Pointers and lessons learned when starting to carry.

Guest FIST

I'm new to it (about 2 months) and I guess I'm still in the "everyone is watching me phase". I'm just curious how others have fared and if anyone has a tip or two that they wish someone with more experience had told them when they started.

Some of the things I find myself doing,

-buying and changing holsters like I change my underwear

-I tend to spend a lot of time pulling and repositioning my shirt trying to ensure the pistol is covered (I know open carry is allowed in TN, I'm trying to work on keeping it concealed for travel to and through states with no open carry)

-wondering if and when it is worth while to wear an extra magazine on me, I keep one in the truck since I'm still trying to find "right" with the holster and position of.

-re-evaluating my clothes, other than the obvious reason to assist in concealment I find my self trying to dress more inconspicuous. Just trying not to stand out as much as possible

Any tips or hints would be appreciated. If you have anything that helped you specifically while carrying a M&P compact (holster, location of holster, clothing, etc..) that would be great too. Also I am about 6'3 and 245, I have heard that different methods work for people with slightly more padding than the average bear. Thanks.

Guest RCLARK

I doubt anyone will tell you that they havent gone through the same thing. I have a closet full of holsters. Finally settled on 1 or 2 that I use. I did settle on 2 different guns and I will choose between them just like I do the holsters and clothes. My wardrobe has over time been adjusted to accommodate carrying. I choose my clothes for the day with situation and carrying in mind. I still check the gun and make sure it's "ok" several times a hour. I don't think that will change and not sure I want it to. Best advice I can give you is just keep carrying. You'll find your comfort zone eventually and it will become second nature. I feel naked and vulnerable now if i dont have it on.

Based on our lifestyles and such, we are all different. However, I have a pile of holsters that I bought and tried and threw in a corner. I have been carrying about two years and I do check my clothing and cover on a regular basis. Personally, I wouldn't bother with an extra mag, I feel like that in a situation of actually having to pull my weapon, one shot, if any, would be all required to end the situation. And yes, I tend to dress differently than I do when I'm not carrying.

Carry is different for guys of different sizes, for sure. However, personal preference is more important.

i have fewer carry holsters than I do feet ,LOL. I bought one and make it work.

I am always grabbing the handle to make sure it is not exposed or printing too bad. I doubt that habit will ever stop.

as time goes by you will become less worried about carrying and it being seen.

No one is paying any attention to you anyway.

• Like 1

I wish somebody had told me to carry my knife on the opposite side from my handgun. That way if somebody tried to grab your weapon, you could retain it in the holster with one hand and bring out the knife with the other to go after their hands. Another one is that shirts with stripes or patterns print a lot less than solid color shirts. But like Mike.357 said, nobody notices an inch or two of barrel sticking out the bottom of your shirt except cops and other HCP holders.

Experience is really the best teacher. Keep carrying responsibly and the rest will sort itself out.

As far as the extra magazine is concerned alot of folks myself included carry one or two extra in case of magazine failure. My gun will not fire without the magazine in. If the bottom plastic retainer gets broken and the guts fall out I have a paperweight unless I have a spare.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Along with the knife thing i recommend carrying wallet on the opposite side of carry position, Its more for potential LE encounters than daily use, but is useful during my routine day as well.

I've had the one is none thing drilled in to me for so long that i always carry a spare mag everywhere i go and usually a spare pistol.

If you intend to use a IWB holster buy your pants a size larger in the waist, it makes a big comfort difference. I carry my M&P in a MTAC between the 3 and 4 oclock position

practice practice practice. Build good muscle memory, by practicing your draw slowly and methodically, the speed will come on its own through consistancy

never ever carry on FT Campbell its not worth it

Guest Lowbuster

I've found that over the 15-16 yrs I carry, people don't look for it, they will. It even notice anything unless you're being obvious tugging and pulling on your shirt. Check when you get out of car, and after bendeng over and no one other than other cc will notice.

The best advice I can give you is to take a class in handgun self defense and then practice, practice, practice until it's second nature. I have only had to draw a gun in self defense one time during a home invasion and I did everything wrong. I got lucky and did not have to shoot. The "bad guy" was my drunk Viet Nam vet neighbor who got his house confused with mine. He realized his mistake and went home before he gained entry.

The best advice I can give you is to take a class in handgun self defense and then practice, practice, practice until it's second nature. I have only had to draw a gun in self defense one time during a home invasion and I did everything wrong. I got lucky and did not have to shoot. The "bad guy" was my drunk Viet Nam vet neighbor who got his house confused with mine. He realized his mistake and went home before he gained entry.

