Pointers and lessons learned when starting to carry.

Guest FIST

You could also look at the 5.11 Covert Dress Shirt, I have several of those. I'm not sure if they still make it but they do have one with snaps instead of buttons as a break away for carrying in a shoulder holster. That and their Covert Khakis, four mag pouches in separate zippered pockets under the main pockets, and hidden leg pockets.

I picked up a couple of those 5.11 shirts, also got one that is like a Under Armour and has the built in pockets under the arm pits. For any one interested they have the Under Armour shirts at the Ft Campbell PX for $45, everywhere else was around $65 and up.

Guest Broomhead

Any one have luck with small of the back carry? Pros/Cons?

SOB carry isn't all that great, especially if you're clumsy. If you fell backward on your gun, you will be damaging something in your back. I would recommend carrying around either 4:00-5:00 or 7:00-8:00.

I only know what I've read about SOB carry. The cons Are that your arm is in an awkward position (self-imposed chicken wing) when drawing that is easily foiled in close encounters, if you fell on it you'd be likely to have spinal damage, and it's hard not to sweep yourself during the draw when in an oh $hi+ moment.

Just what I've heard. I've also never ran with scissors, so YYMV.

I see you've already gotten a couple of the "if you fall you'll crush every vertebra from coccyx to skull" responses. :)

It must be true 'cause "everybody" says it -- everyone that is except anyone who has ever actually done it. :)

I experimented with it, and there's no doubt that SOB carry may compromise sitting upright with good posture in a chair or while driving though.

- OS

I see you've already gotten a couple of the "if you fall you'll crush every vertebra from coccyx to skull" responses. :)

It must be true 'cause "everybody" says it -- everyone that is except anyone who has ever actually done it. :)

I experimented with it, and there's no doubt that SOB carry may compromise sitting upright with good posture in a chair or while driving though.

- OS

How long did you try it for? What ultimately made you decide to not continue it?

How long did you try it for? What ultimately made you decide to not continue it?

I was using IWB -- wore it out and about a few days, around the house for a few. I just didn't find it all that comfy, but a vertical gun sure does hide there pretty well in that hollow of your back, and I'm quite particular about concealment.

An upright IWB like this hides very well. You have to decide which way you want to draw it, and I found this oriented like this pic was best for me (right handed), so it's really a left handed holster if wearing it 7 to 11 oclock. I used a cheapo left hander to try out after finding that a right handed IWB (grip pointed other way from one in pic) really took quite the contortion to get to.

37100254_scaled_448x357.jpg

If concealment isn't an issue, this type OWB model is pretty popular, but would need a jacket to cover it if not wanting to just open carry:

51dzBc76voL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Also, though, it's hard to get my wrist to turn to grab it this way. I saw some guy claiming to use the left handed version upside down, but retention might be pretty iffy.

All in all though, came down to comfort, so I just do IWB about 4:30. Although due to needing perfect concealment few days a week now, I just carry a Kahr in the pocket mostly over last 2 years.

If you can believe various forums, there are any number of people who carry with some form of SOB all the time, though, so certainly not saying it wouldn't suit you of course; I believe the falling on it thing to be an insignificant factor -- I've done some mighty pratfalls in my days on ice, oil and whatnot, and seems physics dictates that my tush meets the ground first.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I doubt it'd feel good if I fell on my strong side hip and landed on my gun.

Yah, I don't know why armchair gun lore doesn't claim that will automatically necessitate a hip replacement.

I'm mostly pocket carrying these days, so I'm sure a fall on that side will cause my femur to be broken in half. :)

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Like 1

SOB carry isn't all that great, especially if you're clumsy. If you fell backward on your gun, you will be damaging something in your back. I would recommend carrying around either 4:00-5:00 or 7:00-8:00.

Meh. Internets myth.

If you fall hard 'nuff to damage your spine, that little ~one inch piece of plastic or steel is not going to make much difference.

Not that, that actually matters much anyway. Gun is actually at lower lumbar.

I am not a doctor nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night... but I have broken my back in two places (broken, as in broken in two three) and am more then comfortable carrying small of back high on ass. ;)

Guest msparks

I wish somebody had told me to carry my knife on the opposite side from my handgun. That way if somebody tried to grab your weapon, you could retain it in the holster with one hand and bring out the knife with the other to go after their hands.

