Do ya'll eat Hush Puppies with your Barbecue?

Guest rockytop

I haven't had a real good hushpuppy in years.

Then you haven't had one from "Catfish Cabin" on South Highland in Jackson, Tn. Occasionally, I make my meal on their hushpuppies and slaw. If you are ever in Jackson, be sure to eat there.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 6.8 AR

Then you haven't had one from "Catfish Cabin" on South Highland in Jackson, Tn. Occasionally, I make my meal on their hushpuppies and slaw. If you are ever in Jackson, be sure to eat there.

I don't get to Jackson very often. I sometimes make to Casey Jones Museum for a meeting.

I will make it a point to see about having that meeting there, though. I'm assuming the

catfish is good, also?

Mmmmmmm.....Hushpuppies. That makes me miss Uncle Bud's, when there was only one location (Stewarts Ferry). They did have the best hushpuppies, imho.

He has opened up a place in Nolensville. He took over the old Martins BBQ location after Martins built a new building across the street.

And no. I have never heard of having hushpuppies with bbq. Fried cornbread is what God fearing Southerners eat with their bbq.

mmmmm.... hushpuppies. mmmmm..... cornbread. mmmmmm......bbq. mmmmmm..... catfish. :yum:

I just got back from lunch and you guys are making me hungry again. Come to think of it, I fried some cornmeal breaded catfish for dinner the night before last and last night my wife fixed crock-pot bbq chicken and with cornbread. That'll make for some good left-overs this weekend.

I had to go out at lunch today to find me some paracord, and I just happened to pass a Captain D's. Because of this thread, my mouth started watering and I pulled into the drive thru to get me some fish, fries, and hush puppies. Don't know why it was so good, but it was.

I was born in AL and until now had believed it illegal to eat hushpuppies with anything except fried catfish. How can people eat hushpuppies with pork out in public, in front of god and everybody, and avoid a long jail term, or at least a citation?

Here's how I do it. You take the hush puppy and bite off his head, then you poor some Texas Pete down in him and you take a bite. My family is from Baldwin County and Barbour County Alabamer.

11-28-11dcphoto0477.JPG

It is hard to find a restaurant (BBQ or Catfish) that knows how to make a good hushpuppy. Some of the worst hushpuppies are found at Florida seafood restaurants. A hushpuppy should be "light" with a crispy outside and a cooked through inside. Not dried out inside but slightly moist. Hushpuppies should not be hard enough to be used as a weapon. The best hushpuppies I ever had were made with a recipe from the old Bellis Botel down below Pickwick Dam. The owner of the Botel used to come to the Boat/Sports show out a the old large arena out at the State Fairgrounds in Nashville. He would be cooking hushpuppies to hand out. He would also give out the recipe. My father spent a lot of time talking to Bill Bellis about how to cook the fish and hushpuppies. The hushpuppies were light yet crispy. I believe the hushpuppies had some sour cream in them. My father took the recipe and upped the amount of onion. We had some of the best fish dinners with family. The hushpuppies were as much of a hit as the fish.

Guest Lester Weevils

When I was a kid in central AL in the 1950's, there was this catfish place the family would go to out in the woods on a gravel road right alongside the coosa river. Googled and found some "famous" place called The Ark but that one doesn't quite fit what I recall.

As best I recall the place was a fairly big unfinished pine shack on stilts which didn't have walls or windows. Think it had a galvanized steel roof like barns and sharecropper shacks. It was just a big screened-in shack to keep out the bugs, with picnic table type furniture and a couple of hanging fans to keep the 100 degree humid air moving somewhat. Presumably the catfish came from the coosa river, but dunno where it came from. Dunno if people had started farm-raising catfish yet in the 1950's.

It may have been an all you can eat joint, but regardless there was always plenty to eat. IIRC, the menu was mainly fried catfish, spherical huspuppies a little bigger than a golfball but smaller than a tennis ball, slaw and tartar sauce, baked beans and fried chicken for customers who didn't like catfish. Diabetic-shock sweet tea and soft drinks.

Those catfish seemed unusually bony and I'd take my time picking thru to avoid choking on bones. Old Dad had a talent for eating catfish. He could just about eat every bit of the meat and leave an intact fish skeleton behind on the plate. By the time he was done he would have a giant mound of fish skeletons piled on the plate.

That cat fish had a strong "fishy" taste as best I recall, as did the hushpuppies which most likely shared the same cooking lard. A few years ago ate catfish at a bob evans restaurant. Farm raised and filleted with nary a bone to be found. Eat it with a fork like a filleted chicken breast. Didn't even have a hint of fishy taste, though it tasted very good. Didn't even taste like the same fish as what was consumed long ago. Maybe that slow-moving coosa river green-topped brown opaque mucky water imparted its own unique flavor?

There was/is a barbecue joint in Birmingham called the Golden Rule. Everybody in the family appreciated that stuff and we would have to get a big order every time driving thru on visits home in later years. They had both mild and hot sauce. One item was called outside meat. Cut from the outside of the cooked pieces. Hard and crunchy, nearly charcoal. Doctors now claim that carbonized meat causes stomach cancer, but the stomach cancer would almost be worth it.

Some of the better barbecue places were all you can eat and they tried to economize on the amount of meat customers would eat by first serving a giant bowl of mulligan stew to get customers kinda full before attacking the meat. I enjoyed the mulligan stew as much as anything else they served. Haven't had mulligan stew for many years. I recall many good barbecue joints in various towns in AL and GA back then.