Does anyone carry "small of the back" ?

Just wondering about carrying a handgun in the small of my back. I have two reservations 1) sitting in a chair and 2) I worry that someone could take my handgun from my holster. Just walking around it would seem that SOB carry would be comfortable and easy to conceal. I would like to here from someone who does SOB carry and how they do it.

Guest drv2fst

I carry SOB sometimes. It is MUCH more comfortable for me. I carry concealed so I am less worried about someone getting to the gun. They'd have to know it's there first.

-Someone shared with me that if you fall flat on your back it could increase the damage to your spine.

-Draw will definitely be slower SOB vs 3:00 - 4:00 position.

+It allows me to carry when I would not otherwise.

• Admin Team

SOB carry does have some issues to think about before you go down that path. Primarily, it takes a lot of practice to get the pistol up to a good retention position without covering yourself or someone near you with the muzzle. Add in some stress and fingers going to the trigger prematurely, and I personally don't think it's a great idea for a lot of people.

That said, with the right holster, it's comfortable, and the pistol conceals really well.

It's hard to conceal when you bend down. It makes a "whale tail" with your shirt and immediately announces to everyone that you have a gun. Couple that with slow draw times and invariably muzzling yourself on the draw...

Not for me.

I carry SOB frequently, its easier for me to conceal with my frame and build with compact and larger platforms.

If you get a good holster you don't even know its there when driving - unless you have the lumbar support at the max.

Like others have said though if you fall on it, it will hurt and limit your ability to draw if you have an incapacitated primary hand or arm. If you're comfortable though with that it's a great way to carry.

I carry SOB a lot when riding my Harley. I can't speak as to your level of training and others but drawing and flagging yourself is not an issue with proper training. Speed is also slightly reduced but with good SA this is a negligible factor but when those hairs tingle and you make the initial purchase it isn't as much of a tell tell.

Having said all the above I carry the most in my crossbreed.

Edited by Slpeod
Guest drwright6

I carried SOB a long time ago because I thought it was comfortable compared to other carry methods. I always worried about printing or not being able to draw fast enough if needed. It was also a pain to re-holster. Not knowing a better solution, I ended up putting the gun in the safe and gave up. FFWD 15 years and I decided to try again. Thanks to info I found on the internet and TGO I decided to try IWB hybrid holster and I works great at 4:00. I have zero issues now and even carry 12 to 14 hours some days.

When I was young and dumb and still liked 1911's I carried a full size in the small of the back. I fell once and landed on my back. I could barely walk for the whole weekend and was sore for a week. Never again. Ever.

As I've gotten older and [hopefully] a bit wiser, I can't see a valid reason to ever put a gun back there. Mike already laid it out. Hard to draw on the quick AND you have to sweep your own lower abdomen to draw??? Screw that.

I prefer back pocket to small of back, its faster, its less risky if you fall on your backside, and less prone to sticking out or up, and easier to sit on (though not for extended periods, it will ruin your back over time to sit on a lump).

AND you have to sweep your own lower abdomen to draw??? Screw that.

Now im not familiar with the different types of holsters AT ALL, but im wondering how you sweep your abdomen? The only SOB holster ive ever seen holds the pistol upside down with the grip on the strong side. Slide runs parallel with your belt and grip is above the waistline.

Edit: Upon googling it seems as that form of SOB carry is called "butt up" carry

Edited by nightrunner

I've encountered a handful of people who prefer SOB carry and I have made a couple of SOB holsters for people, but my personal impression is that it's not the most practical or comfortable way to carry. I got in the habit of carrying my pistol strong side either in an OWB or IWB holster. Always in the same place, whether it was my duty holster or off-duty holster (and now my CCW holster).

Now im not familiar with the different types of holsters AT ALL, but im wondering how you sweep your abdomen? The only SOB holster ive ever seen holds the pistol upside down with the grip on the strong side. Slide runs parallel with your belt and grip is above the waistline.

