Kalinka Optics

Does anyone know about the quality of Kalinka? I bought a Vostok CM-2 (pics later) from a friend on here and was wanting to put a Russian scope on it to keep on track with the "sniper's training rifle." I know there are much better out there but I think a Russian optic on a Russian rifle would be more fitting.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Dunno anything about the quality of kalinka and russia is just as capable of manufacturing junk as anybody else. On the other hand, some russian optics are world-class, so you might end up buying something that can compete with anybody's stuff optically.

There are some "high end" amateur astronomy russian scopes that cost, but cost a little less than equivalent "high end" from USA or Japan. They ain't free regardless where they come from. Just sayin, some of the russian scopes are world-class.

I mean I have a Leupold scope sitting around that isn't being used if I wanted a good piece of glass sitting on the rifle, but I want that Russian looking optic. In my opinion the Russian optics just have look about them that is distinctive. Supposedly these optics are meant for the AK/Dragunov/SVD/Russian platform so I'm not worried about slapping one on a .22.

Guest Lester Weevils

Yeah, dunno if it is a valid characterization, but a long-held stereotype on Russian design philosophy is to build stuff so heavy-duty and klunky that the equipment is not very likely to break. Klunky has a certain aesthetic charm.

Edited by Lester Weevils

That's why I like the Russian guns and equipment. Ugly? Yes. Then again there is a certain charm to the industrial look, almost like a former age. Unlike the current U.S. equipment and such that is more streamlined and futuristic looking. Well I guess when you really think about it most of it was probably designed when it was still the Soviet Union so it really is a different age. I'm reading really mixed reviews about them. Half the people say don't order it, the other half say do it. Seems really hit or miss.

Edited by gjohnsoniv

Most of what they sell are current or former Russian military optics made in the same factory as the originals. Many of the designs are not currently in use but were used in a variety of conflicts and wars in the past. They work. Some have some very unique and rather good "technology" options. Just be advised that some of the bulbs and batteries can be like most other Russian stuff .... their own design. Kalinka fortunatly sells a lot of the parts and accessories.

So would you recommend going for one of their scopes or going with another company?

If you are wanting a true Com-bloc optic desinged for the AK, then absolutley. Otherwise, it is 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other . Check this thread out, it'll give you a pretty good idea of how uniue and different the Russian optics can be. I personally like the Kobra's. http://www.theakforum.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=158248

I should add that the Russian optics used to be the only good solution for AK optics, but with the advent of the TWS rail, Ultimak, and some of the other mini red dot mounts you can use "better" or more accessable comventional Optics like Aimpoints, Eotech's, etc. As much as I like the Russian optics the TWS with an EoTech is simply awesome!

Well this is for the Vostok Cm-2 .22 rifle. It has that dove tail mount on the side of the receiver for the diopter sights, but I wanted to scope it without drilling and tapping.

http://www.jmtpublishing.com/articles/2011/A_CM_2_Side_to_Top_base.asp

I found that site and think I might to that. Originally I was Thinking about using the scope for the SVD, but I think it would be too high. Also I want to make it look more like a sniper's rifle so a red dot is out of the question, especially one that costs twice as much as the rifle itself, lol.

Majority of the scopes for SVD were made in Belarus, not Russia

The marking on true Russian scope would be

KMZ (KM3 Cyrillic)

LOMO (can not type it in my keyboard in Cyrillic)

I can highly recommend the scopes made in Kiev (Ukraine) the marking would be Zenith

Be aware that Kalinka also sells Yugo and Romanian scopes of questionable quality

Majority of the scopes for SVD were made in Belarus, not Russia

The marking on true Russian scope would be

KMZ (KM3 Cyrillic)

LOMO (can not type it in my keyboard in Cyrillic)

I can highly recommend the scopes made in Kiev (Ukraine) the marking would be Zenith

Be aware that Kalinka also sells Yugo and Romanian scopes of questionable quality

Good points. However, when these optics were issue Belarus was Russian ;)