Do ya'll eat Hush Puppies with your Barbecue?

In Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina, they serve Pork Barbecue. I know that in Texas they don't like to eat their household pets, so they make beef barbecue. But in the rest of the south the pig is what we call barbecue. Although Texas beef brisket is wonderful! I was at an Alabama Barbecue place recently and I ordered barbecue and a dozen Hush Puppies. The guy looked at me like I was from outer space! "We don't serve Hush Puppies with barbecue in Alabama. We serve Hush Puppies with Catfish." So I ask, "Well what do you serve with Barbecue?" He said "White bread". Huh.....I felt like I was on another planet. So my question is................does anyone in Tennessee serve Hush Puppies with their Barbecue?

Eastern North Carolina is famous for it's vineger based pork barbecue. South Carolina is famous for it's mustard based barbecue. East Tennessee makes a wonderful hickory smoked barbecue with a tomato base and West Tennessee makes their Memphis style barbecue that I love so much.

I do love any meat slow cooked over a fire, it's a southern tradition.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina, they serve Pork Barbecue. I know that in Texas they don't like to eat their household pets, so they make beef barbecue. But in the rest of the south the pig is what we call barbecue. Although Texas beef brisket is wonderful! I was at an Alabama Barbecue place recently and I ordered barbecue and a dozen Hush Puppies. The guy looked at me like I was from outer space! "We don't serve Hush Puppies with barbecue in Alabama. We serve Hush Puppies with Catfish." So I ask, "Well what do you serve with Barbecue?" He said "White bread". Huh.....I felt like I was on another planet. So my question is................does anyone in Tennessee serve Hush Puppies with their Barbecue?

Eastern North Carolina is famous for it's vineger based pork barbecue. South Carolina is famous for it's mustard based barbecue. East Tennessee makes a wonderful hickory smoked barbecue with a tomato base and West Tennessee makes their Memphis style barbecue that I love so much.

I do love any meat slow cooked over a fire, it's a southern tradition.

Was it Dreamland by chance?

Guest Lester Weevils

I was born in AL and until now had believed it illegal to eat hushpuppies with anything except fried catfish. How can people eat hushpuppies with pork out in public, in front of god and everybody, and avoid a long jail term, or at least a citation?

Growing up in Florida it was always hushpuppies with fish. Usually mullet because my parents didnot like freshwater fish. I didnot like fish so I usually only ate the puppies,slaw,beans etc.

Not that I've ever heard of but Buddy's, the local fast food BBQ chain does sell hush puppies. They certainly don't in Memphis unless something has changed since I grew up.

I once ordered a rib sandwich from Buddy's. It was 3 ribs on a white hamburger bun. Bones and all..

No hushpuppies in my part of the state. But it's a damn good idea.

Edited by Raoul

Yeah, hush puppies and catfish. Not much better. It does seem to be somewhat of a Southern tradition. As does cornbread cakes with barbeque. But I have had hush puppies with bbq and think it's pretty good. Actually can't rmember where in Nashville/middle tenn that it was though.

Guest 6.8 AR

Hushpuppies in Calabash maybe. Come to think of it I didn't even eat any, there. Too many other things

on the plate to worry about the hushpuppies. I haven't had a real good hushpuppy in years.

Growing up in Florida it was always hushpuppies with fish. Usually mullet because my parents didnot like freshwater fish. I didnot like fish so I usually only ate the puppies,slaw,beans etc.

I grew up in Boynton Beach, just south of West Palm. We had "Bud's Chicken and Fish" which started out local and became a franchise. They had awesome hushpuppies. I always remember they had whole pieces of corn in them. That is how I always expect them to be now.

I once ordered a rib sandwich from Buddy's. It was 3 ribs on a white hamburger bun. Bones and all..

You should go to Memphis and get a pork chop sammich. :lol:

The first time I went to Buddy's here in Knoxville was as a freshman at UT. Walked up to the counter and asked for a jumbo hot as that's what I was used to growing up. Girl at the counter was like "huh?" I repeated the requested and received the same dull stare. After the third attempt she pointed up to the menu where there was pork, beef, chicken and turkey listed. After that initial culture shock I properly ordered a large pork sandwich with hot sauce.

Sat down at the table, started eating then had to go back up to the counter. There WAS NO SLAW on it! It was an extra charge and you had to ask for it first. She thought I was crazy. :rolleyes:

Just goes to show how regional the customs surrounding ambrosia is.

I can eat my weight in hushpuppies but never think about it with Q.

I think it's a part of the country thing. Growing up in Western NC I remember eating hush puppies with barbeque, but most of the time it was at fish places. When I lived in Charleston, SC I couldn't find a place that served BBQ and hushpuppies, only seafood places had them. When I lived near Seattle they had no clue what hushpuppies were, let-alone good BBQ.