Edit: Upon googling it seems as that form of SOB carry is called "butt up" carry

Well, you either tuck tight and cross your lower abdomen and hip or you swing wide like a mad man. Either way it's not conductive to timely, precise or wise deployment. But hey! What the heck do I know?

Well, you either tuck tight and cross your lower abdomen and hip or you swing wide like a mad man. Either way it's not conductive to timely, precise or wise deployment. But hey! What the heck do I know?

Im asking as ive never used that form of carry before. It seems to me when you cleared leather if you carry right hand strong side you would simply rotate up and be on target? Or maybe its completely different in actual practice?

I used SOB carry right up until I slipped and fell. I landed more on my butt than on the gun but it hurt like hell. It made my hands tingly for a while afterwards I and was sore for a couple weeks. Couple that with slow draw and simply not being comfortable with retention, I moved to 4:00 and/or pocket carry.

I see everyone states that carrying SOB has caused issues when falling on your pistol in that position. Really?? No matter where you carry, you run the risk of getting hurt when falling on your pistol no matter where it is. If you carry at 3 Oclock and fall on your side, your pistol could easily break your ribs. Carry at the 5ish position like me, and you risk the gun smackin your kidney's. No matter where you fall, IF you fall on your gun you could get hurt. Nuff said.

Now.....I find the 5ish position to be the best for me and my set up. (G26 in IWB MTAC) No issues with all daily life and daily life activities. Much better position for me than all others for carry.

Edited by kwe45919
  • Like 1

Im asking as ive never used that form of carry before. It seems to me when you cleared leather if you carry right hand strong side you would simply rotate up and be on target? Or maybe its completely different in actual practice?

Depends on whether you're set up to grab grip with palm into your body or away from your body as to exact drawstroke.

For example, for a right hander, here is palm OUT:

37100254_scaled_448x357.jpg

And here is palm IN:

51dzBc76voL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

- OS

Well, either way, look at how you have to articulate your wrist to get it out. ...

Yeah, that's one of two main reasons I abandoned SOB after experimenting quite a bit. The other was just comfort when sitting, unless you slouch.

But I loved the concealment. That natural hollow down yer back is custom made for hiding a heater (with the vertical carry method).

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I carry SOB fairly regularly. Most comfy way for me to carry actually... and I'm sitting all day!

Never heard of someone sweeping their body while drawing from this position before. Seems to me if you're doing that, then you're doing it wrong :shrug:

Draw time is a bit slower but there's not any other carry position that awards the carrier more "tactical surprise" then SOB, which is what I thought was the whole idea behind CC. BG demands your wallet, you reach behind you like you're complying and boom.

The only drawbacks for me is it makes my pants sag in the back (noassatall).

Yeah palm in is what i was thinking of. Never the palm out but thar doesnt even look like a good idea.

I guess a picture really is worth a thousand words.

I found palm out to be much more natural motion and less strain on the wrist (as in first pic, vertical carry).

And as long as gun is pointed down until moved anti-clockwise around the right side, there's no "covering your own body" with it at all. As with any method, you should practice -- you'll fight the way you train and all that.

- OS

I see everyone states that carrying SOB has caused issues when falling on your pistol in that position. Really?? No matter where you carry, you run the risk of getting hurt when falling on your pistol no matter where it is. If you carry at 3 Oclock and fall on your side, your pistol could easily break your ribs. Carry at the 5ish position like me, and you risk the gun smackin your kidney's. No matter where you fall, IF you fall on your gun you could get hurt. Nuff said.

Now.....I find the 5ish position to be the best for me and my set up. (G26 in IWB MTAC) No issues with all daily life and daily life activities. Much better position for me than all others for carry.

I agree, falling on your gun hurts regardless of location. But for most folks, there's a lot more ...um... padding around the sides than in the center of your back. Broken ribs, bruised kidneys, or appendix are one thing, but a damaged spine is an order of magnitude worse.