crazy website

Guest Lester Weevils

I may be mis-speaking, but believe I defeated the redirection on IE 9 by going to my user settings and setting "Ignore User Signatures" to true.

Click on your user name at the top right of the window and select "My Settings".

Then in the next window click the tab on the left "Ignore Preferences"

And then check the checkbox at the top of the properties, entitled "Ignore all signatures when reading topics"

It appears the redirection is a javascript in a signature near the bottom of the affected pages.

Or alternately, David fixed it exactly the same time I made this change, making me believe I fixed it when actually it was something else entirely. :)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I may be mis-speaking, but believe I defeated the redirection on IE 9 by going to my user settings and setting "Ignore User Signatures" to true.

Click on your user name at the top right of the window and select "My Settings".

And then check the checkbox at the top of the properties, entitled "Ignore all signatures when reading topics"

It appears the redirection is a javascript in a signature near the bottom of the affected pages.

Or alternately, David fixed it exactly the same time I made this change, making me believe I fixed it when actually it was something else entirely. :)

After reading this, I tried browsing a few threads. I was still having the issue. I then followed your directions and everything appears to be working properly. Thanks!

Edited by TripleDigitRide

That worked for me, THANKS!

Same process works on Firefox.

Thanks

Guest Lester Weevils

I checked my sig line and unless the web page was lying to me, my sig line had not been corrupted. Was wondering if somebody had hacked sig lines or maybe the script is leaking in from some other place than data stored in user settings. Am incredibly ignorant of web stuff, just was looking at the html source in the bad pages and saw the script line. Dunno where the script line comes from "up in the cloud".

Guest Lester Weevils

Lester's fix worked for me with Firefox. And people wonder why I'm not a fan of internet banking and online bill paying. These interwebs are dangerous places.

+1

Guess I'm getting old and fossilized not trusting "new fangled stuff". Years ago David Letterman (who I usually don't think is very funny) had a good quip. He was explaining he got his grandma a new tv and remote, but she wasn't using the remote. He asked her why, and she was afraid it would catch something on fire. Maybe not funny but was hilarious to me.

Lester's fix worked for me with Firefox. And people wonder why I'm not a fan of internet banking and online bill paying. These interwebs are dangerous places.

Everything seems to be clear now, I hope. But as an aging old fuddy-duddy....I'm with Motasyco. I don't use internet banking or bill paying. When I start to think about it again...something else goes haywire and makes me glad I don't. :squint:

I'm just now finishing up a Network Security course, and I can tell you all it has really opened my eyes to the ginormous number of exploits and hacks out there. Our teacher said she won't use wireless for anything important (banking, credit cards, etc ...), and for good reason. Wireless is just NOT secure. The amount of money spent each year trying to combat network vulnerabilities just goes up and up. (And I'm sure it will continue to do so for many years to come, especially with more and more devices becoming networked).

I've learned that some of the most important things to do to protect yourself are 1) to always keep your operating system and software updated with patches. (This includes keeping virus definitions up to date). And 2) be aware of what you click on (kinda like being aware of your surroundings). Don't just click "yes" to every program you install on your phone or your computer.

Happy surfing, and be safe y'all. (I have to get back to work on my final project for the course ... aaaaaahhhhhh so close ... almost done).