cheap .22 bolt rifle

JoeJ615

anyone have any experience with the lower end .22 bolt guns? im looking for a "fun" gun on a budget was thinking about the savage mkII or possibly marlin xt22 and would like you guys opinions or other recommendations for a sub $200 gun

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Savage and Marlin make a fine bolt action rifle. I have a Marlin model 100 from 1935 that was my father's when he was a boy. It still shoots great. Those old Marlins sell used for around $70 if you can find one. Glad you are wanting a bolt action 22 instead of a semi-auto. I think kids learn to shoot more accurately when they get one shot.

just got back from my LGS and ended up getting a Marlin XT-22TR ... was going to get a savage but it was the same price with a 7 round mag and the non accu trigger model with the 20" barrel, the marlin has the adjustable "pro-fire" trigger, 22" barrel and is tube fed (i didnt even know they made the XT-22 model in a tube fed configuration) so i can feed it .22 short's longs or long rifle .. which i like for shooting the CB shorts in the back yard ... nice looking gun and nice crisp trigger, i'll post again when i get a chance to break it in ... here's a link to the model i picked up .. cost me $210 OTD at my LGS http://www.budsgunsh...oducts_id/72778

Edited by JoeJ615

i still havent tried the colibras yet i know the CB shorts are super quiet though .. really curious about those subsonic 60grain ones though, i forget what they are called ... Aquila super silent sniper or something like that maybe?

Edited by JoeJ615

For fun I shoot 20 grain Aguila Super Colibras in my backyard. The trouble with Aguila 60 grain SSS is that they don't stabilize the best in most 1:16 .22s at this altitude and air density. They tend to need a 1:9 twist barrel. Having said that I have had good luck using the 60 grainers in a variety of rifles at 50 yards and in. Not only are the 60SSS heavy they are "slow." Data is from Ballistics by the Inch: http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

22 Results

Aguila

60 gr.

SSS

18"903

17"903

16"900

The scope is a relatively cheap and now discontinued Tasco 5-20x50mm AO scope.

BMarlinXT22wTasco5-20AOScope.jpg

My next .22 is going to be a tube feed. Can't decide though if I want another bolt action or a Model 60. Will the Model 60 shoot shorts, longs and LR? That may be the deciding factor. If not I may go look for an old Winchester or Remington. I believe those will.

Edited by Moped

The only semi-auto .22s that I know of that will fire Shorts, Longs, Long Rifles, Subsonics, Standard velocity, Hyper Velocity, High Velocity and Aguila SSS reliably are the discontinued Remington 550 & 550-1 and the still produced Remington 572. The current 552 being produced by Remington is the relatively costly BDL version with checkered Monte Carlo stock crazy looking font sight and that globular rear sight. I like the clean lines of the discontinued ADL with its small front and rear sights and plain stocks.

http://www.remington.../model-550.aspx

http://www.remington...peedmaster.aspx

http://www.tngunowne...eedmaster-22lr/

Pictured is a 1971 semi-auto Rem 552 ADL under my older pump Rem 572 (which like most tube fed pumps will shoot any .22 ammo you load in it: Colibras, Shorts, Longs, Long Rifle (Subsonic, Standard Velocity, High Velocity, Hyper Velocity).

Remingtons572and552.jpg

Edited by graycrait

thanks for the info on the 60grain SSS rounds, i'll have to get some of those 20grain super colibras, i've been using the CCI CB shorts and they are pretty quiet but im sure the super colibras would be even more so .. the CCI's are a 29grain round at 750fps where as the super calibras are 20grain at 500fps so apparently the CCI's are a bit hotter load, as for rifles that eat anything the Henry lever action .22 is also a nice little gun if you're looking for something that will feed shorts, longs, and long rifle ... im sure its not as accurate as some of the longer barrelled offerings though

Edited by JoeJ615