Where to find good sushi

My favorite in K-Town used to be Tomo when it was downtown and 'mama-san' was the sushi chef. It moved from downtown to a location in West Knoxville and I think she retired or something. I've heard it is still pretty good but not as good as when it was downtown and she made the sushi. I haven't eaten there since it moved.

Recently, I've mostly had sushi at Kanpai of Tokyo. The sushi is actually pretty good and they have a certain night (Thursday, I think) when they have specials on a lot of their sushi. We sit in the 'sushi pub' area and just eat sushi and appetizers (like edamame and gyoza) rather than sitting in the main area.

In general, my favorite types of sushi are unagi ('barbecued' freshwater eel), spicy tuna and tako (octopus) in that order. I also like futomaki and rainbow rolls. Kanpai has a good one called tako yaki which has chopped octopus and something that makes it crunchy. I don't like California rolls because I don't like cucumber - although caterpillar roll is pretty good (for the uninitiated, no it doesn't have caterpillar in it but is called that because of the way it looks - plus I find California rolls to be kind of boring/bland. I don't care for the roe types of sushi or 'stronger' tasting fish such as mackerel but will eat them if they come on a 'sushi platter' with things I do like. I don't usually dilute the wasabi with soy sauce, preferring to put a small amount of straight wasabi on each piece of sushi.

Edited by JAB

Anyone else enjoy some good sushi? I had to meet up with a fellow TGOer this evening, so my girlfriend and I decided to get some sushi. We ended up at Shogun at exit 4. OMG, they have some very good sushi. It's not the cheapest, but good sushi is worth the money, imho.

Where are some of your favorite sushi joints?

First thing that came to mind is a bait shop around the corner. :D

What do you call sushi in Tennessee? BAIT. LOL

My favorite in K-Town used to be Tomo when it was downtown and 'mama-san' was the sushi chef. It moved from downtown to a location in West Knoxville and I think she retired or something. I've heard it is still pretty good but not as good as when it was downtown and she made the sushi. I haven't eaten there since it moved.

Recently, I've mostly had sushi at Kanpai of Tokyo. The sushi is actually pretty good and they have a certain night (Thursday, I think) when they have specials on a lot of their sushi. We sit in the 'sushi pub' area and just eat sushi and appetizers (like edamame and gyoza) rather than sitting in the main area.

In general, my favorite types of sushi are unagi ('barbecued' freshwater eel), spicy tuna and tako (octopus) in that order. I also like futomaki and rainbow rolls. Kanpai has a good one called tako yaki which has chopped octopus and something that makes it crunchy. I don't like California rolls because I don't like cucumber - although caterpillar roll is pretty good (for the uninitiated, no it doesn't have caterpillar in it but is called that because of the way it looks - plus I find California rolls to be kind of boring/bland. I don't care for the roe types of sushi or 'stronger' tasting fish such as mackerel but will eat them if they come on a 'sushi platter' with things I do like. I don't usually dilute the wasabi with soy sauce, preferring to put a small amount of straight wasabi on each piece of sushi.

Tomo's is still good. They used to have half price on Thursday from 5-7. I'm not sure if that still goes on. But I still like their sushi.

Tomo's is still good. They used to have half price on Thursday from 5-7. I'm not sure if that still goes on. But I still like their sushi.

Good to know. Maybe I'll wander back in there one of these days - especially if they still have that special.