Do I owe an apology?

Guest drv2fst

Guest drv2fst

To the OP, maybe a good way to handle the situation for the future would be to buy your dad a good holster or (since he might want to be a little more 'subtle' around the house, especially at family gatherings) even a concealed carry 'fanny pack'. You could tell him that you appreciate his being willing to lock up his firearm while the kids were around and that the holster/fanny pack is a 'thank you' gift that he can use at future gatherings. In fact, you could encourage him to use it all the time so he has his firearm at hand when he is at home rather than on a shelf where he might not be able to get to it in an emergency.

Great idea. I think next fathers day he is getting a nice holster and a quick access pistol safe!

MIghta been a little taboo had it been non family. It was your dad, if he gets mad about it just hit him with a "I was rasied better than that" and he'll get over it. In ANY event, better someone be mad at you than a kid do what kids do.....something stupid.

I don't see it being taboo period, regardless of family or not. Assuming one asks politely and discretely, then what's the problem? Note I am not saying throw a hissy fit, just ask and then accept the results or leave.

I kinda agree with Jonnin, here. Then, again, I don't have kids.

That's always the plan, but we all know what happens to plans right? All it takes is one "I thought you were watching them" and a dare from a friend/cousin/whatever and it's over.

Edited by Makiaveli
Guest kcb37

I would agree on several points.

You did nothing wrong at all. Maybe the wording/attitude could have been different. (who knows I wasn't there, your typing what you remeber) But again I don't know you or you father either. Asking/telling depending on the situation for someone to secure a firearm loaded or not is perfectly fine.

Second kids do need constant supervision. But we can't always do that. Home alone with your kid for the day, make lunch, take a shower, blah blah. Kids get into things.

I would leave mine loaded one in the chamber on my bedside table, but with a 6 year old in the house. Dosen't happen. It's locked up unless I have on me. Still loaded, but locked up. Keep the keys out of her reach too.

When I was 11, I went to my friends house to hang out. We were bored and before I knew it, we were in his parents bedroom so he could show off dad's Ruger .44 single action. The gun was in a clear bag taped at the end. My friend proceeded to show me how you can cock the hammer and pull the trigger without opening the bag, so his dad wouldn't find out. He had no idea if the gun was loaded or not, just that he was playing with something forbidden so it must be fun. Luckily the gun was not loaded, or at least not the first two chambers before I told him to stop.

At my house, my kids were taught at a very early age that guns are to be respected, however I've taken a slightly different approach. I told them anytime they want to see my guns, just ask. My son had brief interest, so I broke out the guns maybe 3 or 4 times total. My daughter never expressed any interest in seeing them. Right now, the kids are about as excited at seeing my guns as playing with the house keys. My cell phone is far more interesting to them than my 1911. My kids will shoot with me, but the forbidden fruit which always seems to attract kids is gone. When they have friends over, the guns are locked up and out of sight.

• Like 1

better to address the issue and move forward. If you didn't, you would constantly be worried when the kids are at your parents house. Way to get it out in the open a deal with the issue head on. Its not like you told him NOT to own guns or keep them on that shelf--just don't do it when YOUR kids are there.

I don't have kids but when any small childred come over, everything goes in the safe, with the exception of one i wear. Its a saftey issue. Even if it causes a heated discussion--its worth it to secure the weapons.

Edited by Parrothead

I don't see it being taboo period, regardless of family or not. Assuming one asks politely and discretely, then what's the problem? Note I am not saying throw a hissy fit, just ask and then accept the results or leave.

Well, you don't tell a man what to do in his own home. He can stick in mouth and dance like a chicken if he wants to, it's his house.

Well, you don't tell a man what to do in his own home. He can stick in mouth and dance like a chicken if he wants to, it's his house.

Well as I've had to do with my in laws, if you don't keep the pitbull separated from my son then I'm not bringing him to visit. They can do whatever they want, but as a parent I have a responsibility to watch out for my kids; that includes telling someone to secure their firearm.

The promise of a grand-kid's visit is often enough to get grandparents to make the adjustments necessary. Grandparents don't think about kid-proofing a house the way a parent does, the reminders are for the safety of the grandchildren, which for most grandparents is a big motivator. In addition to the danger for the children, there is great civil and criminal liability if children have access to guns.

Well as I've had to do with my in laws, if you don't keep the pitbull separated from my son then I'm not bringing him to visit. They can do whatever they want, but as a parent I have a responsibility to watch out for my kids; that includes telling someone to secure their firearm.

I agree.

To clarify a bit, by taboo I meant to say no one ever has a right to bark orders to man in his own home. Not that anyone did that, I'm just saying. I wouldn't go to anyone's home and suggest they do anything to accommodate me or mine. I would deal with it or leave.

Which is why I said one should ask not tell. Do it politely, as in say would you mind etc. Toss in discretely so there's no need for machismo and related BS.

I would point to the door if someone "told" me what to do in my house. Did it with my own parents when they had an issue with my now ex-wife smoking. She lit up without thinking and they started in and I said our house, our rules and they left. If they had said something politely it would've ended differently.