Tennessee carry permit class in spanish?

Guest kwikrnu

I don't think comparing dissabilities with illegal status is a very good arguement:rolleyes:.

Who was doing that? People were questioning whether one should carry if they could not speak or understand English, not about legal status. It is not illegal to speak another language other than English.

Also I don't think the legal status of the OP's wife to be in this counrty has ever been in question.

Edited by Fallguy
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no but the way i feel is if you come to America to live you should at least try to learn English. why should we have to learn what they speak

You don't have to learn what they speak.

I also agree if someone is going to be in the country long term they should at least attempt to learn at least basic/conversational English.

My point has been why does one need the ability to speak period, let alone a certain language to be able to shoot a BG in defense of their life?

Guest BG38357
Before this thread breaks down to a discussion on immigration, I agree with your quote to a point. I would say that "I feel when people come to the United States of America they need to learn English." We keep this crap up we will be no better than the Balkans.

+1 :koolaid:

Who was doing that? People were questioning whether one should carry if they could not speak or understand English, not about legal status. It is not illegal to speak another language other than English.

Also I don't think the legal status of the OP's wife to be in this counrty has ever been in question.

1. You were. The language issue was hand in hand with legal status. To strip it down to simple legalities is naive at best

2. Half of the thread was trying to determine exactly what the details of an "alien" wanting to take a HCP class were. The legalities of his wife were in question because of miscommunication in language and definitions. If that miscommunication can take place in an "english" thread, don't you think it is pertinent that residents in the same country use a common language.

Much like a deaf or mute finds a way to communicate with others around instead if insisting that everyone else learn sign language or read lips as they do?

Guest GLOCKGUY
Just because someone comes here doesn't mean they want to stay. They may be visitors or employed for a short time because of their expertise. Why should those people learn English?

I usually speak Spanish in public. Why? Because I can and I know it drives people nuts not knowing what I am saying. :eek:

To clarify my wife has always had legal status and is currently a permanent resident alien and has been for a long time. She doesn't know if she wants to become a citizen and I'd like her to keep her status in case we'd ever like to move to Chile.

if i was visiting Mexico i would not try to learn their language. i would buy one of those books to help me out while i was there but if i was going to move there. i would at least try to learn their language

Edited by GLOCKGUY

No sir...my post have never been about the legal status of anyone in this country, the legality of having to speak English or teaching a class in English or trying to compare being deaf or mute to a legal status. (That is what I was accused of.)

My point about being deaf or mute was to address these series of post...

Hows the wifes english? Reason I ask is if the wife ever had to pull her piece on a Bad Guy and shot him/her the case could be made against your wife that the criminal could not understand what she was asking/telling him/her to do. Could be a big bag of worms for you, your wife, the instructor and school.
If she is in fear for her life what exactly would she need to tell/ask the BG to do first? No need to say I'm going to shoot you, I think the drawn and aimed gun would make that obvious.

If a BG has a knife, you draw your gun...I guess you could order the BG to drop his knife if you so chose to, but no requirement to do that.

What happens if you tell a non-english speaking criminal something in english?

I always thought you only pulled a gun when your life was threatened. In anycase where my life is threatened words are probably not needed.

Oh I beg to differ. I would suggest contacting a lawyer who specializes in the field to find out what you may be leaving yourself open to.

To me it seemed the point was being made she needed to be able to speak English to issue command to or asking questions of the BG. My position was no one needs to issue commands or ask questions of a BG before defending themselves. So the inability to speak English would be no different than being able to speak at all.

The whole deal about immigration, legal status etc.... is not what I have addressed in any of my threads and am not going to be drawn into that debate. My only comment close to it was when I said that anyone that intendeds to stay in this country for an extended period should learn basic or conversational English. And that you don't have to speak English to be legally in this country.

Guest tjbert47
Hows the wifes english? Reason I ask is if the wife ever had to pull her piece on a Bad Guy and shot him/her the case could be made against your wife that the criminal could not understand what she was asking/telling him/her to do. Could be a big bag of worms for you, your wife, the instructor and school.

Years ago we had a legally blind guy want his permit also. Nothing in the code says you can't carry if blind - called the Dept of Safety on this and they said nothing in the law against it either. None of the instructors in town would touch him with a 10ft pole, can you image being summoned to court to defend yourself for passing a legally blind guy. Now I heard we got his permit but where he went to get his class is beyond me.

