looking for inexpensive rifle to shoot besides .22

rockman6

I am wanting to get a rifle that is cheaper to shoot than my mauser and has more power than my10/22. Thinking of a 22 mag either in a 10/22 or a lever action. Any suggestions of which or other calibers? I theck ammunitiontogo.com and 22 mag looked pretty reasonable as a round.

Bill

I went thru a .22 mag "thing" for awhile. Then it was pointed out to me that however fun .22 mag is and even effective, that with my .22LRs and the availability of a wide variety of .22LR ammo that maybe 5.56/.223 out of an AR would meet my need for speed and distance. It did and has, making me dump my .22mags. I tried longuns in 9mm and .357 and while still liking the idea pistol caliber carbines the AR with its speedier bullet makes more sense to me from several perspectives, although one of these days I may get a 9mm AR that uses Glock 9mm mags. Now that I don't hunt any longer I shoot for fun and self-defense and it has been fun finding .22LR rifles that can shoot available ammo from 20 grain 500fps to 30 grain at 1750fps, as well as 60 grain SSS.

How much is 9mm ammo these days? Myself I would be looking for a .223 bolt gun. Has many more uses than a .22 or 9mm with ammo around $40 per 100.

With a bolt gun vs a carbine semi you would save quite a bit with the slower action.

Also with the acuracy & vilocity of the .223 you can shoot much longer distances. If you wish.

Edited by xd shooter

223 is fairly cheap. 22 mag is nice but its not going to take you very long range and won't feel any stouter than your 22 LR if you wanted to feel it. 223 is not very much recoil either, for that matter, but it will go a decent distance and you can at least feel the recoil, esp in a bolt gun it feels like a rifle.

My advice is to reload for something flexible, like your mauser. You can load that to gentle 100 yard 223 level rounds all the way up to full power loads that will carry hundreds of yards accurately, and it would be fairly cheap. I reload my mauser (765) for about $35 per 100. I could do it for much, much less but I am addicted to high quality slugs.

Edited by Jonnin

What do you want to do with it? Plinking, defense, target shooting, hunting? The intended use wil help narrow down your choices.

For home defense and cheap plinking, you might consider a .38/.357 lever-action rifle. The .38 target loads are pretty cheap ($175/1000), easy and cheap to reload, and very accurate. The full-power .357 develops about 150fps more from a rifle barrel than a pistol. It makes a nice small-game or home defense weapon.

For 8mm Mauser ammo, here are some inexpensive choices:

Reloadable:

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=AP8FMJ198&name=Prvi+Partizan+PPU+8mm+Mauser+FMJ+198grn+20rd+Box&groupid=42

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/2SB33181-1.html

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ammunition/rifle-ammunition/8mm-mauser/prvi-8mm-mauser-198gr-fmj-bt-box-of-20.html

Surplus:

http://www.ammunitiontogo.com/product_info.php/pName/630rds-8mm-mauser-yugo-military-m75-sniper-190gr-fmj-ammo/manufacturers_id/12?osCsid=ant05cri88b9k5rg7m4s25asc2

http://www.southernohiogun.com/ammo-mags-more/ammunition/8mm-yugo-15rd-box-on-5rd-stripper-clip.html

• Like 1

Looks like a 9mm carbine is in the works.. I have a mosin and shooting the 7.62x54r is fun,

Hi-Points are fun rifles! They are just a pain in the posterior to breakdown and clean. I said this once before and I think OS made the observation that no one cares about cleaning them. Guess that's true. Just stick to Hi-Point Mags. Anything else is crap.

I did a full strip on my hi-point and it was not fun but It was not that hard. I got ALOT of crap out of mine and polished a couple of things while I was in there. I was bored when my wife was out of town so I cleaned and polished all my guns.