Seating Gas Checks

I finally got a few 7mm gas checks to use on my Lee .285-130 boolits that I cast. Now I have no way to seat and crimp them.

I was wondering if anyone around Murfreesboro has a Lee "push through" bullet sizing die in either .285 or .286? I just need to put on a few of these GC's to see if they work. If I start using them all the time, then I'll invest in a die of my own.

Oh, in case you were wondering, I shoot them in my 7-30 Waters Contender.

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

36 views and no comments or suggestions yet. Let's ask it this way:

Does anyone have a .285 or .286 Lyman or RCBS lubrisizer die that I could use to seat a few GC's? I have access to friends with both. Just need a die.

Or.......

Can anyone suggest a method to seat and crimp on my GC's without a special die? I have figured out how to get them on and seated, just not crimped.

Thanks.

Hey mike, do you have a factory crimp die for the 7/30?

In a pinch, you can put the checks on and press them against the bench to be sure they are seated squarely. Then carefully put the base of the boolit into the FCD from the TOP, base first, just far enough to get the gas check in. Bringing the ram up to close on the die will close the collet and crimp the check.

As far as sizing, If they fit the throat, run 'em!

Caster,

Thanks for the idea. I don't have a FCD for the Waters though. I've been shooting the boolits as cast (.285/286) and they shoot great at 1350-1400fps. Just thought I might put some zip on them up to about 1900 and need the GC's for that. Looks like I just need to order a Lee push through. They make a .285 but not a .286. I may end up honing it out a little to keep from sizing the boolits.