Could you expalin what being a Vietnam vet had to do with the situation. Being a 'Nam vet

myself, just curious.

Edited by Grunt67

My most comfy OWB holster is a High Noon Slide Guard. It rides high, tight, and out of sight.

My overall fave is still the Crossbreed SuperTuck. Even when I carry a full size pistol, it's easy to forget it's there (little to no printing).

Like the others said...the belt is everything! I use a heavy Amish leather belt (<$30) or an Uncle Mike's kydex reinforced instructor belt. Either would be an excellent choice, IMHO.

I tend to favor the "one is none, two is one, and three is better" philosophy someone eluded to earlier. So, I ALWAYS carry a spare mag and a backup gun. It may not be needed, but it makes me feel better knowing I have a backup plan.

Edited by BigK

I tried out one of the 5.11 tactical undershirts with the built in holster/pouch under the arm pits. It was comfortable but the only way to keep the pistol secure seemed to be to push it as far in to the pocket as possible. Trying to draw with it in there is tough. I am starting to think that some type of shoulder holster could be a great option for me as I normally wear button up shirts. I appreciate the input from everyone. Thank you.

I tried out one of the 5.11 tactical undershirts with the built in holster/pouch under the arm pits. It was comfortable but the only way to keep the pistol secure seemed to be to push it as far in to the pocket as possible. Trying to draw with it in there is tough. I am starting to think that some type of shoulder holster could be a great option for me as I normally wear button up shirts. I appreciate the input from everyone. Thank you.

Galco Jackass or Miami Classic rig. Under your sports jacket.

http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPT3.asp?ProductID=2384&CatalogID=2

I've been carrying nearly four years. It took me a while to find the holster that just felt fight. I still do the shirt tug. Whenever exiting a vehicle, standing after being seated, after reaching for something in a store, etc. One little hint I've found. If needing to tie a shoe, or get something from a lower shelf. kneeling is much less likely to expose your handgun than bending over.

One more thing, most gun owners have a bag/box of holsters.

I've carried various full sized guns up to 4 1/2"(Glock 22) and 4 3/4"(CZ75B) barrels with this. Conceal with a button up shirt, 1 size up.

http://bianchi-intl....p?TxtModelID=82

Holds tight to your body, also retention. I have three of these for various guns. It's OWB and they also have a paddle version.

http://bianchi-intl....p?TxtModelID=83

And a thumbsnap version

http://bianchi-intl....TxtModelID=7506

Edited by bubbiesdad

I've carried various full sized guns up to 4 1/2"(Glock 22) and 4 3/4"(CZ75B) barrels with this. Conceal with a button up shirt, 1 size up.

http://bianchi-intl....p?TxtModelID=82

Holds tight to your body, also retention. I have three of these for various guns. It's OWB and they also have a paddle version.

http://bianchi-intl....p?TxtModelID=83

And a thumbsnap version

http://bianchi-intl....TxtModelID=7506

+1 for the Bianchi 82. I also use a pocket holster when I'm carrying my Kahr P380 (VERY easy to conceal) and a Miami Classic shoulder rig when practical (not often...). Best advice I have is the same as a lot of others - just relax and you'll get comfortable with it before you know it.

I am in the same situation as OP. I have been carrying about two weeks. Luckily I only went thru one holster before finding the one I really like.

http://www.pythonholsters.com/spec_sheet.html?catalog[name]=-Universal-Miracle-Holster-UMAH---One-Size-Fits-Most-miracle&catalog[product_guids][0]=cbf749ac-6564-47b7-ac9a-fdfe89e14efd

It's nothing fancy, not even molded. I put it inside my belt, and it will fit both my Px4 subcompact, and my big 92fs. Talk about a wide range.... The holster flattens with no gun in it, so it has become part of my daily dress even when I am not carrying like at work.

Guest Broomhead

Just remember that no one is watching you, but the more you check your gun, try to conceal it more, fumble with it, etc. the more attention you will draw. If you start to feel the "eyes" watching you and start to panic a bit, just take a deep breath or two, and repeat to yourself that its all in your head.

I carry my KT P-11 in a DIY Remora-esque holster utilizing KT's pocket clip as well. I carry it at 1:30 and never feel the need to check myself, reposition it, or recover it. No one but my family knows its there, and they usually forget about it. Heck, I find myself forgetting its there it is so comfy. Sometimes the simplest is the best.

If you're going to get lazy about concealing it, you might as well just OC. No one will notice it any more thanif you have it sloppily concealed. I used to OC on occasion, but it just became easier to conceal it. The one thing I don't like about my carry style is that I can't easily OC if I feel the need to.