Carpenter bee +...

Steelharp

Guest Lester Weevils

Sounds like fun. The back yard is a target rich environment this week. Living in the burbs, somebody would see me wildly waving a pistol in the back yard then call in swat.

Sounds like fun. The back yard is a target rich environment this week. Living in the burbs, somebody would see me wildly waving a pistol in the back yard then call in swat.

That is the reason I stick with chemical spray, I'd love shooting those lil buggers, but in the city, the SWAT would be on me like white on rice.

Guest pfries

If I shot one in the city limits and was allergic to bees could I claim "stand your ground" as why I discharged

Sounds like you were in fear of life or serious bodily injury to me....(but then again I aint the prosecutor)

Guest Lester Weevils

I just read up on these bees and found out they have no stingers!! I will be back with the pink bat!!

I don't know how to identify the different kinds. Some of the bumblebees (or whatever to call the big fat ones) will sting the snot out of you, unless the times I got stung I misidentified very badly. Dunno what mix of kinds are in my yard. I used to have some old wood sawhorses and every spring if I'd accidentally thump the sawhorse the wrong day they would come swarming out from holes in the underside of the horizontal pieces. Just babies, shame to kill them on their birthday. :) Those sawhorses finally rotted away and the current ones are metal and plastic.

I think some of the bumblebees have holes in the ground, maybe a different species not carpenter bees. Dunno if a carpenter bee is too proud to ever live in a hole in the ground. Have been stung walking barefoot and stepping on a bee hole the wrong time. Or maybe misinterpreting, but that seemed the way it went down. Had to seal up a couple of exposed pieces in the basement door frame to keep the carpenter bees from boring into the door frame wood. Maybe they don't like pressure treated wood, but dunno. I haven't caught em living in the pressure treated "yellow wood" deck or fence sections. Yet.

This year have not seen signs of any that bore into structural wood in the house, deck or wood fencing. So maybe there are no carpenter bees among this years crop. There are lots of trees in the back of the yard, and a couple of fallen logs. They can probably live in those just as good as sawed lumber, but dunno. Maybe they are too proud to live in a fallen tree?

The old hound was really "pushing it" chasing bumblebees yesterday. Was surprised he didn't get a stung nose. Unless maybe by accident those were the ones that don't sting.

They bite though. I wonder if they still make those air rifle shot shells like they did a couple years ago? I just now remembered seeing those, and now I'm glad I never bought one to start. Also, airsoft guns work really well especially if you're within city limits.

I just read up on these bees and found out they have no stingers!! I will be back with the pink bat!!

According to this article from North Carolina State University:

The males do not have stingers, but they are territorial and will harass other bees and people who venture near their protected areas. Females can sting, but rarely do so unless confined in your hand or are highly agitated.

So as long as your aim is good with that pink bat, the females won't have time to get all upset.

For the rest of the info: http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/depts/ent/notes/Urban/carpenterbees.htm