Tennessee carry permit class in spanish?

Guest kwikrnu

Guest kwikrnu

Does anyone know if the carry permit class is offered in Spanish? My alien wife might be interested if it was.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

Never heard of one. Because you have to be a US citizen or resident to apply for a Tennessee permit, I doubt instructors would want to give a class in Spanish. Be careful with your wife's status, also. Federal law prohibits aliens illegally or unlawfully in the US, or holders of non-immigrant visas (I think those are tourist visas) from possessing firearms. If you have your guns in the home, your wife could be viewed as being in possession of them. My wife is Hispanic also. She came here on a visa, and she's about to get her residency, but it's something I've thought about.

Guest kwikrnu

I was reading code and 39-17-1351(:koolaid: says,"Except as provided in subsection ®, any resident of Tennessee who is a United States citizen or permanent lawful resident, as defined by § 55-50-102(30), who has reached twenty-one (21) years of age, may apply to the department of safety for a handgun carry permit. If the applicant is not prohibited from purchasing or possessing a firearm in this state pursuant to § 39-17-1316 or § 39-17-1307(:koolaid:, 18 U.S.C. § 922(g), or any other state or federal law, and the applicant otherwise meets all of the requirements of this section, the department shall issue a permit to the applicant."

55-50-102(30) says,"“Lawful permanent resident” means the status of having been lawfully accorded the privilege of residing permanently in the United States as an immigrant in accordance with the immigration laws, such status not having changed;

Then 39-17-13519©(13) says,

That the applicant is not an alien and is not illegally or unlawfully in the United States;

Which is contradictory IMO.

So I thought I'd ask.

Guest strelcevina
Never heard of one. Because you have to be a US citizen or resident to apply for a Tennessee permit,

not true. you have to be permanent resident "green card"

i Became US citizen last year, and i legally bought guns and did my permit when i had Green card.

Guest nraforlife

Hows the wifes english? Reason I ask is if the wife ever had to pull her piece on a Bad Guy and shot him/her the case could be made against your wife that the criminal could not understand what she was asking/telling him/her to do. Could be a big bag of worms for you, your wife, the instructor and school.

Years ago we had a legally blind guy want his permit also. Nothing in the code says you can't carry if blind - called the Dept of Safety on this and they said nothing in the law against it either. None of the instructors in town would touch him with a 10ft pole, can you image being summoned to court to defend yourself for passing a legally blind guy. Now I heard we got his permit but where he went to get his class is beyond me.

Guest kwikrnu

i Became US citizen last year, and i legally bought guns and did my permit when i had Green card.

I wonder why they say no aliens in 39-17-13519©(13)? You were a permanent resident alien when you got your permit...

Now, I just have to find a class in Spanish. It could be a big money maker for someone. Advertise heavily on channel 4-2 and have the class somewhere near nolensville rd.

Guest kwikrnu
Hows the wifes english? Reason I ask is if the wife ever had to pull her piece on a Bad Guy and shot him/her the case could be made against your wife that the criminal could not understand what she was asking/telling him/her to do. Could be a big bag of worms for you, your wife, the instructor and school.

What happens if you tell a non-english speaking criminal something in english?

I always thought you only pulled a gun when your life was threatened. In anycase where my life is threatened words are probably not needed.

Guest strelcevina
I wonder why they say no aliens in 39-17-13519©(13)? You were a permanent resident alien when you got your permit...

Now, I just have to find a class in Spanish. It could be a big money maker for someone. Advertise heavily on channel 4-2 and have the class somewhere near nolensville rd.

There is difference between "permanent resident" and "legal Alien"

permanent resident can become Citizen and legal Alien cant.

and by the law in TN, Police and any other Government Organization Have to provide language Translator, all of them have Language line available over the phone.

so in case that she have to deal with Police, all she has to do, is just to say and repeat Spanish, Spanish :koolaid:

Congratulations Strelcevina!!!

I would like to thank you for doing things the right way and commend you for becoming a citizen in the manner that many of our forefathers did. It speaks highly of your integrity and patience!

I know it probably doesn't mean much to you, but I'd like to give you a belated welcome, and pass on a sincere hope that you succeed in your pursuit of liberty, wealth, and happiness here.

