My first DuraCoat experience....

Guest rebeldrummer

Guest rebeldrummer

**DISCLAIMER**

I am in NO WAY a pro or even amature handy man, do it your self-er.....

I just got a wild hair and decided to go for it

I used that new Shake and Spray from DuraCoat

I did my AR accessories, my M&P and my 1911

Here is how it turned out....

It is not the best job but it works.

for $30 I am ok with the outcome...

1rx1jr.jpg

2gtu69i.jpg

1ilxqt.jpg

28t5h.jpg

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest rebeldrummer

The M&P is my favorite!

i wanted to try something a little different....i have never seen one with the two tones in the grip....so i took the one piece of the gip off, taped off the other and went with it.

I took it into my local shop today and got some good feedback as well!

Guest rebeldrummer

Looks good in the pics. What color is that?

If it looks as good in person as it does in your pics , that's good results for that low price.

i think it does. and the guys at the shop really liked as well...

it is called Daniel Defense FDE.

It is not exactly what I wanted, but it came out nice.

I am pleased...

if i get sick of it, for that price I will just do another color!!!

it was WAY cheaper than buying all new Magpul gear....

Guest rebeldrummer

How well does DuraCoat stand up to handling? Does it peel or chip?

its not supposed to.

that being said, prep is the KEY to this stuff working as it is supposed to.

any grease...dirt....dust...ect, left on the gun will cause it to chip or peel off.

i guess time will tell however. but again, for $30....ill take the chance and see.

How well does DuraCoat stand up to handling? Does it peel or chip?

I've got pistols and rifles that have been done for 3+ years now, I've got no chipping or wear from general use. The only blemishes I have in the finish is where I locked a slide into a vise to give me a little extra leverage in getting the sights out. The stuff works great and is cheap, the cure time is the only thing that kills me, 3-4 weeks. I'll stick to the ceramic baked on finishes, just as durable and I can have a gun apart, prepped, cured, back together and shooting the same day.

I've got the same RIA that I'll be working on later today, I put in some Novak night sights and then used Devcon to fill the dovetails so I'll be refinishing and polishing the sides of the slide as well as doing the frame to match. I'm just making it black again though, not the grey-ish color it was.

Edited by gunrunner32

It is dry to the touch in a couple hours, so you can start laying on vinyl for camo patterns or graphics. However it isn't fully cured for roughly 3 weeks. It can be handled and shot after it's dry to the touch, but you'll run the risk of ruining it.

Guest rebeldrummer

Looks Great! Was it very hard to do?

not bad actually....time consuming if you want to do it right. its all about the prep. getting everything really clean is the key, if not...then you get peelping and cracking.

I used the red steel wood 0000 pad they sent to sand down, then used the cleaner they sent to clean off. then did it all again. that is not in the directions, but I just wanted

to me extra sure this was going to work

Guest rebeldrummer

What is that magazine grip you have on the AR? I like that idea as a back-up grip.

Its called a Mako Magazine Well Extension Grip...and it makes a great back up grip. It really confy using that grip when shooting ( for me anyways?!? )

Guest rebeldrummer

One $30 kit did it all?

looks great!

also like Baron asked above...did you get all that done with just one kit?

yea guys 1 shake and spray kit did all that.

I got almost 3 coats on each piece, and a few ( like thehandgaurds and the pistol frames ) got 4!!

I was shocked