Leaving firearm in car while at a park

Guest MrsS

Guest MrsS

I am sure that somewhere in this forum is a similiar question to the one I am about to ask, but since I am not adept at looking for such things, I will write a quick one here.

I know I cannot carry in a playground...my inquiry is: can I leave my firearm in my vehicle parked on aforementioned property? Thanks.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest GLOCKGUY
Fallguy,calling Falguy :D

I say your car is an extension of your home,so I carry everywhere in my car with out worry.However some will chime in and say otherwise...

hes looking it up right now :taunt:

The only exception mentioned in 39-17-1311 for keeping it in a car is for picking up and dropping off passengers. Sub-part (:D(1)(G)(iv), not for leaving in the car while you are in park for other activities.

Without advocating any certain course of action....if you are taking a child to the playground and sit quietly and watch them play, what reason would any LEO have to search your car?

There really is nothing in T.C.A. that would make you think your car is an extension of your home. You can have a handgun at your house or your property without a HCP, but you have to have one to take it of your property in your in your car.

Guest nraforlife

Also not suggesting any form of action but the Army rule is 'Don't ask, Don't tell' Also write your reps and ask them to pass more HCP friendly carry laws.

Edited by nraforlife
Guest kwikrnu
Without advocating any certain course of action....if you are taking a child to the playground and sit quietly and watch them play, what reason would any LEO have to search your car?

What happens if someone calls 911 to report someone in a car watching kids playing on the playground?

Even if the cops see you have a gun and you are charged with a crime you may be able to get out of it. I base that upon the law and not what the AG thinks about the matter.

Guest shadow12
What happens if someone calls 911 to report someone in a car watching kids playing on the playground?

Even if the cops see you have a gun and you are charged with a crime you may be able to get out of it. I base that upon the law and not what the AG thinks about the matter.

Or you may be able to spend some quality time with a large man that calls you sweety, and likes to cuddle.

Do not put yourself in that position. If the firearm is stolen, did you make it hard to get? If not, you may face vicarious liability if the firearm is used in a crime.

If the boys in blue get a call that a grown man is watching kiddies play, they will not want to hear anything you have to say. They will ruin your day, and your life savings. You cannot blame them.

Carry in violation of the law? If something happens, you are in trouble. If you have to use your firearm, you may be immune from prosecution, but do you want to risk a shot on a playground full of untrained, panicked children and parents, running every which way, and probably in front of your muzzle?

Think about this real hard. There may be a park with Security on premise.

There are bold pilots, and old pilots. I am an old pilot.

As a trainer of Armed Professionals and Citizens, I NEVER suggest to one to break the law. Company Policy!

Since when is someone responsible for the actions of another with property that was stolen from them? What would make it any different than a handgun stolen from the parking lot of a place that serves alcohol for onsite consumption?

Also the OP is female and I think the whole question about leaving it in the car comes from she gets out of the car, not sits in it and watches the kids.

I also get out with my kids at the park.

If the "boys in blue" were called to investigate an adult watching children at the park...I think they would just about have to ask you questions and listen to your answers. Maybe the adult has kids in the park and has gone back to the car to use the cell phone that is on the charger, to retrieve and item or any number of things. But as far as I know, sitting in a public place and simply watching people is not a crime. Ever go to the mall and see people on the bench watching others? It's called people watching and many people do it. No granted an adult watching kids may get more scrutiny and even an order to "move along", but don't think you'd be arrested without being able to speak a word.

Also not sure where in public one could use deadly force without the chance others being around....guess maybe it's better to just stay home and not go to the park at all.

Guest MrsS

Fallguy,

You are correct, I do not sit in a car while my 4 year old child is playing in a playground;

my inquiry stemmed from the fact that I carry my firearm, obviously, and if I wanted to stop at a local playground and leave my firearm in the car..how liable would I be if my handgun is stolen while my car sits on the playground's property? Would the law (if any) go against me because now they may say that the law stated no firearms on playground propery, etc. and you did not follow the law by having a firearm, in the car notwithstanding, on prohibited property.

