Anyone ever wrongfully denied on for purchase?

Guest adurbin

Guest adurbin

Need some help on this one. Three weeks ago I purchased a handgun with no problems. Today I went to purchase a .22 rifle, and was denied on the background check. I have NOTHING on my record. I have filed an appeal. Anyone else have anything similar happen? Thanks in advance for input as this is extremely frustrating for me.

I got turned down at a Gallatin pawn shop one time on an 870. They gave me the form, and on the way home, the guy called me and said to come back and get my gun. TBI called and said they accidentally typed in one wrong digit on my SS number. They apologized and told him to call me to come back and get my gun. (The BC was done over the phone, and the agent on the other end was typing in the info as the clerk related it.)

Guest adurbin

Yeah I used my social. I just hope it doesn't take that long to get corrected. I've got another piece on order that will be here soon.

Guest drv2fst

I heard from a guy that works at a gun store that he has seen LEO in the shop wearing their duty weapon and uniform get denied. Apparently the state is not too great about doing it's part of the process.

My boss got rejected but it was ok when he faxed in his appeal. He used his first name, William, instead of Billy which is how his SS number is registered. He went in on the weekend and the Outpost had his guns ready to go.

I never give my SSN. I was denied once last summer, appealed, and was approved a week later. No reason for the initial denial was given. I do not have a common last name, and as far as I know am the only person with my name in the US. Go figure. No problem since then either.

I figure that it was just an error at some point.

Guest Skeeter

If you were charged but there is not a disposition on file or a outstanding ticket they need to be clerared up or they can stop the transfer.

Edited by Skeeter

Subsequent to the instant background check I've purchased many new guns over the years with no problem. About three years ago I purchased a G30 at Outpost Armory and was approved with no problem...I was thinking about also buying a shotgun but wasn't sure...the next day I went back to get the shotgun and was denied!

I went through the appeal process and after it taking much longer than it was supposed to I got my State Senator involved; Outpost received a "conditional approval" that same day my Senator got involved and then the full approval the next day. As it turned out, I was once charged with fraud (a felony charge) but it was case of same name/wrong person...seems that the "charge" is sill in the system but not the fact that the charges were dropped (what a surprise that a government entity would make a mistake like that).

Of course, to protect our "privacy"; all the info gathered to show I was eligible to make a gun purchase has to be destroyed meaning that anytime this happens in the future I have to go through the process again. To prevent that, I decided to apply for the VAF through the FBI; sent in my fingerprints and other paperwork but the FBI said my fingerprints weren't detailed enough to match me to their files so I just gave up and if I buy a new weapon at an FFL I just warn them ahead of time that getting approval may take a while. :)

The incorrect charge that caused the problem happened more than 20 years ago - I've never figured out why, after all that time and after many purchases with no problems, that charge became an issue. :shrug:0

BY THE WAY...Given the enormous amount of ID theft going on today (fueled largely by illegal immigrants); just because YOU have not done anything to cause a problem does not mean that someone using your name and info has not been arrested/charged...I would encourage you to get to the bottom of this and make sure that you aren't the victim of IT theft.

Edited by RobertNashville
Guest adurbin
If you were charged but there is not a disposition on file or a outstanding ticket that needs to be clerared up.

Once again, there is absolutely nothing on my record..nothing.

Guest Skeeter

Once again, there is absolutely nothing on my record..nothing.

Fax the Appeal with the TIC'S Number you got from the FFL.

I was denied both times when I applied for a pistol purchase permit from the county sheriff. Both times it was BS.

The sheriff in my county is anti-gun and they deny permits all of the time hoping that you will not pursue the matter.

1st time: "Mr. Carry your permit was denied because you have a criminal record." I said "Sargent Cayton I don't have any criminal record at all!" He said "Were you involved in an assault on a police officer in Hoke county in 1984? (That's Fort Bragg)" I said, "I was in Tennessee in 1984 going to school". He said " Alright Mr. Carry come by and pick up your permit."

2nd Time: "My Carry their is a warrant out for your arrest in Massachusetts for failure to appear in court on a traffic violation." "But Sargent Cayton, I have never been to Massachusetts!" I had to call the magistrate in Massachusetts and have them fax the sheriff that I was not the William Carry they wanted. I then got my second permit.

After that I got my concealed carry permit and I don't have to got through the sheriff to purchase a handgun.

Guest Skeeter

Did you read my initial post? Lol

Not Really.

* I've ran so many of these and " The Responce " is all pretty much the same.

Guest adurbin

Not Really.

* I've ran so many of these and " The Responce " is all pretty much the same.

Wow, I honestly like to have all the information I can before jumping to assumptions and putting in my two cents, but hey, that's me. But, you have a nice day and thanks for your input all the same.

Guest Skeeter

Wow, I honestly like to have all the information I can before jumping to assumptions and putting in my two cents, but hey, that's me. But, you have a nice day and thanks for your input all the same.

Gee Your Welcome,

* other people that read this thread might find the " It's Not Me " posts of some use.

Had a Guy with a CCP " Denied " ( But I Have Nothing! )

Some time later came in said He was stopped by one of those tag Reader cars, Arrested, Jailed ( Policeman was nice enough not to Impound his car and handgun) Traffic Warrant. :squint:

Good day,

Edited by Skeeter

I had a denial on a .22 rifle about 8 years ago, but within days it was reversed. Since then, I've bought several pistols and rifles with an approval usually taking less than 15 minutes.

Edited by tnhawk
Guest Skeeter

A valid HCP should be satisfactory for handgun purchases.

Not likely.

Apr. 90,000 Background Checks to Date in 2012.

Lots of $$$$ for the State. :rant:

Edited by Skeeter