Working the Trigger...One Man's Take

Guest Paul Gomez

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was able to shoot this way with my Glock 34 until I thought I needed to switch to a 1911 (I shoot IDPA). Two years ago, I could literally shut my eyes and feel the 34 reset if I thought about it (with no gun in my hand). Now that I'm shooting a Glock again, I'm gradually getting back to that level. This weekend, we shot a stage that required 12 shots at 35 yards. This was the first time in memory that I was actually aware of resetting the trigger while shooting and hearing the click (at least, during a stage). It was 35 yards, so I was shooting more slowly, but the fact that I noticed the clicking kind of concerned me. Noticing it became a concious thought, which is often a bad thing to have in the middle of a stage (at least according to Enos). Maybe I am just getting older, lol. Anyway thanks for posting the video--I enjoy them all.

Guest 6.8 AR

I never thought about doing it that way. It makes sense, though, and I will work on it next time at

the range. Thank you, Paul. Great video!

Guest Paul Gomez

Any chance you could upload your videos to vimeo? Youtube is blocked by big brother.

I don't mind if someone does but it takes me over two hours to upload a single video!

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Paul. You make interesting and well-explained videos.

I'm not a good shot and likely never will be. Perhaps the "sequential order" you describe is related to the "follow through" concept? Have read the concept applied to pistol shooting, though this quoted reference is in context of rifle--

http://www.biggerham...s/23-10/ch3.htm

FOLLOW-THROUGH

Applying the fundamentals increases the odds of a well-aimed shot being fired. When mastered, additional skills can make that first-round kill even more of a certainty. One of these skills is the follow-through.

a. Follow-through is the act of continuing to apply all the sniper marksmanship fundamentals as the weapon fires as well as immediately after it fires. It consists of-

(1) Keeping the head infirm contact with the stock (stock weld).

(2) Keeping the finger on the trigger all the way to the rear.

(3) Continuing to look through the rear aperture or scope tube.

(4) Keeping muscles relaxed.

(5) Avoiding reaction to recoil and or noise.

(6) Releasing the trigger only after the recoil has stopped.

Am not dredging up a random reference to contradict what you say. Only trying to "make sense" of why the "sequential method" might be taught that way? I may have incorrectly interpreted such advice as quoted above, but had been practicing holding the trigger back until recoil done on the theory that the advice has merit. Obviously the bullet has exited the barrel "well before recoil is even noticed" but It is easy to flinch or anticipate recoil, and holding the trigger for awhile seems one strategy against flinching or anticipation? My skill set being so limited, it might introduce anticipation by rushing the process too much. In the past had fairly bad anticipation problems for instance with stiff .357 mag loads though I've somewhat eliminated it.

But will try what you suggest and see if it makes much difference in tightness of groups. Though the groups are usually so loose it might be difficult to tell a difference unless missing the paper entirely. :)

Thanks Paul. You make interesting and well-explained videos.

I'm not a good shot and likely never will be. Perhaps the "sequential order" you describe is related to the "follow through" concept? Have read the concept applied to pistol shooting, though this quoted reference is in context of rifle--

Am not dredging up a random reference to contradict what you say. Only trying to "make sense" of why the "sequential method" might be taught that way? I may have incorrectly interpreted such advice as quoted above, but had been practicing holding the trigger back until recoil done on the theory that the advice has merit. Obviously the bullet has exited the barrel "well before recoil is even noticed" but It is easy to flinch or anticipate recoil, and holding the trigger for awhile seems one strategy against flinching or anticipation? My skill set being so limited, it might introduce anticipation by rushing the process too much. In the past had fairly bad anticipation problems for instance with stiff .357 mag loads though I've somewhat eliminated it.

But will try what you suggest and see if it makes much difference in tightness of groups. Though the groups are usually so loose it might be difficult to tell a difference unless missing the paper entirely. :)

It's easier to teach and learn the fundamentals in series than simultaneously (hence why the OP mentioned that he was talking about more advanced skills). When training a new shooter, it's tough enough to get them to practice the fundamentals of sight alignment and trigger squeeze much less trying to get them to do multiple skills simultaneously.

He did say that you should start by learning sequentially.....

Be CAREFUL about prepping the trigger before you are totally on target.

That sounds like a recipe for an AD to me.

On the reset thing...it would be very easy to start bouncing off the trigger that way.

I would say that if you start missing your followup shots, then just hold your follow through a little longer and work back tot he faster method

Guest ORgunner

Right on the money right there. Recently i got the pleasure of going to the 160th SOAR pistol range with their instructors and that is exactly what they taught.

• 1 month later...