did some work in the courthouse the other day....

Guest nysos

Guest nysos

Well not specifically the courthouse, it was in a different department on a different floor - but I "went" through security just like everyone else going to general assembly. The surprising thing? I signed in and they didn't even glance in my toolbag or backpack I had with me. They just had me walk on through and told me where the elevators were and what floor I needed to go to.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have an honest face.

Nah, they must be govt employees. They were told their job is to get people to sign in and give directions. That means searching is someone else's job.

Seriously, I am leaving my current city job for another one, and just as I gave my notice my co-worker went out on bereavement leave. I lost track of how many times I've been told it's not my problem when people found I volunteered to work OT. FTR, we are the only two who work that job day shift so on my days off there is literally no one to work. Apparently it's not my problem.

I set off metal detectors when I went in for jury duty and the guy saw my phone on my belt and said "Musta been your phone, come on thru and have a nice day" He was nice and all, but maybe a bit too lax. I didn't have anything illegal but I could have and he wouldn't have known. I must have an honest face....

I work courtroom security in Trousdale Co. Not all follow the same procedure. I get the " I don't have to do that

in _____ county.", all the time. In ours there are no cellphones allowed, purses, knives, guns ( of course), food , drinks,

etc. Some are more lax, due to individual dept. policies, laziness, etc.

The tool bag would have gotten a thorough check.

I work courtroom security in Trousdale Co. Not all follow the same procedure. I get the " I don't have to do that

in _____ county.", all the time. In ours there are no cellphones allowed, purses, knives, guns ( of course), food , drinks,

Just curious but what law allows you to deny entry to a public building because somebody has a candy bar (food) or a bottle of water (drink) with them? How on earth does somebody having a bottle of water with them pose a security risk to a government building?

My bet, it's an order from a little despot in a black robe.

Just curious but what law allows you to deny entry to a public building because somebody has a candy bar (food) or a bottle of water (drink) with them? How on earth does somebody having a bottle of water with them pose a security risk to a government building?

My bet, it's an order from a little despot in a black robe.

That's been a rule in the courthouse for as long as I can remember, even before the courtroom

security program started. Not so much security, as to keep folks from trashing the place.

Have no idea who started it, but you could be right about the robe. Since by state law the

Sheriff is charge of the court "room", could have been there. The County Exec ( Mayor ),

or whatever title is used in the county, is in charge of court "house" security.

That's been a rule in the courthouse for as long as I can remember, even before the courtroom

security program started. Not so much security, as to keep folks from trashing the place.

Have no idea who started it, but you could be right about the robe. Since by state law the

Sheriff is charge of the court "room", could have been there. The County Exec ( Mayor ),

or whatever title is used in the county, is in charge of court "house" security.

So no vending machines anywhere in the courthouse? :)

The Judges aren't allowed to bring a sack lunch to work? Or are they the exception to the rule?

There are vending machines in the courthouse. The rule applies to the courtroom, not the courthouse. Judges

will take a lunch break if it goes that long, usually to a restaurant away from the courthouse.

FWIW, our vending mahines aren't a great option.

Officers of the court, judges, attorneys, clerks, are an exception to the rule, as a courtesy. It can be

revoked, if abused.

I don't make the rules, just enforce them. Personally, I don't like exceptions.

No food or phones is the rule in almost all courtrooms.

As far as it being an order from a judge....probably so, but don't judges have discrestion to set rules in their courtrooms?

Maybe I'm missing something... I thought we worked security at a court house, checking everybody coming into the building... If he's checking bags and working security at the door to the individual courtroom, that would be a huge difference.

Maybe I'm missing something... I thought we worked security at a court house, checking everybody coming into the building... If he's checking bags and working security at the door to the individual courtroom, that would be a huge difference.

I think you did...

Just a bit of clarification, for JayC. Some courthouses are set up to work the entire courthouse as a unit. Once you go

thru security at the door, you're free to go anywhere in the courthouse you need.

Ours is an old building that doesnt lend itself well to that, nor do we have the resources to do that. The above buildings,

mostly newer, have one entrance. Ours has two. We don't have the staff to man both doors. Not an ideal situation,

but the hand that's dealt. The "courtroom" is the only place provided "security".

County Commission & funds are the bottle neck here.

Guest Lester Weevils

Manually searching a well-equipped toolcase could take a long time, if done right? Not to mention that most every tool is a weapon if used with evil intent. The local courthouse only has two guards on duty at each door. Doing a good job searching a toolcase might build up a line of annoyed people waiting to get in and buy a license plate?

That is a business opportunity-- For use in secure gov locations, sell a complete line of tools made out of soft nerf ball material!

edit, on second thought, Fisher Price beat me to it. Maybe I can make some money re-selling fisher price toolkits at heavy markup to the gov.

Edited by Lester Weevils