What do you have for purifying water?

Guest USMC 2013

Guest USMC 2013

I saw an item in a Cheaper than Dirt flyer that utilized some sort of ceramic "filter" set in a 5g bucket, that sits on top of a second 5g bucket. Water drains through ceramic deal and it supposed to be safe to drink at that point. Anyone use one of these before? Thoughts? Recommendations? Here's a link,

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP352-1.html

If you're using/planning to use something different for water purification, what is it? Have you tried it, if so, what are your thoughts? Thanks,

Semper Fi,

Joe

Build a sand filter. They are cheap and effective. It takes a couple of weeks to build up the shmutzdecke layer (mud layer) and after that the water is safe directly out of the filter. For the first two weeks you need to boil but after that all bad stuff is either killed or filtered out.

I used a 5 gallon bucket, play sand, gravel and a cloth membrane to separate the gravel and sand. It will filter a 8 ounce glass of water per minute.

There are designs all over the web and are in use all over the world.

It may not be that portable but it will last forever.

Dolomite

Any of your local outfitter or sporting goods type places will have all manner of filtration systems available. I have a few packs of purification tablets that I keep in my hiking pack. It's enough for several days worth at least. Beyond that, there's stuff like solar stills, sand filters, and boiling.

Big Berkey, stainless steel and has been in daily use for a bit over 3 years now.

It is worth every penny we paid for it.

I use the standard white ceramic filters and have the PF2 Fluoride and Arsenic Reduction units attached. we have a backup set of Black Berkey filters for a "just in case" scenario.

We are on municipal water, but you would have to taste the Berkey filtered water to appreciate the amount of foul tasting and potentially harmful crap it filters out. :up:

In my GHB I carry a Sport Berkey.

I talked with Jeff Gleason, the owner/operator of Directive21, a Berkey distributor, about the Sport Berkey filter system. it utilizes the Black Berkey elements and probably does a bit better job of filtering water than even our big Berkey.

I gave one to a friend that went on a mission trip to Haiti last fall. She was impressed with how well it worked, and it obviously worked well as she returned safe and sound and in good health.

I do have a sand filter setup, because being prepared is about options and redundancy.

I haven't tried the one linked in the OP, but have read numerous positive reviews about them.

I wouldn't mind adding a set to the "redundancy pile". :pleased:

• Like 1
Guest Scramasax

I've had Katadyns since they were new. Carried one all over the world.

Note:Will NOT filter out noxious gases. Found this out in a cave in Romania.

Cheers,

ts

Evaporate and condense, doesn't make a whole lot of water. It does work however. I guess it all depends on what you think you need to do. If I were Bugging in or in at a Safe House, I would definitely set up the sand filter system, if for nothing else than as a back up to a well or a public water line. If I were really out in the woods and living off the grid, then it might be my main purification system.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a friend that bought a couple of the bucket-type filters. I haven't asked him yet how well he likes them. I've been considering becoming a small distributor for the company that makes the filters mentioned in the first post. Most likely selling only locally.

They also make water bottle filters and backpack filters for portability.

I think I'll start another thread to gauge interest before i spend any capital, though.

Will

A Pot and a Flint, good to go!

This is good for disinfecting but what about sediment and other debris in the water? I personally don't like leaf soup.

Also, no need to boil to disinfect. Clear the water up then place it in a clear container. Place it the sun for a day and the natural UV light will kill all organisms in the bottle. This method is being used worldwide.

Dolomite

I have a Berkey as well. Bought it for "just in case" and ended up using it for a couple months at my new house before I got a filter system installed. Enthusiastic two thumbs up.

Have an MSR miniwerks in my pack. Works very well but slow.

i have a katadyn hiker and a msr miox for prtable filters. i also have some chlorine tabs of some sort i got in the walmart camping section as well as some iodine tabs. for bulk or longer term, i have 2lbs of Calcium Hypochlorite to make liquid bleack. i bought it as pool shock, but have to be sure it doesnt have the extra anti fungal chemicals and such in it. normal bleach will lose its potency starting as soon as 3 months and will be basically salt water after 2-3 years. the pool shock will stay good almost indefinitely and when mixed, use as fresh bleach.

my next project is a couple black berkey filter elements to make bucket berkeys from. i will only use 1 filter each so i have a pair for redundancy even if it is a bit slower.

On my most recent hiking/backcountry camping trip with my friends we decided to boil water so we didnt have to carry 6450515315616 bottles of water. Boiling water..... is a pain in the ass.... time consuming... just.... sucks... in general.

You have to have a hot enough fire to boil water in the first place and be able to maintain it. Water takes forever to boil. Then you have to have a method of cooling the water down before you can drink it. On the move just sucks. We ran out of water with about 4 more miles back to the car. Hot Day... Never again....

I got an aquamira pro frontier filter from amazon for $25. It filters 50 gallons and includes a straw.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys. I just researched this and I now know how to build one. Between this, storing some water, having water purification tablets, and boiling water I think that about covers it. Also, there are literally hundreds of springs bubbling up from underground in East Tennessee. That water is already as pure as it can get. I definitely plan on taking advantage of those as well.

A sand filter is defnitely something good to make on the fly if you get stuck in a sticky situation. Only bad thing is that sand could be kind of hard to find around these parts.