Another stand your ground story?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do believe we are well past that point OS. Funny how this story hasn't seen the media frenzy .... yet.

Couldn't get this to work on my phone, but I get the gist based on your comments. I imagine the reason the other story got so much press initially was due to the 911 tapes and how incriminating they were to the shooter. Pair that up with the fact there was no arrest, sprinkle a little racial tension on top and you got yourself a national story.

Shooting an unarmed kid on a skateboard is hard to sensationalize without further info, and there is less potential for a cover-up scandal since the guy is in custody. Equally tragic, but less movie-like drama.

WHY is this just now making the news when it happened in 2010? Looks like another example of the media pursuing an agenda.

And, I realize the victim's widow was grieving when she was being interviewed, but, really? Why do people carry guns in parks?? Really?

Guest RevScottie

Yeah, he admits in initial hearing of pulling the gun BEFORE there was any physical contact from the unarmed victim.

- OS

Could it be reasonably assumed that an elderly man felt in fear for his life from a much younger stronger man who was threatening him? I could see a good lawyer making that go either way. You can bet the victims military training and physical size will be used against him. In court this will be turned into raging ex soldier attacks an elderly black man :(

....Shooting an unarmed kid on a skateboard is hard to sensationalize without further info,...

Shot his dad, not the kid. Dad was fairly recently returned home military.

Anything's possible. Black guy comes armed from his house across the street to confront them over skating on the tennis court, though. Certainly the main lesson is to keep out of petty crap that doesn't harm you in any way, or at the most file a complaint through proper channels if you must.

- OS

Shot his dad, not the kid. Dad was fairly recently returned home military.

- OS

Okay, couldn't get the video to work.

I would agree on avoiding confrontation, especially when packing. A few weeks ago I was at the park with my three year old. Guy gets out of his truck with a 90 lb pound pit bull and just lets him run off leash. The dog proceeds to piss on the playground equipment. I scooped up my kid immediately. I wanted so bad to tell him to leash his dog, but called the cops instead. I'm sure the police have more important things to do than enforce leash laws, but I should be able to take my kid to the park without worrying about my child coming into contact with such a large animal under no control. I'm sure if I had confronted the guy it wouldn't have ended in any desired outcome of mine.

Thanks I have been loking for the names for this one since I saw a little snippet of it yesterday. This account has a lot more detail http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/witnesses-dispute-trevor-dooleys-stand-your-ground-claim-in-valrico/1206308 not as clear cut looking as the one now. Dooly was a dumbass for taking the gun over to the ball court but he had turned to leave.

As for why would anyone take a gun to the park, why take it anywhere. Mine is with me anywhere it is legal.

Joe W.

...As for why would anyone take a gun to the park, why take it anywhere. Mine is with me anywhere it is legal.

Me too, but I'm gonna make even less of a special effort to go get in somebody's face armed. Not to mention somebody who can obviously probably whip my ass in fisticuffs from the gitgo -- which is a much bigger field these days than yesteryear, btw, and that doofus out-geezers me by 8 years!

- OS

Edited by OhShoot

Gee I don't recall Al Sharpton flying down to FL back then. Why not? Um, because the colors are reversed. Well kind of. I read Zimmerman described by Wendi Thomas (Commie Appeal) as a "white Hispanic". What is that? Does that make Obama a "white African American"? Al Sharpton heard "white" and got on his jet ASAP.

Btw, this sure doesn't sound much like "stand your ground" either. The guy drew before there was any physical contact. Case closed. Throw the book at him and Zimmerman.

Guest Lester Weevils

TN HCP permit class curriculum warns that you can't go around shooting people just because you might be losing a fair-and-square fist fight-- Especially if you share responsibility for starting it.

Zimmerman and Martin were close-matched in age. If Zimmerman provoked the conflict by getting in the kid's face-- But then Zimmerman shot because he was getting his butt kicked "fair and square"-- On the surface this appears to conflict with TN HCP class advice. If Zimmerman was such a wimp that he couldn't defend himself against a bare-fisted school kid, then maybe Zimmerman shouldn't have provoked the fight. If he had obeyed the 911 dispatcher's advice then there wouldn't have been a fight.

On the other hand Trevor Dooley was 71 years young. Dooley wasn't looking fer trouble. He crossed the street because he was too deef to understand what that young man was yelling. Besides, if it is a public park where even whippersnappers and juvenile delinquent skate punks can loiter, then why in the world can't old Trevor Dooley stroll over there if he wants to? Its a free country ain't it?

You can't expect a decrepit elderly feller to defend himself in fisticuffs against a big fit man 30 years his junior! Unlike Zimmerman, Dooley could righteously fear for his life when rudely knocked down by that disrespectful young'un. Ain't no respect for elders anymore.

In such situation deadly force would be more justified than with Zimmerman vs Martin. If some young bad-ass starts wailing on me then I'm old enough to shoot and then take my chances with a jury. On the other hand I would have been too cowardly to cross the street and hassle them disrespectful juvenile delinquents in the park. I would have even been too cowardly to yell at em-- As long as the dang kids stay out of my yard-- You kids stay outta my yard!! And no you can't have your ball back, or your frisbee either! And keep them newfangled skateboards off the driveway! I just had it resurfaced!

Prevailing internet wisdom-- "Don't pick a fight with an old man, he will just shoot you!"

In order to smooth over bad feelings and improve democrat public relations with the Black and Hispanic communities, Obama ought to hold another Beer Summit. He should invite Joe Biden, Eric Holder, Zimmerman and Dooley. Such a teachable moment will fix everything up better than ever!

....Prevailing internet wisdom-- "Don't pick a fight with an old man, he will just shoot you!".....

In order to smooth over bad feelings and improve democrat public relations with the Black and Hispanic communities, Obama ought to hold another Beer Summit. He should invite Joe Biden, Eric Holder, Zimmerman and Dooley. Such a teachable moment will fix everything up better than ever!

Invite Dick Cheney and they could all go on a gater hunting trip in LA.