New Gun Store

Guest matthewg0607

Guest matthewg0607

Hey Everyone,

I'm opening up a gun store- its called Red Hawk Armaments.

I'm just wandering Whats everyone's favorite Gun ? Like the one you will always have, or look to buy?

Hey Everyone,

I'm opening up a gun store- its called Red Hawk Armaments.

I'm just wandering Whats everyone's favorite Gun ? Like the one you will always have, or look to buy? I'll be opening up in Smyrna in the old town square. Right off front street .

Edited by matthewg0607
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Matthew good luck with the store, where are you planning on locating?

As far as your question, unfortunately you'll probably find you just have to have everything. I own single actions, semis, SA/DA, 9mm, 357.,.22,..... You get the idea. I think these days most anything you stock will probably sell so long as it's not priced like a family heirloom .

Not MY personal favourites, but it seems like the pocket guns are really selling now, i.e. LCR/LCP, Smith Bodyguard/J frames, Sig 238, Kahr PM/CM. Seems like a stock of those will get you moving product pretty quickly. You'll have to have the plastics, Glock/M&P/XD, and 1911's would never hurt your business.

From my personal perspective, you'll do great if you 1) Charge reasonable prices for transfers, 2) Handle special orders well, 3) Don't stand behind the counter like Tactical Ted regurgitating every internet rumour/myth that comes along, 4) Pay just as much attention to the first time shoppers as you do the TACOPS/SupaNinjas that will no doubt stop in.

Bottom line, it's already been proven that taking care of ALL of your customers will ALWAYS supercede the selection you have on hand.

I pride myself on giving a chance to every gun shop in the MidTN area. Let us know when you open the doors, and I'll be sure to stop by.

Best of luck,

Mac

If I were to open a new gun store, the following is where I'd start:

Glock, Hi-Point, Springfield XD/XDM, Ruger LC/LCP/LCR/SR, S&W Sigma/M&P/J-Frame, Kel-Tec, SIG, Kahr PM/CM, Mossberg and Remington shotguns, various AR's, various 1911's.

I guess much depends on your budget/investment for your initial inventory. If you're on a fairly tight budget, I would research the best selling guns over the last couple years and stick with them as much as you can. Once you've built up enough money you can venture into guns that may sit on the shelf for slightly longer periods of time.

Try to have a little something for everyone. Not everyone can afford/is willing to drop $500+ on a gun. I'm not sure of the profit margin, but Hi-Points always seem to be on many of the "Best Selling" lists I've seen.

Edited by TripleDigitRide

Like McAllyn said, great customer service goes a long way. Some of these gun store owners need to focus on that department, especially during the hiring process. I've met some really nice owners, but the people they employ have zero business dealing with the general public. Remember, not everyone that walks in the door is going to be as knowledgeable about firearms as you.

As others said, its across the board. Hunting stuff seems to move the slowest; the stores I go to seem to have the exact same guns for quite a while in that category (shotguns and deer rifles). I think most hunters have all they need and in the current economy few are looking to get a sackful of this type of gun.

Most popular right now, due to election year insanity, are defensive weapons (semi automatic rifles in medium to weak calibers like 223, pistols like glocks, pocket pistols, defensive shotguns (semi auto or pump, either upgradable from a bird gun or already configured). Ammo and primers are also in very high demand right now.

Personally, this year, I have budgeted for

1 sig 938

1 single action 9mm semi auto of some sort

1 trigger kit for my ruger 22

1 who knows what for my wife

1 22 LR revolver, maybe

and probably $500 in reloading materials (most of that is primers and powders, however if your store were near me and had cheap lead bullets in my calibers I would get that from you too). I mostly find brass. I will buy used brass cheap, but not new brass. I won't pay a ton for the used brass, its a small fee for the minor effort of somone sweeping it into a bucket and sorting it, which is not exactly difficult to do.

I love me a gun shop that has a range and allows testing/rental of used guns. I would rather drive for 30 min to a shop way out of town that has a range, in other words.

Be the guy that can get what people ask for in a reasonable time and at a competetive price. That is difficult; small local shops are at the mercy of the big distributors who favor bigger places (bigger orders). But working hard asap to develop strong supply lines and, more important, the attitude of "I can get one of those for you, let me find out what I can do" is huge.

Oh, yea, one more thing. Don't be that guy that treats my wife (or any woman) like she is a child who got lost and wandered in. Lot of gun stores turn women (and their husbands...) away by their immediate "are you lost" type approach to women customers.

Edited by Jonnin

TRD has hit all of the highlight's on product inventory and customer service has also been covered. I recommend that you also make your shop female shooter friendly. By this I mean that you try to maintain holster's, purse holster's and hearing protection in stock for them. Also don't "tell them" what they need to purchase, encourage them to look around and handle different handgun's. Answer question's but don't subject them to war stories or personal opinion's. You'll find that the word get's out on this and more female shooter's and prospective shooter's will visit your store. Their husband's, boyfriend's and family member's will also visit.

Guest Bassman17SC

1911s! From RIA to SA to SW to Colt to Kimber to DW to Nighthawk to Les to Ed Brown to Wilson Combat. Sorry, really a good selection of most of the major brands of pistols/revolvers, rifles, shotguns, ammo, accessories should be fine. Please let us know when the grand opening is. Really to me, it is the interpersonal interaction between store owners/employees (i.e., "customer service") that can make or break a gun shop.