Taurus buys Heritage Mfg. Meet the Rough Riding Judge!

From all I have heard from friends that own them, the Heritage Rough Riders are decent pistols. The only negatives I've heard is about the superflous safety and the finish, which isn't always the best. But then again, for $200, I ain't expecting to be getting a Ruger Single Six. But they do go bang every time with decent accuracy. Maybe Taurus is trying to learn a thing or two from them and that's why they bought them.

Edited by Moped

i actually like the heritage revolvers...especially for the price...and taurus's...well..they keep trying and their warranty isn't too shabby even when you bubba up the gun yourself as Caster can attest :cool:

Bazinga!!!

Guest RottenCore

I own a Taurus slim PT709, It is a nice pocket 9MM. It seems to work just fine. (I used to own a Sig Sauer P239but had to sell it) Taurus not only makes the guns, they also make the machines that make the guns. They also provide a lifetime repair policy, for the life of the gun! So, if you sell it, the warranty goes with it.

I do own a Heritage Rough Rider. I have had zero issues with it. The target pictured below was shot with Winchester 40 grain JHP WMR ammo at 100 yards at the Spring Creek Shooting Range back a couple of years ago. All shots were fired using more or less a Weaver stance, not from a bench or shooting rest (I don't generally shoot from a bench, rest, etc.) and so are offhand shots. There was just about zero wind that day and I shot the first cylinder full more as a lark than anything. Seeing that I put holes in paper, I decided to try and 'dial it in'. With the second cylinder, I did better on judging windage but overcompensated for elevation. You can see that, with the third cylinder full, I put four holes in the paper with one actually near the bulls eye. We didn't have a spotting scope so I was walking the 100 yards to the target stand and back between each cylinder load. If I had a spotter with a spotting scope to guide me on each, subsequent shot rather than basically just 'guessing' the Rough Rider might have done better. This was with a 6.5 inch barreled Rough Rider with fixed sights, just as it is shown in the picture that I took right there at the range after retrieving the target. Could I do it, again? Who knows. I am not that great a shot so I give the gun a lot of credit. As you can see, there was no keyholing even at that distance. The Rough Rider was inexpensive but it throws the same lead downrange and makes the same holes in targets as a Single Six or any other, more expensive gun in the same chambering. I love my .44 Mag Super Blackhawk but I really can't see paying Blackhawk money for a single action .22 Revolver (i.e. the Single Six.)

Target3-22Mag100yards.jpg

Likewise, my Taurus 66 has given me no trouble whether shooting .38 Special range ammo, full-house .357 defensive rounds, 158 grain JSP or even 180 grain Buffalo Bore hardcast rounds. I bought mine used (according to the serial number, it is a late '80s vintage) and there was a tiny, little burr in one of the chambers when I got it but about thirty seconds with fine sandpaper wrapped around a pencil fixed that - why no one else had done so over the years I cannot say. It throws the same lead as a Smith and Wesson or Ruger .357 and does so with at least as much accuracy as I am capable of using. It is my bedside gun and if I have to use it 'for real' then the target will be no less shot than if I were using a S&W.

What I think would be interesting would be if the two companies would work together to come up with a 'Buntline' type (16 inch barrel or so) convertible .22 LR/WMR with a non-removable reproduction of the old, removable wire buttstock - effectively making a convertible .22 revolving carbine. I think that would be a somewhat unique product that would go along well with the idea of the Circuit Judge (which is the only Judge I would want to own.) Heck, if they could figure out how Beretta got away with the Neos being legal to switch back and forth from pistol to carbine maybe they could even make the butt stock removable.

Edited by JAB