Which .380 ACP Personal Defense Ammo for Ruger LCP?

Which personal defense ammo are you using in your Ruger LCP?

I'm just trying to get an idea if you've found that your LCP functions better with one brand/type of ammo over another.

If you've found that your LCP will eat just about anything, why did you choose the ammo you are using?

Thank you in advance.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WIn white box FMJ. It's cheap, shoots great, and readily available. With the 380, I'm looking for reliable function and penetration over possible expansion.

I don't carry a .380, but if I did, FMJ is what I would feed it for these very reasons.

You might want to take a look at performance stats for Cor-Bon Pow'r Ball as well.

Don't have an LCP but do have a Kel Tec P3AT. Since the LCP is essentially a copy of the P3AT, I'll chime in.

I carry Federal Personal Defense HydraShoks in mine. I have found that it functions reliably in my gun. Some of the 'newer' ammo designs might function just as well but I don't really care to sink more cash into shooting several boxes of SD ammo through it to test (although I do plan to test PDX1 for functionality, eventually, because even Walmart stocks it so it is easy to find.) Also, while the tests I have seen (mostly individuals testing with wet pack, etc.) indicate that while it doesn't give huge expansion results, it does generally show some expansion and, as also indicated by the tests I have seen, it seems to consistently penetrate to 11.5 - 12 inches or more.

Some have said that there can be a problem with the jacket separating from the lead core. However, even in such instances the lead core seems to still penetrate to nearly 12 inches so I don't see that as a big deal, myself.

Edited by JAB

Cor-Bon DPX

I will second on the DPX. I used it and the pow'r ball with no issues. I simply had a preference for Critical Defense since that what I use in all of my carry guns.

I'll third the Cor-Bon. The wife carries it. She's fired a few boxes of it through her TCP, 100% plus it's pretty accurate. If there is such a thing as accuracy in such a package.

I use federal self defense but I have never shot any yet. I use the cheaper stuff she. I take it to the range.

I've never been able to comprehend carrying one type of ammo, yet target practicing with another. I firmly believe you should shoot what you carry, and carry what you shoot.

For one thing, not many people can afford to practice with Cor-Bon ammo. Because I can afford to shoot WWB for practice doesn't mean that it's a good idea to carry WWB -- it's not.

We all just do the best we can . . . :D

When I had/carried a LCP I carried Gold Dot in it. TNOutdoors9 has some decent testing done with that particular round. Then again I couldn't shoot that gun worth anything. Speaking of which I think I've still got 10 or 15 rounds of the stuff.

not an lcp but I alternate solid ball ammo and critical defense in my 380. Too many reports of excellent expansion that does not have the energy to penetrate properly, so I strongly recommend the 2 ammo approach just in case.