Some days i love my job

We just got in a batch of M26 underbarrel shotguns into our arms room. As an attached system its eh ok, good breaching tool so that the breacher has their rifle right there ready to fight but so far i think i like it alot more as a standalone system. Some days my jobs annoying as hell other days i get to play with awesome new toys that civilians never get to fondle. Just something about a 3inch barrel 12 guage with an OAL of 24 inches (Collapsed) that you gotta love. Were supposed to have a range day for them of Friday hopefully i get the chance to make it out there and am not tasked with things that prevent my enjoyment of this weapon system. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M26_Modular_Accessory_Shotgun_System

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Im in the MP BN, technically we fall under sustainment but i refuse to acknowledge there existance. Didnt get very many rounds today unfortunately so i only got to fire it mounted to an m4 and not in the standalone configuration. Mounted its suprisingly light recoil really not much over what the 556 round generates. Not the biggest fan of the straight pull back bolt, its a little akward to run it mounted. Did a good bit of dry fire in its standalone configuration, got pretty quick with chambering the next round. Buddy of mine shot it in the standalone, said the recoil was way less than expected. Similar in recoil to some of the semi auto shotguns (his words). Thats probably due to the hydrolic buffer in the buttstock of the standalone system. they only came with 3 and 5 round magazines, but the mags look very similar to the saiga mags so im gonna have to go out and get one to see if they fit it. If they do im pretty sure we can talk our commander into ordering a bunch of the 10 rounders for use in the standalone systems. None of us want that much bulk hanging off our M4's so they probably wont be used in the ones we have mounted. I like the breaching tip (Flash hider looking ish thing on the front) gives you pretty much perfect standoff distance for ballistic breaching. So far i like it, not so sure that it was really that significant of an improvement over the older master key system, but it is lighter and magazine fed/higher capacity. Master key system if i remember right was limited to 3 rounds in the tube.

Theres no real tactical advantage to the 20 round drums, what you get in capacity you loose in space on your gear and akward handling, and from my experiance drum mags in general have a higher failure rate. Cant say this is true of the drum mags for the saiga as i have never used one.