One of the great things of being left handed but shooting right handed.

I carry my knife naturally on the left and the gun on the right. Same goes with the extra magazine, it goes on the right too.

A good belt helps you wear any type of clothing. A good holster should keep your gun hidden. Most people aren't watching you as you think. Yes there are "people watchers" and "grandmaws" looking for thugs and what not but if you don't present yourself that way, you won't get a second glance. Holsters aren't made for you, their made for everyone. With everyone being different, what works for others won't work for you but it doesn't hurt to try since you want the most comfortability you can get. I carry an extra mag on me at all times and have 2 loaded mags with a box of 50rnds in the vehicle...in case you are fighting your way back to your vehicle, you can reload once you are there while trying to continue to get away.

Practice your draw (dry without ammo of course) at home often. That way you aren't fumbling for it when you need it. If you decide to carry a spare mag, do dry mag drills to ensure you're ability to change out mags quickly. Always reholster slow and deliberate vs. fast and careless. Practive your "draw and fire" as you can at the range........

Ive learned that how ever you carry whether its IWB or OWB, make sure its comfortable. I'll sacrifice having it print a little or showing slightly to give me comfort and fast access if I can't have both. I really like the OWB kydex rigs. They ride nice and snug against my waist, light weight, and very fast. Even when I'm wearing a slimmer shirt, there is minimal printing.

• 2 weeks later...

Along with the knife thing i recommend carrying wallet on the opposite side of carry position, Its more for potential LE encounters than daily use, but is useful during my routine day as well.

I started carrying my wallet on my left side when I got my permit just for this such a scenario. I figured if I am reaching for my wallet I don't want him to worry I'm "going for it", and have found it also helps during the winter when sweeping my jacket out of the way and, if it were to be in my right side I would be exposing my weapon and possibly scaring the sheep.

Edited by BlackHawk93

Like others have said, no one is really looking for you to have a gun. I cannot quote exact numbers, but the probablity that you have seen people in public carrying is pretty great. I do not know about you, but I have never noticed anyone carrying unless it was open. So just think about that, you have probably seen countless people carrying, but likely spotted one or none. That is you now. Carry often and carry concealed. The more you carry, the more comfortable it will be. I really often forget I am carrying. I know I am bacause I do it everyday, but now it has become like putting on pants.

As for method of carry, I carry IWB at 4-5 about 95% of the time. The holster I use is probably not ideal, but I feel like I could spend a fortune and search a lifetime and still not find the perfect one. It may print a little, but most people will not either (1) look hard enough to discern what it is or (2) make the jump assumption from bump to gun. The only person in over five years who has ever "called" me on carrying is a lady who saw me holster it as I was getting out of my vehicle to go in another building after I had been to the post office.

With all this said, my advice would be:

1. Be comfortable- find a holster/gun combo that is comfortable and secure for you to carry. Don't worry about all the crap you hear about which positions are best and all the stuff about keys in this pocket etc. Experiment with all the different setups for you. If you are uncomfortable, you will violate number 2.

2. Be relaxed- don't fidget and act uneasy, it draws attention to you. Not only will it draw attention, but if you are already on edge, you will not be able to respond appropriately if a situation arises.

3. Be confident- even if you do get spotted or called out, know that you are completely in your right. Don't be cocky but be able to stand firm if confronted.

Edited by dats82
Guest Broomhead
With all this said, my advice would be:

1. Be comfortable- find a holster/gun combo that is comfortable and secure for you to carry. Don't worry about all the crap you hear about which positions are best and all the stuff about keys in this pocket etc. Experiment with all the different setups for you. If you are uncomfortable, you will violate number 2.

2. Be relaxed- don't fidget and act uneasy, it draws attention to you. Not only will it draw attention, but if you are already on edge, you will not be able to respond appropriately if a situation arises.

3. Be confident- even if you do get spotted or called out, know that you are completely in your right. Don't be cocky but be able to stand firm if confronted.

This!! Wish I could have said it that perfectly! Dats82 hit the nail on the head.