Your kidding right?

Guest GLOCKGUY

Originally Posted by nraforlife viewpost.gif

Years ago we had a legally blind guy want his permit also. Nothing in the code says you can't carry if blind - called the Dept of Safety on this and they said nothing in the law against it either. None of the instructors in town would touch him with a 10ft pole, can you image being summoned to court to defend yourself for passing a legally blind guy. Now I heard we got his permit but where he went to get his class is beyond me.

14104_BSMeter_2.gif

Edited by GLOCKGUY
Guest Verbal Kint
Come on! They're only here for the jobs us lazy Americans don't want. Access to free stuff is the least we can do. Heck, without them, how would anything get done around here?

Bring back slavery? Problem solved.

Guest tcampbell
no but the way i feel is if you come to America to live you should at least try to learn English. why should we have to learn what they speak

+1

I have no problem with anyone coming to America LEGALLY as long as they learn to speak english. We shouldn't have to post signs and offer classes in any other language but english. No offense intended to anyone, it is just the way I feel and my opinion.

Guest tcampbell
if i was visiting Mexico i would not try to learn their language. i would buy one of those books to help me out while i was there but if i was going to move there. i would at least try to learn their language

... +1 again

guys this is all a mute point. First of all, as far as I know, the Dept of Safety doesnt have an approved lesson plan in any other language but English. The manditory film, all range commands, and the written test are all in English.

I dont see any way around it... technically nor legally. In any event no instructor will probably want any part of it due to liabilities of the language barrior.

Anyway, good luck.

Guest nraforlife
Your kidding right?

Nope not BS at all. He wanted to be able to pack and there was nothing in the code, at the time and there I don't think they've changed it, that said he couldn't if he could pass the course.

If an instructor wanted to take on the liability is a different story.

Guest nraforlife
guys this is all a mute point. First of all, as far as I know, the Dept of Safety doesnt have an approved lesson plan in any other language but English. The manditory film, all range commands, and the written test are all in English.

I dont see any way around it... technically nor legally. In any event no instructor will probably want any part of it due to liabilities of the language barrior.

Anyway, good luck.

Just a racist xenophobic course that needs to changed so everyone who is in the state legally can pack heat. I vote for Mandarin and Farsi.

Anyway, good luck.

Thank you for the straight forward and to the point answer.

Thank you for the straight forward and to the point answer.

It's like waving a red flag at a bull sometimes.

Aren't driver's license examinations given in languages other than English? If so I dont see any problem with an HCP class given in something else.

fwiw, my great grandfather came here in the 1910s and lived here until the mid-50's when he died. He never learned English more than just a few words. It was a choice he made.

As for the basic question of whether someone who cannot speak English has a right to defend himself, I think that ought to be obvious. Self defense is a human right. It is not limited to American citizens or people who speak a particular language.

A person who gets a permit and carries without knowing English is about like a person who carries with only a rudimentary knowledge of how the gun works. They are taking a great risk. But it is their risk to take. If they're comfortable doing it, then OK.

And I'll add that expanding the demographics of gun owners is about the only way we're going to survive. I have been trying since I opened to come up with a way to attract non-white non native Americans to my shop. ANy ideas would be appreciated.

There was a legally blind guy that joined here a while back,but I dont think has has post.

I am a believer of being able to speak English for things like driving.How can one read road signs if your unable to understand English.

But for a HCP speak any language you want.

If I visited another country I would probably just get by with a English to X dictionary.If I moved to another country I would indeed try and learn there language.

I have never been to another country so I have no clue what its like to have to learn another language,but when I go to the WalMart in the hood,I try my darnedest to speak there language.

Edit: On the blind thing.Keep in mind folks that just because someone is blind does not mean there completely un-able to see.Someone can be "legally blind" but still have vision well enough to drive,so what the difference in driving and not wanting someone not be able to defend themselves

Edited by strickj
Guest nraforlife

Little phrases like, Stop, Don't come any closer, might come in handy to know in english. But then again your the one who could be in front of a jury so you roll the dice.

but when I go to the WalMart in the hood,I try my darnedest to speak there language.

Wal-Mart has it's own language? :eek:

Keep in mind folks that just because someone is blind does not mean there completely un-able to see.

Just what I was thinking. I'll bet lots of legally blind folks can see well enough to protect themselves from thugs at 5-12 feet.