Electrical question

This is one of the job's you may need some help. The end results will better if you decide what you want, long term, and hire a electrician.

There are several potential problem with a small project like this.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

jimmy

If you you weren't so far away I'd run over there and help you and it'd be done in no time. My Dad has enough left over 12-2 to do two houses from scratch. LOL! I love meeting people from this forum. Everyone here I've met in person has been first class.

Brad

Guest bkelm18

This is one of the job's you may need some help. The end results will better if you decide what you want, long term, and hire a electrician.

There are several potential problem with a small project like this.

Just my thoughts. Good luck.

jimmy

Not really. It's pretty simple. If you're not dumb and don't short something out, the worst you could do is overload a circuit. Your work may not be 100% code, but there's little danger involved.

Edited by bkelm18
Well there is a good reason for that.....I hadn't thought of that ;). Should I split it in the switch box, or at the top of the wall where the line drops down the wall?

I am assuming I should run the wire up to the ceiling and back down, mid wall, to avoid ripping out drywall.

Essentially I'm looking for the easiest way to get at least one outlet on that wall. And if I could kick the builders ass for not putting them in to begin with I would

My first choice would be to convert the existing gang box where the light switches are to a junction, cut out the drywall just to the right to install a zip box (the retrofit type with the molly type ears that grab the inside of the drywall, so no stud mount needed, and assuming you have a 16" center frame spacing to the next stud) for relocating the switches, and a zip box below the new junction for the outlet. Do the lights in question have multiple switches? Be sure to take a photo of the way they're wired, label them, whatever method you're cool with, to make sure they're rewired as they were if they are double pole switches.

Edited by subsonic

Well the two overhead wires are a 12-3 and a 12-2. These run the lights in the basement. The 3 wire is obviously the run between the switches, but I can't tell if the 2 wire is from the breaker or outgoing to the light sockets. If I turn the switch off and the 2 wire is still got can I assume that's coming in from the breaker?

With all that said I'm gonna just grab the hot wire in the switch box. There are 2 black(hot) wires nutted together. These are hot all the time regardless of switch position. There are also 3 neutrals wire nutted together. Can I add a 4th neutral there? Also can I just ground on the bare copper running to the switch?

Guest bkelm18

Well the two overhead wires are a 12-3 and a 12-2. These run the lights in the basement. The 3 wire is obviously the run between the switches, but I can't tell if the 2 wire is from the breaker or outgoing to the light sockets. If I turn the switch off and the 2 wire is still got can I assume that's coming in from the breaker?

With all that said I'm gonna just grab the hot wire in the switch box. There are 2 black(hot) wires nutted together. These are hot all the time regardless of switch position. There are also 3 neutrals wire nutted together. Can I add a 4th neutral there? Also can I just ground on the bare copper running to the switch?

Yeah neutral and ground don't really matter where they hook in as long as they hook in somewhere. It's probably not code but it'll work.

Edited by bkelm18
Guest pfries

Lumber_Jack,

You doing this in JC or Knox?

I can free myself up tommorrow afternoon if you would like and help you keep it in code if you are in JC.

Lumber_Jack,

You doing this in JC or Knox?

I can free myself up tommorrow afternoon if you would like and help you keep it in code if you are in JC.

I'm in Johnson City. I'd love help but only if your free. I'm getting wire and box right now. Id like to get this done by tomorrow so that'd be good if you can.

Well thanks to Pfries I have 3 new outlets run to a brand new GFCI 20amp breaker. I couldn't have done it without him, and now I don't have to use power strips to run multiple applications. Everything is run to code and nice and neat. Thanks again Pfries I owe you one!!aefcb137-0f71-d44c.jpg

Edited by Lumber_Jack
Guest agt.dealer

hey man,i didnt really have time to read all the reply's but im a 15 year electrician and see your in knoxville i would be happy to help ya out if your close or give me a call if needed.pm me your number or i can p.m you mine.let me know.

hey man,i didnt really have time to read all the reply's but im a 15 year electrician and see your in knoxville i would be happy to help ya out if your close or give me a call if needed.pm me your number or i can p.m you mine.let me know.

Man I really appreciate the offer. Pfries came over today and installed a new GFCI breaker and ran 3 outlets for me. This was for my house in Johnson City anyways. But know that I really appreciate the offer to help.