Gen 4 Glocks–A Step Backward?

MikePapa1

I assumed you were still a Sig guy. There has been quite a bit of debate about it. I thought i would toss in my two cents, since I own one of each in the same size frame.

Not saying I disagree with all points in the article. Just saying I disagree that it's a step back. I have spent some time comparing the two.

EDIT: And by the way, somebody will be along in a minute to tell me I'm full of crap. You know how we are :pleased:

Edited by mikegideon

I own 2 Gen 4s and love them. The 9mm 17 and 19 models were over-sprung initially but this has been fixed with a free recoil assembly that is a 5-second fix. He's right that Glock didn't fix the stock sights or trigger pull, but steel night sights are readily available on the aftermarket and a 3.5lb connector is super easy to install. What Glock got right on the 4th Gen is a better grip and a larger magazine release. IMHO, these are both great upgrades.

I like the Gen 4 Glock's and I've owned Gen 1, 2 and 3 Glock models. The Gen 4 G-17 & G-22 are doing really well now and the problem's with the Gen 4 models are known. They're also solveable and the company has done a lot to adress these matter's. Glock isn't alone in this either, S&W has had and continues to have problems with the M&P. Either go with aftermarket parts for a fix or return the pistol to the factory to be updated or corrected. I don't know of any firearms platform that hasn't had problems when first introduced or with updates to the line.

I've owned Gen 1-4, incuding an early Gen 4 19. I just tossed the dual recoil spring, got a fitting and ran it with Gen 3 springs. There was no reason other than I could and have plenty of springs in varying weights. I saw that article earlier today when I was googling under "news" with Glock as the search term. I hope Glock the gun is bigger than that squabbling Glock family.

Guest No Ammo

I have the Glock 22 Gen4, love it, never a problem, It seems People just like to pick on Glocks & Kimbers, I have had many of both, & hope to have more :up:

I have the Glock 22 Gen4, love it, never a problem, It seems People just like to pick on Glocks & Kimbers, I have had many of both, & hope to have more :up:

I'm with you. Have a Gen4 G22 and love it. Still like my Gen3's as well but like the improvements on the Gen4 and plan to buy another one soon.

Finger grooves addition is why I don't own a Glock: I'd have gotten a 17 or 19, but just never found good deal on a Gen 2 when I had the bux to spare, so I saw even Gen 3 as a downer.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

I just shot my Gen 4 G23 today for the first time. I can tell a huge difference with the new RSA compared to a Gen3. It's odd that I didn't notice it as much with a Gen4 G19. I have successfully put 1000+ rounds through Gen4's without troubles.

I just shot my Gen 4 G23 today for the first time. I can tell a huge difference with the new RSA compared to a Gen3. It's odd that I didn't notice it as much with a Gen4 G19. I have successfully put 1000+ rounds through Gen4's without troubles.

We need to remember that Glock's biggest customer base is law enforcement. Taking the edge off the 40 was probably a good idea. The gen 4 G23 is the only .40 I own, so I can't compare. I DO understand why they would try to mitigate a little recoil if they could.

I think I gave Glocks a fair shake a while back. I picked up a Gen 3 Glock 34 for IDPA and just couldn't make myself like it. I ended up trading it off when I got a Gen 4 Glock 17. Now I'd have to say I'm a big fan of Glocks. If they hadn't made changes, I'dhave been left out of the Glock experience.

Besides, it's not a zero-sum game, they still make the Gen 3. So, what's the gripe? Everyone's happy, right?

Guest 6.8 AR

I'm going to have to fondle a gen 4 tomorrow. I had planned on getting one of those gen 3

FDE's, but I don't know. They're good, they're bad, they're good, they're bad. Fooey!

I like the finger grooves okay...or maybe I should say, they don't bother me.

I mostly shoot CZs and with the exception of some excellent red wattle grips from Dennis and Gustav Marschalko on my refinished CZ 82, none have finger grooves. So, you may be onto something there.

My only complaints about the older Gen Glocks were that they like holding a slippery brick. I had to readjust my grip after every shot and could barely get my little paws around them.

I had never owned a Glock before I got my Gen 4 Glock 26 a few months ago. . I dont know anything about any other Glock but mine. . but if I loved my Glock anymore than I do right now I would have to write a Dear Penthouse Forum letter about it. . I did put a set of meprolights on it and added the Pierce extentions to the 3 mags. . not missed a beat through about 600 rounds or so. . I just slip it into a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster. . and away we go. .two stalwart friends on a whirlwind adventure. . just like Shrek And Donkey. .

• Like 1

My Gen 4 G19 has been flawless through 200 rounds or so. I had Glock ship me a replacement spring but the original has been fine so far. Just switched out the OEM sights for some Trijicons so I need to get to the range and sight it in.

My Gen 3 G17 has had a couple of failures in over 1000 rounds.

I think Gen 4 is a step forward, but a very small step at that.

Guest 6.8 AR

Upon fondling them I choose to stay with the 3. I couldn't tell enough difference between the two

to want to pay 50 more bucks for one. I don't worry about grip angle and that other stuff, but I'm

an old fart. You guys getting fancy with any technical changes, Have fun. It didn't mean enough

to me.

Now changing a spring because of a failure, I can see, but I haven't had any problems with the

gen 3. Looked good for a tan colored Glock.

Upon fondling them I choose to stay with the 3. I couldn't tell enough difference between the two

to want to pay 50 more bucks for one. I don't worry about grip angle and that other stuff, but I'm

an old fart. You guys getting fancy with any technical changes, Have fun. It didn't mean enough

to me.

Now changing a spring because of a failure, I can see, but I haven't had any problems with the

gen 3. Looked good for a tan colored Glock.

I did some more fondling too. I still like the Gen 4 better with no backstrap. I don't own as many Glocks as you, and don't have near as many rounds down the pipe.

With that said, I'm just fine with my Gen 3 G19, especially since I got rid of that POS extended mag release. It came on the gun, and I hated it. FWIW, pricey as it is, the Vickers mag release is perfect. As good as the Gen 4 mag release IMO.