Taurus PT92 AFS Stainless?

TN Outlaw

i picked up a like new 2002 Taurus PT92 AFS, i read somewhere that it was made in Brazil Using Beretta machinery i dont know if thats true but i just want to know how good a gun it is and whats the best holster for it.

Edited by TN Outlaw
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's pretty much the case. I understand the Beretta clones were initially made in Brazil on machinery Taurus purchased from Beretta. Can't speak to the holster question, but I have had several of the PT full-size guns, a PT100/40, and the PT92, and never had an issue with them. They were pretty much some of the best Taurus guns I've ever had.

Congrats on picking up a good gun. Take a note that your PT92AFS has an accessory rail (that's the "A"). It will make a difference when finding a holster. Most made for the Beretta 92 won't fit right.

Like D3vo said, I have a blued Beretta 92FS and a stainless Taurus PT-92.

The Beretta is better built, but costs more. The fit is really good on my Taurus, but it's great on the Beretta. The trigger is fine on the Taurus, but smoother on the Beretta. I like both of them for different reasons, and I trust both to work when needed. The Beretta is better, but not by a lot. The Taurus is usually considerably cheaper and is a great value.

There are also non-quality things that are different. The Taurus has the safety/decocker on the slide and up is fire. When cocked, flipping it down from "fire" will both safe AND decock the firearm.

The Taurus has its lever on the frame and is a 3-position lever. Up is safe, middle is fire, and all the way down is decock (which IIRC springs back up to the middle position after decocking).

(It has been a while since I shot them, so these details may be slightly off. I don't feel like getting them out of the safe to check them.)

This difference in position means that grips are not usually interchangeable.

The rear sights are also different, but right now I don't recall which is which and what the exact difference is. I don't recall if the Taurus ones are adjustable or not, but I think they are.

In my opinion, the Beretta has a cleaner look, mostly because I don't like Taurus' need to emblazon gigantic TAURUS lettering on every slide/barrel they produce. I do like the Taurus stainless over the Beretta Inox, but that's preference. I want my "silver" guns to shine. Blasphemy, I know.

Edited by monkeylizard

i read somewhere that it was made in Brazil Using Beretta machinery

I'm pretty sure that's true, but I'm far from being an expert on these guns. Beretta opened a factory in Brazil to make arms for the Brazilian military. When the contract ended (late 70's or early 80's, IIRC), Taurus bought the plant, tools, and licensing rights for the designs and kept the work force. Over time, Taurus made some changes to the 92 design, resulting in the slight differences seen today. some of the designs are an improvement over the Beretta, but it's sometimes a matter of opinion on which ones those are. ;)

Shortly before that time (mid 70's) Taurus was affiliated with Smith & Wesson in some way. They had the same parent company I think. They sold off Taurus to whoever owns it now before the Beretta factory deal.

Edited by monkeylizard

Esmeralda makes wood grips for Beretta 92 series I am pretty sure it will work for you. Also vz grips makes some too!

There is possible exception. At least in my case the PT92 safety is on the frame so the grips need a cut out. The Beretta 92 is on the slide so no cut out is required.

Edited by D3vo

wow this is crazy .. i came to post asking about this exact gun but blued not stainless ... found one used for around $400 out the door was looking at the SR9 (new) which would cost about $480 out the door ... i actually LOVE the way the saftey/decocker is set up on the PT92 AFS because it is identical to the Ruger SR22 which is the only gun my wife has shot so far (and loves it) ... and im looking for a good full size gun that has a less stiff slide than the SR9C so she can use it to step up from the .22 as well as being a home defense gun/range toy .. i LOVE the trigger on the SR9 series though, has anyone shot both the SR9/SR9C and the PT92 who can comment on the difference in the trigger? (my LGS is kinda weird about letting you dry fire their guns) and also .. do you think it's a good deal used at $80 less than the SR9 NIB? (money is exceptionaly tight)

That depends on the condition. For one that is like new and that's out-the-door price it's fair, in my opinion. It's not a super-duper deal, but it's not terrible. If it's rough, I'd pass at that price.

Bud's has them new for $458, plus transfer fee. I see like-new blued Beretta's on the TGO Classifieds for about $500 every so often.

I have a stainless pt99 (same model with adj sights). It's a great pistol. Any beretta 92 holster will fit, but grips will not. If you want wood grips, checkout eBay. There is a Guy in Thailand that makes awesome rosewood grips for a nice price.

Different mags. The Taurus ones hold an extra round or 2. IIRC, Beretta's are 15 rd, Taurus' are 17 rd.

I have heard that Beretta mags can be modified to fit in the Taurus, but not the other way around. I'm not sure what "modifications" need to be made.

I got a great deal on some Beretta mags on the TGO Classifieds, so keep yours eyes on the "Gear Classifieds" section of the Trading Post.

If you don't want to wait, you can check with your LGS or order some. CDNN has the Taurus mags for $29.99. I don't know how that compares to LGS prices.

http://site.cdnninvestments.com/CDNN2012-2/index.html

Page 78

Edited by monkeylizard

Esmeralda makes wood grips for Beretta 92 series I am pretty sure it will work for you. Also vz grips makes some too!

Esmeralda has some nice grips. I've got a pair on a 1911 and plan to use a pair from Esmeralda to replace those on my Beretta M9.