S&W J-frame sight question

graycrait

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

don't know. but if you call the company that makes them and they should tell you. don't the 640 have hard front sights? how are you going to change the hard sight to the fiber optic? i don't remember if the front sight is pined on.

Guest Lester Weevils

I didn't see any improvement of accuracy or ease of aiming with CT grips on an SW 649 and a NAA 380. Both of which have pitiful excuses for built-in sights.

The red laser dot wasn't bright enough to see outside for practice except the dreariest overcast days, or almost-dark near evening. If I'd point the gun at a target 7 or 10 yards away, it took more time to "hunt" for the little red dot than it took to look down the barrel of the gun. And I was equally wildly inaccurate with those two guns regardless using the pitiful excuse for sights, or the laser.

So some of it was just not being able to hold a tiny gun steady while squeezing a 10+ pound trigger. And some of it was problems of the laser dot neither being bright enough or big enough for me to see, or to "find" if it was visible, except in special conditions.

Something else I never figgered out. Maybe there is a trick to it. If the laser is properly adjusted to point of aim, then if you hold the gun in a conventional stance, the laser dot is hiding behind the front sight and you can't see the dang thing. So in order to see the dot had to hold the gun lower than usual, ruining years of muscle memory of how to hold the pistol for somewhat-decent accuracy. You guys that get good use out of lasers, what kind of stance do you use?