It also sounds like you're well informed on the laws concerning resident status as well as the can and can't do's of firearm possession for our newly minted brothers and sisters! Thats a GOOD thing since there are so many laws that can trip us up.

If she is in fear for her life what exactly would she need to tell/ask the BG to do first? No need to say I'm going to shoot you, I think the drawn and aimed gun would make that obvious.

If a BG has a knife, you draw your gun...I guess you could order the BG to drop his knife if you so chose to, but no requirement to do that.

Guest nraforlife
What happens if you tell a non-english speaking criminal something in english?

I always thought you only pulled a gun when your life was threatened. In anycase where my life is threatened words are probably not needed.

Oh I beg to differ. I would suggest contacting a lawyer who specializes in the field to find out what you may be leaving yourself open to.

Edited by nraforlife
Guest strelcevina
Congratulations Strelcevina!!!

I would like to thank you for doing things the right way and commend you for becoming a citizen in the manner that many of our forefathers did. It speaks highly of your integrity and patience!

I know it probably doesn't mean much to you, but I'd like to give you a belated welcome, and pass on a sincere hope that you succeed in your pursuit of liberty, wealth, and happiness here.

It also sounds like you're well informed on the laws concerning resident status as well as the can and can't do's of firearm possession for our newly minted brothers and sisters! Thats a GOOD thing since there are so many laws that can trip us up.

Thank you much.

It Mean a lot to me, and I felt Welcome here first Day i Arrived,

TN is Full of kind and Nice people.

My kids are Born Here , Nashville is Their Home and i can tell you proudly. IT IS MY HOME TO:D

God bless

Does anyone know if the carry permit class is offered in Spanish? My alien wife might be interested if it was.

Assuming you are legal then your wife would be as well based on marriage, right? I don't understand the "alien" part.

However, I would recommend learning the language of success, English, as the first step in protecting oneself.

Guest eyebedam
Assuming you are legal then your wife would be as well based on marriage, right? I don't understand the "alien" part.

However, I would recommend learning the language of success, English, as the first step in protecting oneself.

+1000.

Guest GLOCKGUY

i agree :koolaid:

Guest GLOCKGUY
So if someone was mute or deaf, they shouldn't be allowed to carry?

no but the way i feel is if you come to America to live you should at least try to learn English. why should we have to learn what they speak

Guest kwikrnu
There is difference between "permanent resident" and "legal Alien"

permanent resident can become Citizen and legal Alien cant.

An immigrant who is legally in the county with permanent residence is a legal alien. Aliens who are legal may or may not be permanent residents.

Guest kwikrnu

No.

Alien is term you may look it up.

What does learning English have to do with protecting yourself from a rapist or robber or murderer? Is a mute eligible for a Tennessee handgun carry permit?

Guest kwikrnu
So if someone was mute or deaf, they shouldn't be allowed to carry?

I just read this after my last post. It is strange how we think alike...

Guest kwikrnu
no but the way i feel is if you come to America to live you should at least try to learn English. why should we have to learn what they speak

You don't have to learn their language unless you want to understand why they laugh at you.

There is no Government requirement to learn English if you live here. If you wish to become a citizen then some understanding is required.

America includes South, Central, and North America so you may want to make a distinction or just say, " I feel when people come to the United States of America they should at least try to learn English."

Guest nraforlife
... America includes South, Central, and North America so you may want to make a distinction or just say, " I feel when people come to the United States of America they should at least try to learn English."

Before this thread breaks down to a discussion on immigration, I agree with your quote to a point. I would say that "I feel when people come to the United States of America they need to learn English." We keep this crap up we will be no better than the Balkans.

Guest kwikrnu
Before this thread breaks down to a discussion on immigration, I agree with your quote to a point. I would say that "I feel when people come to the United States of America they need to learn English." We keep this crap up we will be no better than the Balkans.

Just because someone comes here doesn't mean they want to stay. They may be visitors or employed for a short time because of their expertise. Why should those people learn English?

I usually speak Spanish in public. Why? Because I can and I know it drives people nuts not knowing what I am saying. :koolaid:

To clarify my wife has always had legal status and is currently a permanent resident alien and has been for a long time. She doesn't know if she wants to become a citizen and I'd like her to keep her status in case we'd ever like to move to Chile.

Edited by kwikrnu