Maybe this IS how Stand Your Ground works

Guest profgunner

Guest profgunner

You wouldn't have been in any danger unless you could fly. A lot of rounds went into the air.

Well, it's not the bullets I'd be running from!!! It would be that "shaking booty" !!!!!!

So you're saying that if someone was following you and you knew them to be armed, you would attack them, being unarmed yourself. This makes no sense. :ugh:

No - but then I would not be unarmed. I would probably call 911 on my cell phone, inform the operator that I was being pursued by an unknown, armed individual and request police response to sort out the situation. If the guy pursuing me caught up with me before the police arrive, I would likely do whatever I felt was necessary to respond to someone I perceived as presenting a possible threat of death or serious, bodily injury to me. In other words, I would stand my ground. We all talk about 'situational awareness' and I have to say that having some unknown dude obviously following me would off some warning bells, with me.

Of course, if I were unarmed and afraid he might follow me all the way home, I might try to evade the guy and then get the jump on him. Of course I wasn't there and can't know for sure but would not be surprised if that this is exactly what Martin did.

If I am in a neighborhood, where I do not live I might add, and someone starts following me, my first thought is get the hell out; armed or not.

Maybe - but in such a situation you would be well within your legal rights to stand your ground, correct? And the person who got out of his vehicle to follow you on foot would be in the wrong and would deserve whatever measures you took to defend against a reasonably perceived threat of death or serious, bodily injury.

Edited by JAB

Nobody knew he was armed unless he had his gun drawn. Open carry isn't legal there.

And Zimmerman would certainly have strictly observed that law and not allowed his weapon to show, even just a little bit. Just like he'd never have the poor judgement to get out of his vehicle and, without any legal authority to do so, follow a person who was not doing anything illegal or wrong.

....without any legal authority to do so, follow a person who was not doing anything illegal or wrong.

He didn't even have a "semi-official mandate" from homeowner's association or anything, right? I mean, he simply self-appointed himself as a "community watch captain", yes?

- OS

Guest Lester Weevils

Neighborhood watch groups are concerned about the increase in crime in their neighborhoods. If someone who doesn't appear right to them, they notify the police. I don't know what, other than that, happened. Sure, I would be a bit mad if I was misunderstood to be one of those elements, but I wouldn't start a fight to solve the problem.

Hi 6.8

I would not be mad or offended, merely vigilant in case the stranger is gonna make trouble. If Martin mis-read the situation and responded inappropriately then that is a shocker! It may be the first time in recorded history where a teen behaved stupidly! :)

Maybe Martin had a chip on his shoulder and wanted to beat-down whitey. Maybe Martin thought Zimmerman was a creepy prevert trying to pick him up. Maybe Martin thought Zimmerman was a local gang-banger enforcing turf. No way to know.

He didn't even have a "semi-official mandate" from homeowner's association or anything, right? I mean, he simply self-appointed himself as a "community watch captain", yes?

Have read that it was a self-appointed title but dunno. If it was not an official title then perhaps Zimmerman was lacking proper ambition? Why not a more elevated rank such as Community Watch Vice-Admiral or Community Watch Supreme Commander? :)

Guest 6.8 AR

If, indeed, it was a chip on his shoulder, it got him killed. I also wonder what the drug screen revealed

at his autopsy. another possibility. Some of these chips are worse than a bone spur in the wrong place.