Miami to use license plate scanners Memorial Day weekend

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/28/v-fullstory/2778395/all-eyes-on-miami-beach-this-memorial.html

• License plate readers that use multi-angle scanners to record vehicle tags will be placed along the Julia Tuttle and MacArthur causeways to record just about every car that drives into South Beach. Recorded tags will be entered into a database that police will use to find outstanding warrants, cars reported stolen, expired registrations and other potential violations. Vehicles with tags that kick back violations to police will be stopped.

Understood. Point was, they are actively setting up in a confined area and recording data on all vehicles entering that area during a certain time period, not just scanning your tag during a traffic stop. That is not sop.

scan anytime and reecorded even driving through a parking lot or down the road/sitting still, no dif

Sorry my post of this story seems needless to you, feel free to ignore it. Some people may be interested in the implications that it presents.

Understood. Point was, they are actively setting up in a confined area and recording data on all vehicles entering that area during a certain time period, not just scanning your tag during a traffic stop. That is not sop.

It's SOP in Franklin. This story is from 4 years ago.

http://www.newschann...keep-roads-safe

The message appears to be; don't drive into South Beach if you have warrants or plan on driving drunk or causing problems. It dosen't sound like they are messing around.

Edited by DaveTN
Guest 6.8 AR

We're becoming very allowing to the Orwellian

society structure. Some like it, and I don't.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry my post of this story seems needless to you, feel free to ignore it. Some people may be interested in the implications that it presents.

no need to post this bro, just letting other folks know whats going on in your backyard.

i got pulled over 2 weeks ago they wanted to search my truck i wouldnt let them held me up about 3/4 of an hour before they let me go

Good for you! If i ever get pulled over and they want to search my truck i can tell the NO.

if they have ample reason they won't ask.

I have the time to stand up for myself.

And I don't think this deal in Miami sounds legal. 1984 is finally here.

Memphis has been doing that for years. I knew a couple of cops that dropped a car off on the highway and then went up the road a mile or so and when the scanner got something they would hop on the motorcycle and pull them over. There is also a cop that almost every friday night sits at the wolfchase mall scanning plates. I was told if the weather is nice on holiday weekends, they park as many of the cars that have that system as they can and sit on the bikes and wait. With Memphis in May going on I am sure that it will be in full effect.

The City of Tampa, FL, installed cameras throughout Ybor City years ago. They use facial recognition software to scan the crowds of people that come to party there. The toll booths on the Florida Turnpike film cars that travel thru. Both are the same principal as what Miami is doing.

IIRC you don't have a reasonable expectation of privacy in public places so your rights are not being trampled upon. Its the world we live in, get use to it.

Guest bkelm18

Its the world we live in, get use to it.

Bingo. I know we don't like it and all grumble and whatnot, but that's just the way the world is turning. It's only going to get worse.

Bingo. I know we don't like it and all grumble and whatnot, but that's just the way the world is turning. It's only going to get worse.

And most of us are simply going to continue to take it up the arse, so just go ahead and bend over.

Edited by DaddyO
  • Like 1

I think the implications here are the eyebrow raising part. Could this be misused? Sure. Will it? Not likely. Scanning plates in a public domain and only going after folks with warrants is no different than a police officer running random plate numbers as he goes about his business until he gets a hit. Unless this database of plates is being entered into some master database that tracks where everyone goes then I don't see a problem, but I'll admit that I get an uneasiness when technology like this is becoming commonplace at the same time Americans are caring less and less about the relevance of the Constitution and the principles of liberty. This same technology in a totalitarian government would be the scary stuff.

Guest mcgyver210

Unfortunately partly due to Sep-11th our entire Government has been the real terrorist & has decided our forefathers didn't have the right idea so a POLICE STATE is here to stay & will continue to invade our lives on all levels. We are rapidly loosing freedoms & most are just saying the Government & its agents are on our side.

By the time people wake up it will be too late for democracy to survive.

Unless this database of plates is being entered into some master database that tracks where everyone goes then I don't see a problem, but I'll admit that I get an uneasiness when technology like this is becoming commonplace at the same time Americans are caring less and less about the relevance of the Constitution and the principles of liberty. This same technology in a totalitarian government would be the scary stuff.

BINGO! Couple that with this and you've got complete mobility tracking -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2119386/Could-governments-recognise-ANYONE-instantly-CCTV-Japanese-camera-scan-36-million-faces-second.html

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2011/07/smile_youre_on_everyones_camera.html

http://www.pcworld.com/article/229742/why_facebooks_facial_recognition_is_creepy.html

http://www.rmtracking.com/blog/2011/08/19/government-gps-vehicle-tracking-may-soon-be-mandatory/

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2009/09/uncle-sam-eyes-vehicle-tracking-tax/

Guest mcgyver210

I think the implications here are the eyebrow raising part. Could this be misused? Sure. Will it? Not likely. Scanning plates in a public domain and only going after folks with warrants is no different than a police officer running random plate numbers as he goes about his business until he gets a hit. Unless this database of plates is being entered into some master database that tracks where everyone goes then I don't see a problem, but I'll admit that I get an uneasiness when technology like this is becoming commonplace at the same time Americans are caring less and less about the relevance of the Constitution and the principles of liberty. This same technology in a totalitarian government would be the scary stuff.

Not for one second do I believe that they wont be keeping info gathered even if they LIE saying they aren't. Seems other government types said they didn't keep pics but later it came out they did.

The best way to deal with any Government Agency now days is to always assume if they are talking they are "Lying" This isn't to say all are lying but you are safer to assume they are since they know they can get away with it

yes it will be misused . this happened to me in memphis i wasnt speeding just got pulled over no ticket. the officer told me it would make him feel better if he was able to search my truck. i ask why and he called more to my truvk this was at the 35 mm going in to memphis .by the time it was over 5 unmarked cars and 7 policemen were there i guess they thought i had drugs or something

I guess it is a matter of perspective. I can see how some people would be concerned about our gov't tracking our movements and activities. I currently live in the Memphis area so my #1 concern is with the people that I come into contact with on a daily basis. Now, if I were ever to move to Idaho and become Randy Weaver's neighbor I may be more concerned with our gov't and its' acttivities.

yes it will be misused . this happened to me in memphis i wasnt speeding just got pulled over no ticket. the officer told me it would make him feel better if he was able to search my truck. i ask why and he called more to my truvk this was at the 35 mm going in to memphis .by the time it was over 5 unmarked cars and 7 policemen were there i guess they thought i had drugs or something
I'm a former LEO and if this crap were to happen to me I'd tell the officer that I ain't his momma so it ain't my job to make him feel better. He needs to get his panties out of a wad cause I ain't giving consent to search nothing.....Also, he'd better give me dang good reason for stopping me without a violation. Edited by EB-SF
  • Like 2