Yugo SKS 59/66 A1?

TN Outlaw

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All the Yugo SKS's I've owned shot just fine. The barrel may or may not be chrome lined.

My biggest problem with them is the grenade launcher sight on them. I just don't like it.

I'd prefer a Russian SKS over the rest myself. As for value I have not kept up on the SKS in a good while.

I bought my first one for $100 and I would say they are worth a bit more now.

Edited by TnShooter83

Love my Yugo. The barrel is not chrome lined. The only thing I've ever shot through it is various Wolf milsurp, and it eats that stuff like candy. It's a real smooth shooter, well balanced, easy to handle, if a tad heavy. The flip-up night sights are mostly novelty, all they do is switch from traditional notch sights to white 3-dot sights.

Some folks don't like the grenade launcher stuff. I think it's neat. Novelty, but neat. One of these days I'll get a golf ball launcher for it. Expect 3" 100 yd groups, less if you're lucky/good. It's a battle rifle, not a sniper rifle. Beware tacti-cool or other bubba'd conversions. Some work, some don't.

Be VERY wary of home trigger jobs. They can be prone to slam fire. Cock the hammer, bang the butt on the ground hard several times and check for hammer fall. If it does, that must be addressed. The trigger on mine was terrible (half mile or so of creep), had it reworked by Kivaari and it's very good now. Also added Tech Sights peep sights, which are excellent.

In good (original) shape, I'd guess its worth about $350. Though I'd only let mine go for that under duress.

peejman has it right. My Yugo is a great shooter, but it is a battle rifle, so don't expect gnat's eye groups. My trigger was also terrible, very heavy and long. You want to make sure you have positive sear engagement. The easiest way to check is remove the trigger group, lock it in a vise, and pull the trigger. You will be watching how the hammer moves. If it moves forward during the initial trigger pull, that is bad and is what causes firing when dropped, etc. Mine moved way forward. You could see the slope on the sear going the wrong way.

I did a home trigger job and got positive engagement. I also smoothed everything out. It still has a lot of initial travel, but it is so much smoother. My groups were cut almost in half.

Tech sights are a great addition. Increased sight radius and better overall picture. Pop for the narrowed front sight when you order.

peejman has it right. My Yugo is a great shooter, but it is a battle rifle, so don't expect gnat's eye groups. My trigger was also terrible, very heavy and long. You want to make sure you have positive sear engagement. The easiest way to check is remove the trigger group, lock it in a vise, and pull the trigger. You will be watching how the hammer moves. If it moves forward during the initial trigger pull, that is bad and is what causes firing when dropped, etc. Mine moved way forward. You could see the slope on the sear going the wrong way.

I did a home trigger job and got positive engagement. I also smoothed everything out. It still has a lot of initial travel, but it is so much smoother. My groups were cut almost in half.

Tech sights are a great addition. Increased sight radius and better overall picture. Pop for the narrowed front sight when you order.

My trigger had neutral engagement, but it had so much creep I called it a "two breath" trigger. I couldn't hold my breath long enough to pull it all the way. Pull it 2/3rds ... breathe... pull it the rest of the way.

The Kivaari trigger job makes it a 2 stage 4-5lb trigger. Stage 1 is practically zero effort. Stage 2 has just a bit of movement before it breaks. Reset is much shorter too. http://www.kivaari.com/SKS%20Target%20Match.htm For $65... hard to beat.

I just got one of the grenade launcher versions off GunsAmerica from Robertsons Trading down around Jackson Tn. Most of the cosmolene is cleaned off but I need some quality time cleaning it before I shoot it. Anyway the gun is in awesome condition. I am very happy with it and would recommend getting one there.

If the yugo does not have a chrome lined barrel, just get a Russian. They are the best looking SKS imo. I love the ones that have the red tones in the stock. With that said, if I were collecting SKS rifles, I would have a Yugo just because they have a neat design.