So Is It Or Not Legal

to carry at the Memphis Agricenter,I mean they have gun shows there all the time.Is it part of the Shelby Co park system or not.I have done some research and cant seem to find a real answer.It would be kinda goofy to allow firearms into a building for trading and selling but not legal or able to carry.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not really sure. Never really thought about it before now.

However, it's not that uncommon for gun shows to be held in venues that are carry-unfriendly. In some rural places, they've been known to have gun shows on school grounds. There is even a defense to "carrying weapons on school property" listed in TCA 39-17-1310 for "A person possessing guns or knives when conducting or attending "gun and knife shows" and the program has been approved by the administrator of the educational institution."

Not really helpful, I know.

Now you got me curious as to the status of the Agricenter. Anyone know?

Edited by kb4ns

I'm not familar with the Agricenter but as kb4ns said, just because there are gun shows there doesn't necessarly make it legal to carry there. There are exceptions in the Parks and School laws for gun shows.

If it is a Shelby Co Park and Shelby Co opted out of the park law, there should be signs posted per 39-17-1311.

It seems that promoters might like venues that are off limits to guns being carried into the facility. No one to have to sit at the door and check for loaded guns and no one walking around selling their own guns.

Good point...

Guest 270win

I have never seen any signs at the Agricenter saying you can't carry a handgun there. I would not call Shelby County govt and ask because then they will put up the right signs to make it where you can get fined a good bit. Generally, in my opinion, if there is not a sign I would assume it is legal. I've carried into the gun shows with a handgun concealed on me and other events at the Agricenter. I expect to probably be asked to leave if found out, just like any other business in this area.