Charter Arms .38 Snubnose Problem

I've got an old Charter Arms .38 Undercover snubnose that's been having some issues. Last time I took it to the range, I couldn't get the cylinder back into the gun. It was like somebody had literally jammed up that joint where the cylinder attaches to the frame. Being that I had shot far more rounds through that gun that I'd ever fired in one sitting, I attributed it to that. I took it home, removed the cylinder, cleaned and oiled it extremely well, and thought that would be the end of it. However, not too long later, after only firing 25 rounds, it gave me the same problem. Any solutions, or do I need to retire this thing?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My Dad's Bulldog does the same thing. He sent his back even though he bought it in 74. They returned it and called it fixed but the problem repeated itself in less than 20 rounds.

I suggested to him to send it back again and tell them to keep it but he hasn't.

Sorry, upgrade to a Ruger or a S&W. :up:

Edited by kieefer

I've had plans to upgrade to a Ruger LCR for awhile, I just needed to know whether or not this thing was safe to carry as a backup. I've been assuming no. Nevertheless, it will remain in my collection as the gun passed down to me from my father, and should I ever have children I will pass down a properly maintained and functioning firearm.

I've got a Charter 2000 Police Undercover in .38 that is currently in pieces in a bag. It was having a lot of issues, I think it will just stay in the bag and I'll wait a bit and replace it. I may have a line on a stainless and a blued Colt Diamondback.

I once had that very revolver in pieces in a bag. For the simple reason that it contains very tiny parts and putting it back together was just too much of a PITA for me. So I payed someone else to do it.

It's necessary to have reliable guns. In my house, only those that I know will go bang every time get the privilege of being my personal defense guns. So that means the my Remington 870, Mossberg 500 TC, Sig P226 and Ruger Super Redhawk are my top 4, the rest ride the safe.

My Charter is still only in pieces because it's been apart and together 5 times since I got it. I'm done fooling with it, I'll get it back together and put it out to pasture.

I'm with ya on that. I have a series of, let's says, "decoy" guns scattered throughout the house that aren't loaded. The ones that ARE, are not in any place where any intruder willl acquire them before me.