Legal carry in state parks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

It is legal to carry in all TN State Parks. Most of them still have some form of "No Firearms" sign, but those do not apply to HCP holders, you can ignore the sign.

Edited by bkelm18

Been legal for several years.

The reason signs are still up in some parks is because it would have cost money to change or make new signs, that cost added to the bill would have been enough for some to vote against it. So the law specifically says signs are not to be changed. Whenever a sign needs to be changed for another reason, broken, unreadable etc... the new can leave off the "No Firearms"

Clear as mud, huh? :)

So you can only carry your handgun, no long guns allowed?

Except for legally hunting, where else in TN can you carry a loaded rifle?

Carry in state parks same as carry anywhere else in TN, except they can't post them (or buildings within them, unlike national parks).

- OS

Except for legally hunting, where else in TN can you carry a loaded rifle?

Carry in state parks same as carry anywhere else in TN, except they can't post them (or buildings within them, unlike national parks).

- OS

Didn't think the question through, but that was the answer I was expecting. Guess no Sub 2000 in a future pack, darn. I still want one after shooting yours OhShoot. Edited by gjohnsoniv

Didn't think the question through, but that was the answer I was expecting. Guess no Sub 2000 in a future pack, darn. I still want one after shooting yours OhShoot.

Yeah, that's only drawback; have a fold up rifle that will fit in a briefcase or backpack, but can't legally carry it around, so what's the real point?

I guess you can in some states, but not too many. There was a thread on WarriorTalk some time back, bunch of folks claiming they took their Sub2000 around with them "everywhere", I asked what states were they in where that was legal, crickets, killed thread. :)

So, at least in TN, pretty handy for a vehicle rifle I guess, but that's about it. Prob with that is, I'm not gonna risk having a gun stolen out of my vehicle -- even if it's not a real expensive item like the Sub2000, it's not easily replaced either, not to mention being out the bucks.

- OS

That's my only problem with buying one. I know I would be way to tempted to carry in my attache' case to work, but I think that opens up another can of worms. It is private property and my boss doesn't care, but I wonder what the ruling on that is. The other problem with the Sub 2000 is that I can't find one. I had the chance at a local store and was going to come back at the end of the week to buy it, but by the time I got back it had sold. I was quite disappointed. Hopefully though I can find one of the "Gen II" ones with the updated front sight post.

.... It is private property and my boss doesn't care, but I wonder what the ruling on that is.

Well, it's not your private property. ;)

Seriously, though, some folks think the "one's place of work" exception means anywhere you work, some think it means owner only. Ongoing debate on that one. Don't know the definitive answer, probably because there's no case law.

The other problem with the Sub 2000 is that I can't find one. I had the chance at a local store and was going to come back at the end of the week to buy it, but by the time I got back it had sold. I was quite disappointed. Hopefully though I can find one of the "Gen II" ones with the updated front sight post.

Yeah, and another reason I grabbed the one when I could; can't find one when you're looking for it, especially in the mag config you may want. Didn't know there was an updated model, I'll check it out...

- OS

This is very true, my boss is more like a father to me but that wouldn't stand it court. I'm sure that will come up in an argument one of these days though with the way people are acting. It'll be interesting to see how it turns out. Yeah I really want one in either the Sig 226 configuration, the Glock 17, or Beretta 92 (swapped over to Sig.) Since I want all three of those pistols one of these days, but unfortunately I can't find one in any of those flavors. Apparently the only real change in the new one is an easier to adjust front sight. Instead of having to do the turn one screw, then turn the other, then do it all over again deal. At least thats what I thought of it.

Edited by gjohnsoniv