Yep. That's the saddest part of it. An act of desperation by a sad old man that never gained him anything, but lost him all of his friends.

In many cases, I would have sympathy, but in this case, he brought it all on himself and as far as I am concerned, it couldn't happen to a better person.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not making any excuses for Pope or his flip flopping, but I do want to add some information that came directly from him.

As many will recall, during the 2010 election cycle Pope had been doing a radio show (prerecorded and his main pool of guests were legislators and candidates). He also had what started off as a "free, statewide monthly paper" that was supposed to go to all permit holders, free, and was to be supported by advertising revenue. That is the paper that went from monthly (I think the first edition was it) to quarterly to gone. It almost immediately went from a free news source to a paid subscription when the ad revenue was not what he had projected. Many will also recall that in the 2010 elections, Pope first endorsed Mike McWherter for governor but if I recall that ended when McWherther's people let Pope know that Clinton was coming to TN to campaign for McWherter (what a surprise right?). At that point, Pope switched to Haslam.

During the cozy meetings with Haslam, Pope started to change. He was befriended and his ego grew. They at least pretended to listen to him. He reported that he was promised a job right after the election by Haslam himself. I suspect that the Haslam job offer is what caused Pope in early 2011 to stop the paper and the radio show. Pope did not get the job he was promised. He did what they asked and expected, but they did not put him into state government as they apparently had led him to believe. He has from some sources pestered Haslam for the job but it never came in 2011 or 2012. He then turned his pleas to Ron Ramsey. Reports are that Ron Ramsey has now promised Pope a job of some sort and that it will start soon after the session ends.

I do not support Pope's current posture on most firearms issues. I would not say he has changed his tone since many who know him would probably report that his position on any issue changes regularly - such as the flip flop from "total Republican" to his borrowing the phrase "constitutional conservative" to supporting McWherter to supporting Haslam. What I do however firmly believe is that Haslam and others in Republican leadership have been dishonest with him relative to the "reward" of a job. If it does not materialize - soon - I would not be surprised if Pope starts at least the radio show up and turns on those who have promised him the employment.

I am not making any excuses for Pope or his flip flopping, but I do want to add some information that came directly from him.

As many will recall, during the 2010 election cycle Pope had been doing a radio show (prerecorded and his main pool of guests were legislators and candidates). He also had what started off as a "free, statewide monthly paper" that was supposed to go to all permit holders, free, and was to be supported by advertising revenue. That is the paper that went from monthly (I think the first edition was it) to quarterly to gone. It almost immediately went from a free news source to a paid subscription when the ad revenue was not what he had projected. Many will also recall that in the 2010 elections, Pope first endorsed Mike McWherter for governor but if I recall that ended when McWherther's people let Pope know that Clinton was coming to TN to campaign for McWherter (what a surprise right?). At that point, Pope switched to Haslam.

During the cozy meetings with Haslam, Pope started to change. He was befriended and his ego grew. They at least pretended to listen to him. He reported that he was promised a job right after the election by Haslam himself. I suspect that the Haslam job offer is what caused Pope in early 2011 to stop the paper and the radio show. Pope did not get the job he was promised. He did what they asked and expected, but they did not put him into state government as they apparently had led him to believe. He has from some sources pestered Haslam for the job but it never came in 2011 or 2012. He then turned his pleas to Ron Ramsey. Reports are that Ron Ramsey has now promised Pope a job of some sort and that it will start soon after the session ends.

I do not support Pope's current posture on most firearms issues. I would not say he has changed his tone since many who know him would probably report that his position on any issue changes regularly - such as the flip flop from "total Republican" to his borrowing the phrase "constitutional conservative" to supporting McWherter to supporting Haslam. What I do however firmly believe is that Haslam and others in Republican leadership have been dishonest with him relative to the "reward" of a job. If it does not materialize - soon - I would not be surprised if Pope starts at least the radio show up and turns on those who have promised him the employment.

Did he happen to mention why did he did not refund the subscriptions when he failed to produce the paper he promised? Or does he consider them a "gift" like the "Lifetime" memberships he sold to his gun shows?

Edited by Worriedman