The Garden Thread

Ours isn't great either. Deer have eaten the green beans and peas. Coons have destroyed the corn. Between rain any my wife's insistence on traveling, I've let weeds pretty much take it over. We have had plenty of squash, zucchinis, tomatoes, and cucumbers. 

We have enough stuff froze and canned that I'm not real worried about it.

Edited by gregintenn

I planted an about 3 weeks too early this year. Which turned out pretty good after having to cover everything a couple times for frost warning. I had about a dozen tomato plants. Radishes planted everywhere I could find room. Later Japanese mustards greens, sweet corn, cucumbers and green beans. First off I never ate so many radishes in my life. The tomatoes came in very well we froze a lot.  Had mater sandwiches and blts, and salads, gave the neighbors some. Things are slowing down quite a bit now but hopefully will get a few more tomatoes.  I also had a bunch of broccoli planted but I don’t think it’s going to work out. 

• Like 1

My tomatoes are coming in faster than I can handle. I canned 5 quarts on Saturday and 7, almost 8 more today. Something I do that helps... I process my tomatoes, a couple of times a week if necessary, (I did all 7+ quarts today) and put them in the fridge in their canning jars until I have 7 quarts to run the canner.  I've put up 21 quarts of tomatoes this month. Starting to wonder how many we really need?

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm pretty much done with my garden this year apart from tomatoes and peppers. We  have put up a bumper crop of peas, had a decent squash output, and just OK on everything else. Now, to focus on the sweet sorghum. I'm hoping to cook around the beginning of September. 

PXL_20240805_155750844.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/26/2024 at 11:04 PM, 10-Ring said:

My tomatoes are coming in faster than I can handle. I canned 5 quarts on Saturday and 7, almost 8 more today. Something I do that helps... I process my tomatoes, a couple of times a week if necessary, (I did all 7+ quarts today) and put them in the fridge in their canning jars until I have 7 quarts to run the canner.  I've put up 21 quarts of tomatoes this month. Starting to wonder how many we really need?

Get peppers, onions, and such and make salsa.  Or make marinara.  Leave them in the fridge for a day or two before canning, help intensify the flavor. 

We overdid it with tomatoes this year. Tried out a few different types, but ultimately we've decided that cherry or beefeater is what we like best. Next year will be fewer plants and to spread into different crops. Right now we have two raised beds but with a plan to build 3-4 more and surround it with gravel walkways.