Proud of my son

Guest Oaklands

Guest Oaklands

After reading drv2fst post of "Do I owe an apology," I thought I would share a little test I had with my 6 year old son.

My son has combo ADHD and ADD. We do keep it controlled with medication but we know just being a 6 year old can make them quite curious and a handful. I have worked hard to make my son aware of not touching guns and to get an adult if he finds one.

One evening I had some friends drop by. We were discussing guns and they brought up the subject of, "Aren't you scared to have them around your son." I keep all guns I am not carrying locked in a safe and my EDC is put up in the closet, under some clothes in a place where my son cannot reach.

I decided to put myself on the spot and check how my teachings had worked. My son was back in his bedroom, so I placed my loaded XD on the couch. We then walked into the kitchen and started talking. We were 4ft from the gun so we had our eyes on it at all times. Right on cue, my son comes into the living room, spots the gun, and starts saying, "Daddy, there is a gun. Come get it. I can't touch it."

Boy did he make me proud and I could tell my friends were quite surprised to see how he reacted.

Awesome!

I have long tried to explain that to parents, most of whom are too afraid for their little darlin' to listen. Teach them young, test them, and let them shoot it under supervision, it works. The worst thing a parent can do is panic or freak out, which creates a burning curiosity inside the child, who will then wait for an opportunity to investigate...

• Like 1

yeah i have a 5 year old son and i kind of took a note from hickock45 .. if you set them down and let them see the gun and how it works .. and tell them ANY time they want to see dad's gun/s all they have to do is ask, it removes that childhood tenacious curiosity to sneak around and "play" with a gun, and teaches them to respect them ... a fellow TGO'er also turned me on to "Eddie the Eagle" it's a NRA sponsored program with a guy in an eagle costume teaching children gun safety in schools and the main rules he preaches are "if you find a gun dont touch it, find and tell an adult" , he gave me a DVD and my son has watched it ALOT lol

found this video on youtube .. same as the DVD

My kids are the same way. My daughter will not touch one (except her bb gun with my supervision) no matter what. My son will move one if instructed to (he is older). I have made sure they both know the dangers of guns and feel they understand. I think the worst stuff always happen to children who have never seen a gun in the house and suddenly "find" one and experiment.

Guest Grubbah

I have to chuckle when you said up in a closet under some clothes where your son cant reach them. thats exactly where I first found my dad's naughty magazines when I was probably about 8!! boy was that enlightening! You'd be surprised where a curious kid with a chair can get to.

But kudos on teaching your son early. teaching gun safety early on and reinforcing that with supervised time at the range takes away a lot of the curiosity that leads to accidents.

Guest bluecanary25

Glad your instructions are working. Very proactive.

I disagree with hiding your EDC "place... cannot reach"... kids is crafty little boogers.

No gun stashing even if they can't reach.

I worry more about the older grandson and my carry piece than i do the younger one. At any rate if i am not wearing it the gun is locked in a closet or the safe. The older one shoots and knows not to fool with it. But best to not leave temptation lying around.

the older they get the more i worry about a gun and the less careless i am.

Kids are just kids. No telling what they might do.

Edited by Mike.357
  • Like 1

I don't know if I'd run this test with a loaded gun, but it's good that your son knows right from wrong.

This was my first thought.

Also what Joe said about curiosity worked for me. My dad told me pretty much the same thing, and then backed it up when I did ask.

Edited by Makiaveli
Guest Matt Pavo

I always wondered if my parents had guns and weren't telling me. Unfortunately I bought 4 firearms before my dad ever bought his first. Very good to see gun safety being taught to children. It seems that most gun accidents happen in homes where the kids didn't even know the gun was there.

Guest Oaklands

I was probably 8 years old when I found my dad's .38 special under his mattress. Yes, I picked it up, but never put my finger on the trigger. Dad had showed me how to respect guns.

I understand what a few of you have said about my EDC in the closet. It doesn't go up there until my son has gone to bed and I am on my way to bed. There are no chairs remotely close to my closet. He would have to drag a stool from the kitchen, which we would see as he comes through the living room, or grab a heavy dining room chair, which he would have to unlock and open a child gate (for the dogs) to get into the main dining room. That gate is 90 degrees to my right when in the living room. We have no chairs or stools in any of our bedrooms. Basically he would have to come right past us for him to have access.

I only put it up there at night so I have a piece to go to in case something happens at night. I don't like it being that far from me, but with the kid, I have had to do it. My next purchase is going to be a little safe by my bed. I have one, but the number panel went out on it and it can only be opened with a key. Hard to do at night. Beleive me, when he gets to where he could start reaching it will be moved.

As far as leaving the loaded gun there, I was so close to it he would not have had a chance to get it in his hands. Believe me, I made it a very controlled environment and if I had said STOP, my son would have frozen. He knows that voice and is also well trained in "The Look." I learned "The Look" and voice tones from my dad.

I do appreciate everyone's comments.

My daughter's (12 & 5) both know firearms are not to be touched unless under my supervision. The one thing that worry's me is that my youngest always ask me "are you going to shoot a bad guy?" when she see's one, I don't want her to associate a firearm only with self defense. I would like her to see the joy in target shooting and practice in general. The only one that ever has ammo even available is the EDC and it's either on me or locked up.

My daughter's (12 & 5) both know firearms are not to be touched unless under my supervision. The one thing that worry's me is that my youngest always ask me "are you going to shoot a bad guy?" when she see's one, I don't want her to associate a firearm only with self defense. I would like her to see the joy in target shooting and practice in general. The only one that ever has ammo even available is the EDC and it's either on me or locked up.

At five, I think that's ok. I think it's more that she associates it with you, and since you are at the house, she can't think any other reason you would have a gun out at the house.

Since you didn't say the 12 yr old says that, I think you are on the right track :)