I found a Ruger SR-22

So I found a new SR-22 for $350. And I was actually considering buying it until I got off the phone with a Ruger rep.

Because of my shooting tempo I call and ask about lifespan of any guns I might purchase. Sig said their Mosquito will last 10K-15K rounds then it will be worn out, their words not mine.

I have a PacLite for my current 22/45 and it didn;t make it to 15K before it had to be replaced. On top of that I get baffle strikes with not one but two seperate PacLites. Because of this they are out of the question again.

So in my quest to find a quality gun that will last I called Ruger and spoke to a engineer about their new SR-22. I asked about the slide material, aluminum. He didn't know what kind of aluminum, just aluminum. Next I asked about the expected lifespan as I explained that I shoot 10K-15K rounds a year. To which he responded it will last forever. I told him that it will not last forever and that I would like to know an approximate lifespan. To which he responded that the lifespan was proprietary. I then said that other manufactuers were able to tell me their lifespans. The engineer then said that they do not keep track of round counts and only know that it will last forever.

Because of the different, vague responses I will not buy one. At least not now. I will buy Ruger as they are about the only reasonably priced gun that will last.

Dolomite

Gordon, no offense but that does seem like a hard question to answer. One SR-22 may last 10k rounds and another could last 40K. If you really plan on shooting that many rounds through the Ruger I'd say you got your moneys worth.

When they say the Sig will last 10-15k, does that mean the gun just stops working at that point, or falls apart, or?

• Like 1

Gordon, no offense but that does seem like a hard question to answer. One SR-22 may last 10k rounds and another could last 40K. If you really plan on shooting that many rounds through the Ruger I'd say you got your moneys worth.

When they say the Sig will last 10-15k, does that mean the gun just stops working at that point, or falls apart, or?

Sig said that the Mosquito will be worn out to a point no maintenance will fix it inside of 15K rounds. The worse part about it is they said it would not be covered under any warranty even if it only lasted a month.

I realistically shoot 1K a week during the summer so buying a Mosquito every three months isn't worth it for me. I am hardly getting my money's worth for a $400 gun if it will only last four months. And If I bought the Ruger SR-22 and it lasted 10K or even 20K I would be pissed as well.

I would hope that there isn't 30K round difference between two of the same guns providing basic maintanence is done.

I am going to buy a Ruger MK pistol. I hate the fact the the MKIII's now have pressed in barrels. It makes threading them much more difficult. That is why I am looking hard for a MKII that is not threaded. That way I can get it threaded correctly. I don't trust buying a factory threaded gun anymore unless I can shoot it first with my suppressor.

I am going to try shooting a MKIII with my suppressor attached tomorrow. If it works then I am probably going to buy it. I can disable the mag disconnect and loaded cahmber indicator.

Dolomite

I have been looking at the Brownings as well. I found a very nice Challenger for $350. I have also been offered a few others for reasonable amounts but I just know the Ruger MK's so well.

I am also leaning towards the MK Rugers because I have plenty of spare parts. I also made a HEAVY bolt for suppressor use that helps. As well as years worth of extra parts.

I have owned a 22A before. I didn't like a lot of things about it. The biggest was the serious reliability issues. I sold it as a basket case for about 1/2 what I paid for it a few weeks earlier. Told the buyer good luck as it wouldn't make it through a single magazine without a FTE. I have a friend who has one that is very reliable.

The only thing holding me back on the factory threaded MKIII's is the 4.5" barrel length. It is hit or miss whether the cheap bulk ammo will stay subsonic or not. I know a 5" barrel will not keep it subsonic which makes shooting a suppressor useless to me because of the sonic crack. 4" will stay subsonic and 4.5" can be either, especially in the winter. I am wanting something that I know will keep the bulk ammo below 1050 fps year around.

Dolomite

The SR22 is a fairly rugged 22 LR pistol, mine already has about 1k round's through it w/o any problem's. I was more concerned with the frame rail's than the alloy slide but its a really tight pistol. I believe the type of 22LR ammo your run through one of these would have more to do with service life than anything else. I'm content with standard velocity for most everything but use Hy-Vel ammo on occassion. More than anything else this is a field and plinking pistol so I'm not really clear on the concern of how many round's until failure.

I'd guess to delay (retard) the bolt timing which gives less pressure differential between the barrel - and the receivers free air ......... which, in turn, lessens the gas cloud common with suppressor use. But, it's just a guess ..............

Edited by FIRERESCUEO2

I'd guess to delay (retard) the bolt timing which gives less pressure differential between the barrel - and the receivers free air ......... which, in turn, lessens the gas cloud common with suppressor use. But, it's just a guess ..............

That is about it.

With subsonic ammo it isn't really needed but with supersonic ammo it keeps it closed for a fraction of a second longer. This actually quietens the gun down a noticeable amount with bulk supersonic ammo. Right now with the temps being a bit colder the bulk is still going above the speed of sound. As soon as the weather heats up it will be quieter.

It is the MKIII with the upper and lower rail but no sights. I plan on having the rear of the upper rail dovetailed for a rear sight. After that I just need to work out the front sight height but that will come after the rear sight is installed so I can get an idea of front sight height. I like using a red dot but I also like having irons.

http://www.ruger.com...rel/models.html

Dolomite

Supposedly can cause ejection/feeding issues, especially if dirty enough to not move freely.

- OS

If that was true certainly mine would have had failures by now. Mine is so dirty no light shows through it. And if it did a drop of remoil would solve it.

Thanks for filling me in.

seems like a ruger charger would be ideal for this kind of project it's basically a pistol 10/22 so you know it will last a long time and it can take mags bigger than 10 rounds (i just dont understand why that's the standard in .22 auto pistols) it is a bit large though but you get the extra accuracy to go along with it, as for the SR22 i cant say how long it will last but it is a very nice lil pistol i love mine but then again i doubt i will put 15k rounds through it in 10 years lol

seems like a ruger charger would be ideal for this kind of project it's basically a pistol 10/22 so you know it will last a long time and it can take mags bigger than 10 rounds (i just dont understand why that's the standard in .22 auto pistols) it is a bit large though but you get the extra accuracy to go along with it, as for the SR22 i cant say how long it will last but it is a very nice lil pistol i love mine but then again i doubt i will put 15k rounds through it in 10 years lol

Been through the Charger phase. I completely transformed one and liked it but in the end a standard pistol did what I wanted and did it better.

Dolomite

It is that the Charger is too big to be used as a pistol and too small to be a rifle.

Here was my rework:

resize1.jpg

resize2.jpg

resize3.jpg

resize4.jpg

resize5.jpg

resize6.jpg

In the end I sold it. Not because it wasn't fun but for me it served no purpose. And it was a complete rework, trigger, barrel work, bolt work as well as what you see. It was a very reliable and very accurate gun but for me it wasn't something I could use.

Dolomite

wow that thing looks nice i would like to have been around TGO when you sold it, yeah i kinda feel the same about the charger in general too big for a pistol too small for a rifle, but was thinking it might be a fun and interesting toy

wow that thing looks nice i would like to have been around TGO when you sold it, yeah i kinda feel the same about the charger in general too big for a pistol too small for a rifle, but was thinking it might be a fun and interesting toy

I was momentarily tempted to buy that puppy, but ultimately feel the same way about them -- none of the advantages of either handgun or rifle. Toy is best description.

- OS