ect. That all adds up to offset any savings. You may slightly reduce the cost of maintenance on your car due to slightly less mileage but you will not eliminate all of the costs. You also need some gear, at least a jacket, a helmet, and some gloves. When I started riding I got all of that for about $200 by shopping some clearance sales and online. I quickly added to that though to improve over the cheaper gear I bought at first.

I commute on a bike 4 to 5 days a week nearly year round. I more or less ride unless there is ice/snow or below 35 degrees. I would do it no matter what the cost of gas as I just like to ride. I normally take a nice long ride on the way home from work to hit my favorite corners. I do not save a ton of money doing it even though I have cheap slightly older bikes, cheap liability insurance, and do my own maintenance work.

Guest GT_Rat
I will also add this to consider. If gas were .99 cents a gallon and mileage were no concern to you would you still go out and buy a motorcycle to commute on? If you can not answer 100% yes than buying one because gas is $3.50 a gallon may not be the best idea.

If you are buying new the payment and the full coverage insurance you will be forced to carry can pretty quickly eat up any savings you gain over your already existing car. You are also adding in extra maintenance. You owned a bike before so you know more frequent valve checks/adjustments, chain maintenance, far shorter tire life, ect. That all adds up to offset any savings. You may slightly reduce the cost of maintenance on your car due to slightly less mileage but you will not eliminate all of the costs. You also need some gear, at least a jacket, a helmet, and some gloves. When I started riding I got all of that for about $200 by shopping some clearance sales and online. I quickly added to that though to improve over the cheaper gear I bought at first.

I commute on a bike 4 to 5 days a week nearly year round. I more or less ride unless there is ice/snow or below 35 degrees. I would do it no matter what the cost of gas as I just like to ride. I normally take a nice long ride on the way home from work to hit my favorite corners. I do not save a ton of money doing it even though I have cheap slightly older bikes, cheap liability insurance, and do my own maintenance work.

Well said. 45 degrees is my limit though.

Brought it home tonight. Suzuki GS500F from American Motorsports in Madison/Rivergate. They didn't have any Ninja 250's in stock and only sell Kawasaki at their Nolensville Road location.

It was the right price because it was an 07.

Sorry for the stock pic but its dark outside. Thanks for your input, I did take it to heart.

GS500FK7_GrayBlack_4b4a52.jpg