Range report on Savage 10BA from D&T Arms:

Range report on Savage 10BA from D&T Arms:

To say this rifle exceeded my expectations is an understatement! I have been reading up on the performance of this rifle for the last year or so and from what I read, I wanted one. I picked up the rifle from Dave at D&T a few weeks ago and only have shot it a total of 3 times. However, the 3rd time was a charm. :)

Last weekend my 13 year old son (who is a very good shot) but never shot this rifle before, 1st time out managed a less than 4†group at 400 yards in a 14+ MPH cross wind. I was not real happy w/ the scope placement and made a few adjustments before the next time out. He was happy!

Collin_Savage_BA.jpg

This morning the wind cooperated and I thought it would be a good time to dial this thing in. Made a few fouling shots and adjusted for windage since last time out. Put a fresh target up and here were my last 5 shots using 168g Black Hills ammo.

DSCF0742.jpg

This is an 11" target. The group measured 2.25†at widest point. All 5 shots were in the 10 ring. Pretty close to being a .5 MOA gun at 400 yards with out of the box ammo. I’m not a trained shooter by any means (just like to shoot and a little OCD). This gun totally exceeded my expectations. Look forward to doing some 600 and farther shots.

As long as I’m gloating, decided to try my ’43 Winchester M1 Garand at 400 yards. Never shot that far w/ iron sights. Thanks to the range officer who was there and called some splashes so I could get it on target after some elevation adjustments. Made 8 hits on a silhouette w/ HXP 63 surplus ammo at 400 yards.

DSCF0745.jpg

Overall, had pretty darn fun day! :)

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

thats a 338 lapua right?

beautiful rifle!

No, that would be nice too! :) It's a .308. My 13 year old son shoots this and when I considered having him shoot some matches, both the price per round and shoulder beating, I pretty much settled on the .308. I was using Black Hills 168g which gets costly enough after a few hours.

Forgot to add pic of rifle.

DSCF0720.jpg

I have the Savage 110 HS Precision in 338 Lapua, started to go with the BA but couldnt justify that much extra money for the chassis, anyways it shoots like a dream,Savage really has their stuff together here lately it seems. I too take my 110 out to Montgomery County Shooting complex from time to time, but every time I pull the trigger and watch everybody jump I cant help but to feel like a dick lol, to avoid the angry masses at the range I typically shoot my 110 on my cousins land where I can stretch it out to a little over 1,200 yards,its an easy 1moa rifle and thats with me not having much experience past 600. Also you would be shocked at how little recoil my 338 has the factory muzzle brake does wonders, I would say its recoil is the same as a non braked 308 bolt gun or possibly less,but you are right about the ammo, I shoot the 285 gr Hornady Match out of mine which is some of the cheaper stuff and it runs around $90 a box.

Edited by ~48_South~