Ruger MKIII Suppressor

Hey guys:

I'm looking for some advice here. I've been thinking about a suppressed .22, and am considering my options.

Option 1: Purchase a suppressed receiver and switch back and forth.

Option 2: Sell the MKIII, and just purchase a complete suppressed unit. Probably another Ruger. Would purchasing one of these with the rest of the gun included be cheaper overall (Counting the $200 or so I'd get for the original gun?)

Option 3: Just ASK the neighbors to keep their kids off my lawn.

Kidding.

My main reason for wanting one is "Just for the hell of it." So, I'm interested in hearing the ideas of others. Thanks.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I appreciate the replies. I may just install a sprinkler system and use it as needed.

As for the gun, I have not seen threaded barrels for MKIIIs, although that is a smart idea (There may be a 10/22 in my future if I can ever get out of the city).

Does Hero Gear perform this kind of work? Ballpark numbers for cost?

Thanks much.

I appreciate the replies. I may just install a sprinkler system and use it as needed.

As for the gun, I have not seen threaded barrels for MKIIIs, although that is a smart idea (There may be a 10/22 in my future if I can ever get out of the city).

Does Hero Gear perform this kind of work? Ballpark numbers for cost?

Thanks much.

Yep, we can help with the entire process.

We should get together in person or offline and develop a game plan.

Guest AK4ME

Buy a threaded Pac-lite upper for your Ruger and add a muzzle can. Tac-65 is a great .22 can and is not very expensive. Google is your friend.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest m4coyote

I will second the Tactical Solutions products. The Pac-Lite upper is for the Ruger pistols, and the Trail-Lite barrel is for the Browning Buck Mark. The Buck Mark just requires an easily swapped barrel, but the Ruger requires an entire new receiver, unless you want to have the original barrel threaded. The upper receiver for the Ruger is the serial numbered part of the gun, and requires an FFL to receive it.

I have the 4" Trail-Lite threaded barrel on my Buck Mark, and use a Tactical Innovations Stratus suppressor on it. The Stratus is equally at home on my CZ 452 American 16, and Ruger 10/22, and it can be disassembled and cleaned by the end user.

Hi-Desert Dog is another good place to look at threaded barrels for various firearms, and their prices are very reasonable.

• 8 months later...
Don't mess with your pistol!, Get a used Ruger .22 auto and add the Pac-lite threaded barrel. Or just get a 10/22 and the Pac-lite barrel.

The only problem with that is that a PAC-Lite threaded barrel will cost you more than the used gun you bought. They are nice and light, but do not offer any accuracy advantage over the factory MK pistol barrel and are considered firearms in and of themselves.

Hero Gear is giving you good advice folks

...the easiest and "best" way to do is to have the existing gun threaded. When not "canned" the threads can be covered with a threaded nut that matches the barrel. Even better if your gun is stainless as there is no re-blue required.

Guest Todd@CIS
Option 4. have your current gun threaded, and buy a can.

That way you can build a nice .22 long gun and have it threaded to use the same suppressor.

+1

I bought a 9mm suppressor. I can put it on anything from 9mm on down. Yes, it's bigger than a .22 suppressor, but I like the versatility (and I've also found that it works better on a .22 than a .22 suppressor).

• 5 months later...
Guest Todd@CIS

I've got an AAC.

To clean, I just plug one end with my finger, pour in some bore sorvent, plug the other end with a finger, shake and drain. Then I blow it out with some bake cleaner.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest louderthebetter

I bought a supressed Ruger years ago when AWC was in Cave Springs Az before they

moved.Its an intergrated system that I have to break down to clean and re-pack.

I have a butt load of copper Chore Boy scouring pads un-rolled and cut into strips

and twisted into ropes with a cordless drill ahead of time to speed the process of re-packing.With a fresh re-pack and subsonic 22 ammo this Ruger is remarkably quiet but a pita to service.

I also have a Hard Times Armory can on my Mac 10 that I just change the wipes on and it works ok but when the Mac is in rock n roll mode,the action makes so much noise,its almost a waste of time using it.

Guest Plunky
I've got an AAC.

To clean, I just plug one end with my finger, pour in some bore sorvent, plug the other end with a finger, shake and drain. Then I blow it out with some bake cleaner.

Keep shooting 22 through that can & you'll have a very expensive paper weight in due time which AAC will not warranty too. Bore solvent will not get the lead buildup out.

Best advise is to get a dedicated 22 can that comes apart. Might want to read up on things at Silencer Talk where even industry representatives post. You can see non-biased reviews of different suppressors at Silencer Research as well. There is good info to learn there, especially if you are new to suppressors.

I have a Silencerco Sparrow as well as a Tac65 just for 22's. The Sparrow is the better can of the two (quieter), but more expensive, and much easier to take apart and clean than the Tac.

Check this out:

/Just my .02

If he keeps doing mag dumps with the AM180 the suppressor will be a paper weight in no time. NO .22 can is made to stand up to 275 round mag dumps. 20 rounds through a M16 with a .22 kit in it I can see but the AM180 will eventually melt any .22 can down.

-Jason G

Guest Plunky
If he keeps doing mag dumps with the AM180 the suppressor will be a paper weight in no time. NO .22 can is made to stand up to 275 round mag dumps. 20 rounds through a M16 with a .22 kit in it I can see but the AM180 will eventually melt any .22 can down.

-Jason G

I agree that multiple beta dumps will ruin any can, even a Sparrow which is FA rated. I just posted that video to show how easy the Sparrow comes apart after having lead everywhere in it. They have the best concept out there for disassembly IMHO. Sure beats using dowels to beat out baffles, or special pusher tools, or sending a can back to the factory & paying over $100 to get it cleaned.