Civil War Reenacting

Guest bkelm18

Guest bkelm18

Anyone here ever get into much Civil War reenactment stuff? I've been wanting to do it for a while after I read my grandfather's research concerning my great great great grandfather who was a Lt. Col. in the 94th Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the war. I think I might take the plunge once I sort everything out and locate a good group or two in the area.

Tread carefully here!

If your great great great grandfather was an Lt Col in the OHIO Volunteers, that makes him a Yankee, and it seems to me that a lot of folks around here have looooong memories.

Don't laugh. A lot of folks take Civil War history very serously.

I live within 10 miles of the Stones River Battlefield, and as much as folks josh each other, in some ways, the Civil War is still being fought, 150 years later. For some folks, it might as well have been yesterday.

Edited by QuietDan
  • Like 1
Guest bkelm18

Tread carefully here!

If your great great great grandfather was an Lt Col in the OHIO Volunteers, that makes him a Yankee, and it seems to me that a lot of folks around here have looooong memories.

Don't laugh. A lot of folks take Civil War history very serously.

I live within 10 miles of the Stones River Battlefield, and as much as folks josh each other, in some ways, the Civil War is still being fought, 150 years later. For some folks, it might as well have been yesterday.

Thanks for the advice. Though I'm proud of my Yankee heritage, so if anybody takes issue with it, they can cram it. :) If anybody is ignorant enough to seriously take issue with what side somebody's ancestor fought for, then they are missing the whole point of reliving the history.

Guest bkelm18

Since East Tennesse was full of union sympathizers you'd do well to dress up like a yankee around here. :rolleyes:

Ever read "Confederates in the Attic"? It's a great account of the extent some reenactors go to.

I hadn't read it, no. I might pick it up or try and find a copy. I know some people, as in most things, go all out. Even just a basic, beginner set up costs around $1000 with the rifle and the uniform with its various accoutrements. Which is about as much as I want to spend. I don't really want to spend an enormous chunk of change on yet another hobby. Haha. Maybe someday if I really get into it. As you can guess, I'm not getting into it to rehash old rivalries, but rather to relive, respect, and experience what the soldiers on both sides went through to some extent and have a better grasp on that period of our history. I have no problem joining a Confederate unit given my heritage, but I doubt they'd want me. :P

Most units dress both as Union and Confederate. I can strongly recommend the 44th TN Inf out of Lebanon, though I'm not currently a member.

I have both Union and Confederate ancestors (31st Indiana and 4th Texas).

Guest bkelm18

Most units dress both as Union and Confederate. I can strongly recommend the 44th TN Inf out of Lebanon, though I'm not currently a member.

Do they have a website? The only one I can find looks like it's based out of Seattle.

There is a huge reenactment here every year .. Battle of Ft.Sanders.. they do have a website also..

We used to go and watch it.. Now that they did away with the "Cavalry Charge on Horseback ,since it was not authentic) I wont go anymore..

but they where always looking for people..

http://www.battleoffortsanders.com/Site/Welcome.html

Edited by Tulip

They seem like a good group of guys to me. I talked to them at the Wilson Co Fair last Aug and considered getting involved. I'm not really into that but my 9 yr old son is a war buff for ALL American wars and most foreign. He's AMAZING with all that stuff. He was in the Tennessean Saturday as the youngest competitor in the Geography Bee. AND he made the finals.

Brad

The 8th TN is a blue unit based in E TN. You might check them out. Most units will change coats to make the numbers at an event look better. If they didn't do this then events in GA and the Carolinas would be 90% Confederate, which would make for a very silly reenactment.

Some units are known for being pretty radical (like the example in 'Confederates in the Attic'). And even in each unit, members will have a wide variety of interests. The best way to do it is to shop around and hang out with a group at a reeneactment or three until you decide who you feel most comfortable with. Most units are very willing to loan you the gear to allow you to try things out. This also lets you find out what types of gear are the best and where to get them. Some units even have agreements with certain sutlers.

Here is a directory of TN reenacting groups. Some of the links are old and may not work, but most are valid:

http://www.reenactmenthq.com/units.asp?i=20&p=12&s=