Morals

Guest ThePunisher

Well, I don't know anything about that. Can you please point me to a source of information?

Thanks,

Steve

Read 1 Thessalonians 4:17 in the Bible or look up "Rapture" in Wikipedia as a resource, and it explains about the rapture pretty well. You can google also for lots of info.

Guest profgunner

Read 1 Thessalonians 4:17 in the Bible or look up "Rapture" in Wikipedia as a resource, and it explains about the rapture pretty well. You can google also for lots of info.

Well I'll be darned. I wasn't even aware of the "Christian Environmentalist" movement ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_environmentalist ) and am blown away that they are actually concerned about the environmental impact of the rapture. Thanks for sharing. Steve
Guest bkelm18

it confuses me greatly that christians have different beliefs.

Was edumacated in catholic institutions of learning through grade 12 and not once did they mention rapture.

I am pretty sure the nuns aren't liars.

Oh don't worry. Christianity, and pretty much most religions, are chock-full of contradictions.

Guest 6.8 AR

Well, wife just vetoed extracurricular excursion tonight. But there will be other times. Would be an absolute blast to hook up with you guys sometimes. I have to say I've only been on this board a short time, but I'm really impressed with the intellectual quality of the discussions. And AR you are right, any groupthink session definitely needs to be WAY out in the woods!

It would be well worth it, friend. We need to figure out a get together for some weekend. I haven't depleted my personal

leave days, so I should be able to. I doubt I'd hold up much of any intellectual discussion, but I could say "the Hell with you

brains, get down on my level" :D It would be fun. I'd end up being Zombie watchguard with Mike's cannon.

Guest 6.8 AR

it confuses me greatly that christians have different beliefs.

Was edumacated in catholic institutions of learning through grade 12 and not once did they mention rapture.

I am pretty sure the nuns aren't liars.

Catholics don't pound the end times stuff on you. The nuns didn't get into it at Aquinas, at all.

Guest profgunner

I'm not sure the contradictions matter, as faith requires no evidentiary support. You simply choose to believe and that is the end of the story. This is very much different from my take on things, but the vast majority of people on this planet seem to subscribe to it in some form. I don't think religious belief per se is a bad thing. It's only a problem when people insist upon pushing their viewpoints on others. Fundamentalism acted out is bad news. Most folks, no matter what they believe, just want to be left alone.

Edited by profgunner
Guest 6.8 AR

I'm not sure the contradictions matter, as faith requires no evidentiary support. Isn't that the hallmark of religion? You simply choose to believe and that is the end of the story. This is very much different from my take on things, but the vast majority of people on this planet seem to subscribe to it in some form. I don't think religious belief per se is a bad thing. It's only a problem when people insist upon pushing their viewpoints on others. Fundamentalism acted out is bad news. Most folks, no matter what they believe, just want to be left alone.

That's why I don't try to push my views on others. Religion doesn't need to be pushy. Those who think it should

are missing part of the message.

I'm not sure the contradictions matter, as faith requires no evidentiary support. ,,,

"When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion." - Robert Persig

"Religion; noun: A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable." - Ambrose Bierce

• Like 1
Guest profgunner

That's why I don't try to push my views on others. Religion doesn't need to be pushy. Those who think it should

are missing part of the message.

Makes sense to me.
Guest bkelm18

I'm not sure the contradictions matter, as faith requires no evidentiary support. You simply choose to believe and that is the end of the story. This is very much different from my take on things, but the vast majority of people on this planet seem to subscribe to it in some form. I don't think religious belief per se is a bad thing. It's only a problem when people insist upon pushing their viewpoints on others. Fundamentalism acted out is bad news. Most folks, no matter what they believe, just want to be left alone.

Oh I know. It really doesn't matter to me what you believe, as long as you understand what you're believing. It's just blind belief and willful ignorance that get my goat.

Guest ThePunisher

People were always looking for prophesy to be fulfilled in Old Testament times, and people today have probably wondered about prophesy and wished to witness prophesy fulfilled. On May 14,1948, the prophesy of the re-birth of the nation of Israel was fulfilled after the Jewish people were dispersed all over the world for two thousand years. I don't know whether this event is important to anyone or not, but it is a bible prophesy fulfilled. To me, this is evidence that the Bible is a true testament sworn by the word of God. I am a witness to the re-birth of Israel as promised in the Bible over two thousand years ago. No contradictions here.

Oh I know. It really doesn't matter to me what you believe, as long as you understand what you're believing. It's just blind belief and willful ignorance that get my goat.

Question...who defines "blind belief and willful ignorance" in regards to faith (and how is it defined)?

Edited by R_Bert
...On May 14,1948, the prophesy of the re-birth of the nation of Israel was fulfilled ...

I give more credit to the bulldog tenacity of the Jews as a race/culture than any divine intervention. They've made their own "prophesy" a reality.

Whatever, but of course they dismiss the Jesus addendum to their own bible. Jewish bud of mine from yesteryear always used to carp about that -- basically, "if you Christians wanted to reinvent the legend of Horus, why did you have to tack it on to our much older existing ethos?" He really resented it on a personal level, used to love to hear him rant. :)

But they'll get theirs, right, since they're all going to hell anyway?

- OS

Edited by OhShoot