That is what I am inquiring on. Thanks to all who responded...no matter the response, LOL.

Your car is your car no matter where it is parked at.Nobody can tell me what I can and can not have in my car.Its the same with my house.Your property is your property,period.

I dont see any signs as being legal that says anything about guns in cars,or parking lots,etc.

Now,if someone wanted to ban my car from there parking lot then I would abide by that

strickj, while I agree with you in principal, the law simply does not.

There are many things that you can do or have in your house that you can not in do/have in your car when it is in public in TN. Firearms are definitely one of those things.

Yes your car is your car, but unlike your house it is mobile, you can take your property (car) on to other's property. It would appear, at least in TN, the rights of the owner of the immobile property (parking lot, etc...) supersede the rights of the immobile property owner. Your body is the most personal thing you have, but there are many laws that regulate what you can put into it, on it, where you can take it etc..... :D

When it comes to the carrying of a firearm in ones car,if you have a HCP then you are legal to carry in your car.I have seen no laws telling me otherwise(not counting fed parks)I duno maybe I forgot,or missed something but I'm not worried about it one bit.

If you were in the wrong and was carrying in your car when not supposed to then so what.No one can do anything about it.No one can go through your car with out your consent

Guest kwikrnu
When it comes to the carrying of a firearm in ones car,if you have a HCP then you are legal to carry in your car.I have seen no laws telling me otherwise(not counting fed parks)I duno maybe I forgot,or missed something but I'm not worried about it one bit.

If you were in the wrong and was carrying in your car when not supposed to then so what.No one can do anything about it.No one can go through your car with out your consent

Parking your car in, for example, a high school parking lot and going inside to conduct business is against the law.

Parking your car in, for example, a high school parking lot and going inside to conduct business is against the law.

No it is not.

39-17-1309

© (1) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, any firearm, not used solely for instructional or school-sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in any public or private school building or bus, on any public or private school campus, grounds, recreation area, athletic field or any other property owned, used or operated by any board of education, school, college or university board of trustees, regents or directors for the administration of any public or private educational institution. It is not an offense under this subsection © for a nonstudent adult to possess a firearm, if the firearm is contained within a private vehicle operated by the adult and is not handled by the adult, or by any other person acting with the expressed or implied consent of the adult, while the vehicle is on school property.

Guest grimel
If the boys in blue get a call that a grown man is watching kiddies play, they will not want to hear anything you have to say. They will ruin your day, and your life savings. You cannot blame them.

Oh, yes I can blame them. I'm pretty sure when it's all said and done any decent lawyer would have it so my life savings is considerably larger.

Last I checked it's still innocent until proven guilty. God help them if I'm there with any of my crumb crunchers and they commit the stupidity you have alluded to. Between DCS and my lawyer bankruptcy would be the best they could hope to get out of it.

Guest 270win

No metal detectors at any of the parks and i don't carry switchblades or other 'prohibited' weapons, so i see no law broken whether in your car or on your person. The attorney general may not agree, but he can't read plain English and is making up his own law as he sees fit. Charges would probably be dropped quickly if caught carrying a handgun in a park that doesn't have any posting.

Charges would probably be dropped quickly if caught carrying a handgun in a park that doesn't have any posting.

I've always thought that was one of the weirdest parts of that law. That it requires a sign (even has specific measurements) to be posted, then goes on to say that the legislative body or committee appointed by them for that park can exempt itself from having to post a sign.

Too bad HCP holder can't pass exemptions to the off-limits places of their choice. :crazy:

Guest grimel
I've always thought that was one of the weirdest parts of that law. That it requires a sign (even has specific measurements) to be posted, then goes on to say that the legislative body or committee appointed by them for that park can exempt itself from having to post a sign.

Too bad HCP holder can't pass exemptions to the off-limits places of their choice. :crazy:

Trying to make sense out of the gun laws will drive a man to strong drink in large quantities.