Copy of the US Constitution in your BOB?

I was perusing some websites and videos last night and ran across a video where a fellow had included a copy of the US Constitution and Declaration of Independence in his BOB. At first I was stumped and he didn't really explain why; just pointed it out as if this was a common mainstay of everyone's BOB. The more I have thought about it, I think I kind of like the idea. If we see the EOTWAWKI, one would have the two main inspirations for our society on hand. I might include one of those little Gideon Bibles as well since maintaining hope is part of the survival process. Thoughts?

Guest bkelm18

It would be a waste of space, in my opinion. If it's the end of the world, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence don't mean squat. They barely mean squat anymore as it is.

If you can afford the space for a feel good item or two, do it. If it serves as a moral booster for you, then it's worth it. Personally, I rather use the space for another roll of toilet paper. They are on equal terms now and when TSHTF the TP will be worth more.

It would be a waste of space, in my opinion. If it's the end of the world, the Constitution and the Declaration of Independence don't mean squat. They barely mean squat anymore as it is.

Nope, won't be worth diddly when it happens.

I'll pass. If it gets that bad and it's time to start over, I will write my own constitution. It will have 3 lines:

1: Be kind to one anohter

2: The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (helps keep #1 polite)

3: If you don't work, you don't eat

Guest A10thunderbolt

I'll pass. If it gets that bad and it's time to start over, I will write my own constitution. It will have 3 lines:

1: Be kind to one anohter

2: The right to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed (helps keep #1 polite)

3: If you don't work, you don't eat

This works for me!

If you can afford the space for a feel good item or two, do it. If it serves as a moral booster for you, then it's worth it. Personally, I rather use the space for another roll of toilet paper. They are on equal terms now and when TSHTF the TP will be worth more.

You could use the constitution as TP - heck - Obama already does!

Guest 6.8 AR

It's actually quite a good idea. To have a reason for this country's existence and renewal would be

a great reminder to have around. There aren't too many places on Earth that works the way we

used to.

I keep one close by, anyway.

Guest ThePunisher

It probably wouldn't hurt for everyone to carry around with them a pocket size version of the constitution, just to remind them that they live in the greatest country the world has ever known, and it is all because of that great document. I would probably venture to guess that 40 percent of the people born the last 30 years don't know what the constitution is or what it represents.

Guest USMC 2013

If TSHTF, mankind ends. For a more realistic SHTF, say like in the book "Lights Out", I can see where having a copy of the Constitution and Declaration of Independance would be very valuable. Depending on how bad it got during the sh*t storm, there might not be many links to our founding around, so those documents would help a lot during the rebuilding phase. Just my two cents,

Joe

Just download a version for your phone

I assume that if things get so bad that we need a copy of the Constitution as a historical artifact to restore society, my phone will be useless. In fact, I generally plan on not having a phone when I put together any of my survival equipment. Phones are not water resistant, run on special batteries that need to be recharged, and work off of cell service that doesn't reach many rural areas and requires a healthy power grid to keep the network up. Also keep in mind that after 9/11, between the loss of cell towers on the World Trade Center and the millions of people flooding the network to make phone calls, cell phones were basically useless. It's a nice extra to have, but I don't put much hope in it being useful in a SHTF situation.

Guest zort

if we were in the shtf scenerio last thing i would be thinking of is the constitution. id be more concerned with surviving and saving my family

SHTF, i dont see a real use for it. But of its TEOTWAWKI, it could definetely prove useful along with many other things that dont belong in a BOB.

Bottom line, it doesnt belong in a BOB but it definetely has a place in your preps at home. Remember a BOB is merely a 72hr bag not rebuild society bag.

Edited by nightrunner